Maine to NYC for the Breakaway

arsa

I need some advice - We have our cruise booked on the Breakaway, leaving 11/26 from NYC. We are a family of 2 adults and 1 8 yr old. I really don't want us to drive down to NYC or even to the Ridgefield Hotel this time. We did that last cruise and it was a great experience, but it was during summer. I am not sure I want us to drive down end of November, given some interesting early winter storms we have had in Maine in the years past.

Our original plan was to take the Concord bus non-stop to NYC the day before (11/25) and stay in the Hilton across the street from the bus stop near United Nation. The day of the cruise, we were going to take a cab to the cruise terminal. The only reason we chose the hotel is because it's across from the Concord bus terminal. So my first question is, any thoughts on the Hilton Grand Central? Is it a good location to walk around after dark and look at the city all lit up post-thanksgiving?

Should we think about any other hotels? Stay closer to the Cruise terminal instead - like Ink48,etc?

Or should I get over my hesitation of driving from Maine, around the end of November and stay closer to CT or even Yonkers? Is it better to drive to somewhere in CT the day before ( I read postings around driving to Stamford) and take the train down to NYC the morning of the cruise?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!

I think your travel plan is fine. The hotel location is OK; I'd probably seriously look at something closer to 50th on Lexington, such as the Doubletree if you're thinking Hilton properties. Second Avenue has a lot of neighborhood restaurants; I'm just more familiar with the area from probably 48th north. From Lexington and 50th, you're only three blocks east of Rockefeller Plaza and Saks. The 26th will almost certainly be too early for the Christmas tree to be lit, but the Saks windows will probably be decorated, and you can easily head up Fifth Avenue for Tiffany, Bergdorf & Goodman, etc. It's just further from the Hilton, and there's some spotty blocks (can't remember exactly which ones) south of Grand Central that aren't dangerous on their own, but may feel a little uncomfortable (fewer people, may be some closed store fronts, so a little darker, etc.). It would mean a cab ride from the bus terminal.

If you want to go to Macy's instead, there are some hotels near Penn Station. That's going to be a cab ride as well. I posted recently on the new(ish) Renaissance on 35th, and folks fairly routinely stay at the La Quinta that's nearby. Not as much of a neighborhood as Midtown East (Lexington to Second Avenue area).

Being closer to the cruise terminal isn't necessarily going to be better, especially if you want to see some things.

I think your travel plan is fine. The hotel location is OK; I'd probably seriously look at something closer to 50th on Lexington, such as the Doubletree if you're thinking Hilton properties. Second Avenue has a lot of neighborhood restaurants; I'm just more familiar with the area from probably 48th north. From Lexington and 50th, you're only three blocks east of Rockefeller Plaza and Saks. The 26th will almost certainly be too early for the Christmas tree to be lit, but the Saks windows will probably.....

Thank you so much!!!! I really appreciate the suggestions. Taking a cab is fine - I was thinking merely convenience with the Hilton across from the bus terminal, but I will definitely check out the hotels closer to 50th on Lexington or even near Penn Station and Macy's. With NYC, you are never sure of which areas or patches might not be comfortable to walk with a 8 yr old, so I really appreciate the ideas you gave.

Thank you so much!!!! I really appreciate the suggestions. Taking a cab is fine - I was thinking merely convenience with the Hilton across from the bus terminal, but I will definitely check out the hotels closer to 50th on Lexington or even near Penn Station and Macy's. With NYC, you are never sure of which areas or patches might not be comfortable to walk with a 8 yr old, so I really appreciate the ideas you gave.

Lexington to Second Avenue is more of a neighborhood for walking around than 35th/Penn Station, but that area is close to Macy's, which can be pretty magical from Thanksgiving to Christmas. As with most things in Manhattan, it's a trade-off. It will be a shorter cab ride to the cruise terminal from the Penn Station area.

And someone who's more familiar with the lower 40's near Grand Central may well tell you the area around the Hilton is fine, but if you want to see decorations, they're going to be closer to Fifth Avenue and more in the 50's.

Lexington to Second Avenue is more of a neighborhood for walking around than 35th/Penn Station, but that area is close to Macy's, which can be pretty magical from Thanksgiving to Christmas. As with most things in Manhattan, it's a trade-off. It will be a shorter cab ride to the cruise terminal from the Penn Station area.

And someone who's more familiar with the lower 40's near Grand Central may well tell you the area around the Hilton is fine, but if you want to see decorations, they're going to be closer to Fifth Avenue and more in the 50's.

We definitely want to see the decorations. I was hoping for the Rockefeller tree to be up by then as well but it's probably too early for that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

We definitely want to see the decorations. I was hoping for the Rockefeller tree to be up by then as well but it's probably too early for that.

How about the Radio City Christmas spectacular? It will be performing then. Can't get any more Christmas than than that. The tree won't be up but the insides of the major Department stores will be decorated. Saks Fifth Avenue, Lord & Taylor, Macy's all have nice decorations. If you're interested in Radio City, there promotions with discount tickets usually available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The tree lighting this year is Nov. 29 -- but a lot of Fifth Avenue will bi lit up - Thanksgiving is 11/23 - pretty early this year - so a lot of the stores will be decorated. Grand Central is just a couple of blocks away from Fifth Ave. - and that general area is fine for walking about in the evening. Anything close to the cruise terminal (which would only save a couple of dollars cab fare) would not be in a walk-around neighborhood.

Personally, since I come from CT, I take MetroNorth train from Stamford the morning of a cruise - but in your case, the city would be more interesting than a stay at Stamford Marriott - or comparable.

I can't suggest about staying in NYC for the night, but I can tell you about taking Metro-North from CT to GCS(Grand Central Station). We have taken the train to NYC for our cruises($30 - RT each), we leave from Milford. I would suggest going to New Haven as they have overnight parking, the other stations are open parking and require a parking pass. Once arrived at GCS we go out the 42nd Street doors and go LEFT to the HYATT Hotel - we use their restrooms and ask the Bellman to call us a Taxi. This works out well as it is before the Taxi Stand on the corner. It is about a $20 ride to the cruise port. Good luck with your decision and enjoy your cruise!!!

I checked the Renaissance that was mentioned earlier and it's showing $798 for the three of us for Saturday night!!! Holy Smokes! I am looking at the Hilton or Marriott properties around Penn Station and that's bit more affordable.. although affordability in Manhattan is all a matter of perspective! But I really do like the idea of staying somewhere more central than what we have currently - walking to Saks (maybe even inside Tiffany's..hmm...), looking at the stores starting to get into their holiday spirit! I will check out the timing on Radio City Christmas Spectacular as well - that sounds like a fun thing to take our kid to. He really likes to get into the holiday spirit :-)

I checked the Renaissance that was mentioned earlier and it's showing $798 for the three of us for Saturday night!!! Holy Smokes! I am looking at the Hilton or Marriott properties around Penn Station and that's bit more affordable.. although affordability in Manhattan is all a matter of perspective! But I really do like the idea of staying somewhere more central than what we have currently - walking to Saks (maybe even inside Tiffany's..hmm...), looking at the stores starting to get into their holiday spirit! I will check out the timing on Radio City Christmas Spectacular as well - that sounds like a fun thing to take our kid to. He really likes to get into the holiday spirit :-)

They're killing you on the third person! My wife and I don't have kids, so I never select more than 2 for a room! For only 2, the Renaissance is available for $269 at the AAA rate. That's also the Saturday after Thanksgiving, and there may well be events at Madison Square Garden.

The Courtyard is a nice hotel and good location, as are the other two hotels Carol listed.

Hi arsa,

We are on the same cruise, just booked it. We are from Western Massachusetts. I am looking at taking the Peter Pan bus down from Springfield the day before just because of the weather. I have started looking at hotels.com, booking.com and groupon for cheaper hotel prices. Hope to see you on the ship. .

You don't say where in Maine you are coming from, but, what about the Downeaster amtrak train? I know you'd have to switch in Boston somwhere but still could be better than driving. Plus you'd end up at Penn Station instead of over by the UN. Just another option to look at.

