How to stay in touch with a group?

joannelj

I am taking a group a Girl Scouts on a cruise to Nassau and Princess Cay. I'm not terribly worried about losing any of them on the ship. And most of them are pretty mature, and have no problems following instructions (ie - stay with an adult.)

But when we are at a port - that's what I'm worried about. I have one girl who gets distracted and wanders off WAY too easily. We spent an hour looking for her in an aquarium last year. I read her the riot act when I found her - and that evening she wandered away from the group at the pool without telling anyone where she was going. (She was playing a game in the aquarium, and never even realized that she was alone.)

And if that happens in port - I don't really want to think about it. Does anyone have any suggestions (other than a leash) on how to hang on to a 14 year old girl who might wander off? Or a way to contact her if she does get lost?

I would keep her on the ship in kid's camp if it's open on the port day. Would not risk something like that in a foreign country. If she wandered off at the end of the day, you could all miss the boat trying to find her as well.

How many adults are going for this group? If there's an adult in your group who is not interested in getting off the ship in Nassau (some folks don't), then that adult could stay with her on the ship. If she cannot be responsible enough at 14, she should not even be going in my opinion (you did ask for opinions, so no flaming please). No way would I even let them go on a cruise without the kid's own parental supervision. That's a liability disaster.

There are ways onboard the ship to stay in touch, but in port, I'm not familiar with any... maybe just use the buddy system? Pair someone with her and make them responsible for keeping an eye on her? Or have one of the chaperones take charge of her? It kind of sucks that someone has to sacrifice to do that, but it's the issue you face when you are responsible for kids.

I went on a Red Hat cruise (ladies over 50) and we had one woman just like that- without the excuse of being a 14 YO girl! Finally, we told her at the last port stop that no one was going to be babysitting her and if she wandered off, she better make sure she had her passport with her so she could fly home WHEN she missed the ship- not IF! Needless to say, when I handed her her passport (we were cabin roomies) as we were leaving the room she took us all seriously and stuck to us like glue the whole day... but only to wander off when we debarked the last day and kept our ride home waiting over half an hour so we could go home!

Make a parent come as a chaperone and assign them to her. Since she has a proven track record for not listening. Not only is Nassau a 'distraction' to her, the locals seem to try to pull groups apart - that's too much of a risk for anyone else to take on. Either keep her on the ship, have her own parent responsible for her, or leave her at home. 14 year olds should know how to follow directions or face the consequences.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I would NOT let the "wanderer" go anywhere ashore without an adult to watch her. I'd actually have 2nd thoughts about bringing her!

Exactly. Harsh but true. That is not a liability anyone should take on who is not this kid's parent.

As a girl scout troop leader myself - I would absolutely do what these other ladies suggested

Either have a parent come be responsible for her

Assign her to another girl scout ADULT chaperone

You take on the burden of being responsible for her

Leave her on the boat

Leave her at home

To be honest in this particular case I would consider leaving her at home - If she can't even be responsible on land what makes you think it would be better on a boat or in a foreign country

Keep in mind you are 100% responsible for these girls and neither you nor the Girl Scouts need the liability of losing a child

Not to go totally crazy about this but people who are trying to pray on travelers or young children are looking for the outliers and what easier way then to snatch a girl who keeps walking off from her group - Do you really want to live with that guilt for the rest of your life?

Wow, thanks for all the replies! Everything you've said is exactly what I've been thinking. Her mom was going to come, but now looks like she won't be able to take the time off of work. I would say the girl can't come, but there are other (more mature) girls the same age coming without their parent, so I can't really use that as an excuse. Every girl MUST have an adult that is willing to claim responsibility for them, even if it's not their own parent. I'm kind of hoping that no one will be willing to take her on. Of course, the drawback is that this girl is one who really needs to broaden her horizons and get some experience with life - and travel is such an important thing to help with that!

I plan to have a heart to heart with her mother, to see if she has any thoughts. I'm still hoping a miracle will happen, and mom will be able to come on the trip.

(And I personally would love a leash, except I know those are frowned on - especially for a kid this old!)

Perhaps once you speak with the girl's parents and they realize that unless they go, their girl won't go, they will prioritize her time. Sometimes reality has to slap you in the face to bring you back down to reality. I would only let the girl go if her parent accompanied her AND took full responsibility for her 100% of the entire trip.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk