Travel warning includes Cozumel

nascarcruiser

This is actually a re-issuance of a previous travel advisory. Nothing has changed.
As nascarcruiser mentioned, the advisory now includes the cruise ports of the Yucatan. This is from the OLD advisory:

LAST UPDATED: DECEMBER 8, 2016

Quintana Roo (includes Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, and Tulum):
No advisory is in effect. However, U.S. citizens should exercise caution when traveling south of Felipe Carrillo Puerto or east of Jose Maria Morelos as cellular and internet services are virtually non-existent.
[source:

As nascarcruiser mentioned, the advisory now includes the cruise ports of the Yucatan. This is from the OLD advisory:

[source:

From 8/22/17 Advisory:

Quintana Roo (includes Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, and Tulum): U.S. citizens should be aware that according to Government of Mexico statistics, the state of Quintana Roo experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured or killed, have occurred.

Has anyone who has been there recently felt unsafe? We have been at least 20 times and never had any reason to feel unsafe. Going again in Oct. Just wondering????

Has anyone who has been there recently felt unsafe? We have been at least 20 times and never had any reason to feel unsafe.
Bad things never happen until they do. I've been to St. Thomas a couple of times and it never rained; that doesn't mean it never rains in USVI.

That's why it is so important for us to have good, data-driven information about what's really going on.

I just posted this in another related thread: I've been searching off and on all day [for details of the increase in murders]. So far almost all the reports I've found point at Cancun. Also:

In a press release, Marisol Venegas Pérez tourism secretary of Quintana Roo, rejected the regional travel warning saying that it was not a restriction, but only a travel recommendation adding, “In Cozumel we have not had any increase in homicides, so it is important for US State Department to rectify the information that includes the island.
https://www.riviera-maya-news.com/cozumel-says-they-should-be-exempt-from-us-travel-warning/2017.html

Bad things never happen until they do. I've been to St. Thomas a couple of times and it never rained; that doesn't mean it never rains in USVI.

That's why it is so important for us to have good, data-driven information about what's really going on.

I just posted this in another related thread: I've been searching off and on all day [for details of the increase in murders]. So far almost all the reports I've found point at Cancun. Also: https://www.riviera-maya-news.com/cozumel-says-they-should-be-exempt-from-us-travel-warning/2017.html

I hope that last part is true. For us it's always been business as usual in Cozumel. Maybe because it's an island we feel safe there but we do understand bad things happen

I hope that last part is true. For us it's always been business as usual in Cozumel. Maybe because it's an island we feel safe there but we do understand bad things happen

I agree with that assessment. I suppose as with travel anywhere, just be vigilant and don't do stupid things like wear flashy jewelry and flash your cash.

I saw this on the news and they stated these crimes are mostly happening at night and back roads. As long as you stick to the touristy areas you will be fine.
Based on a day's worth of off and on research about this, I'm not sure how much we can trust that news report. So far, most of the murders I've learned about happened in Cancun itself, on city streets.

Thanks for the Cozumel update. Has anyone heard of any recent crimes committed against cruise passengers in Cozumel. I tried a web search with no real results.

As in any port, one should be aware of their surroundings

Thanks for the Cozumel update. Has anyone heard of any recent crimes committed against cruise passengers in Cozumel. I tried a web search with no real results.

As in any port, one should be aware of their surroundings

I haven't heard of anything on Cozumel. I did read an article that stated the Mexican was trying to get Cozumel exempt from the warning. Their contention was the problem in Quintana Roo was in Cancun and Playa not Cozumel

I live here going on 12 years and we have NEVER had a tourist murdered here either intentionally or mistakenly. This is totally unfair to the people of Cozumel!

Thank you for sharing that information. I for one have never felt uneasy in all my Cozumel trips.

We've always felt perfectly safe in Cozumel. I would say Grand Cayman and Cozumel are two of the safest Western Caribbean stops. It isn't Disney World but it is safe... Cruise ship passengers represent too much of their economy to allow anything to happen to you. RCC and Carnival don't even drop you in town.. you're 3 miles away