You don't say where in Maine you are coming from, but, what about the Downeaster amtrak train? I know you'd have to switch in Boston somwhere but still could be better than driving. Plus you'd end up at Penn Station instead of over by the UN. Just another option to look at.

We are coming from Portland, Maine so the Amtrak/Downeaster and the Concord bus both depart from the same location. The Concord is non-stop to NYC whereas the train will mean switching over from the north station to south station in Boston.

Hi arsa,

We are on the same cruise, just booked it. We are from Western Massachusetts. I am looking at taking the Peter Pan bus down from Springfield the day before just because of the weather. I have started looking at hotels.com, booking.com and groupon for cheaper hotel prices. Hope to see you on the ship. .

I was looking at Peter Pan bus too.. or that Mega Bus option from Boston South Station but that would mean a bus into Boston and then switching over to either Peter Pan or the Mega Bus.I do need to do some research on whether it works out a lot cheaper than the non-stop concord bus from Portland to NYC but for a few dollars, we will probably stick to the Concord. Groupon is a great idea! I never even thought to check there for NYC..

arsa, Have you tried calling NCL to see if they have any pre-cruise offers. They are not always listed on the site. Also here is a link to info about cheaper parking http://www.manhattancruiseparking.com/

Another option is to find a hotel in NJ that lets you park for the cruise and take a car service or ferry over to the ship. Or you can drive over and park. Just remember it is the Thanksgiving weekend...lots of travelers and lots of traffic. Ferry schedules and bus schedules may be impacted also.

So many options with this cruise it will be tough for us to decide but I am leaning towards going down Saturday and staying in NY or NJ because the weather has been so strange this year. Now to decide to go cheap on the hotel or make the hotel the destination and check in early and start vacation early. Like you price is a big factor.

arsa, Have you tried calling NCL to see if they have any pre-cruise offers. They are not always listed on the site. Also here is a link to info about cheaper parking http://www.manhattancruiseparking.com/

Another option is to find a hotel in NJ that lets you park for the cruise and take a car service or ferry over to the ship. Or you can drive over and park. Just remember it is the Thanksgiving weekend...lots of travelers and lots of traffic. Ferry schedules and bus schedules may be impacted also.

So many options with this cruise it will be tough for us to decide but I am leaning towards going down Saturday and staying in NY or NJ because the weather has been so strange this year. Now to decide to go cheap on the hotel or make the hotel the destination and check in early and start vacation early. Like you price is a big factor.

I will call NCL to see if they have any pre-cruise offers. I am not in favor of driving down towards the end of November, because as you said the weather has been really strange this year. It already feels like fall up in Maine and it's not even September yet. We drove down to NJ, stayed at the Ridgefield inn last time and took advantage of their park and cruise offer. It worked out great for a mid-September cruise. The fact that it is the thanksgiving weekend worries me a little with the traffic heading out of Maine too - all around better if one of us isn't driving! We are definitely going to head into NYC Saturday morning and make it a mini-vacation before our actual vacation begins :-)

I'm coming in late to this, but we did Maine to NYC (Penn Station) for our Breakaway cruise last year, and Amtrak is our preferred way to go. We find it much more comfortable than the bus, and we've done both Concord to Boston South Station and the Downeaster to taxi to Boston South Station. Both were fine. Penn Station put us nearer to where we wanted to be. We stayed off Times Square at the Holiday Inn Express Midtown West and walked to the pier when it was cruise day. Not a bad walk and I use a rollator!

On the way home, we used the redcap service at Penn and that was lovely, getting us easily to our seats. We're sailing the Anthem in March and doing Amtrak to NJ for that too.

I'm coming in late to this, but we did Maine to NYC (Penn Station) for our Breakaway cruise last year, and Amtrak is our preferred way to go. We find it much more comfortable than the bus, and we've done both Concord to Boston South Station and the Downeaster to taxi to Boston South Station. Both were fine. Penn Station put us nearer to where we wanted to be. We stayed off Times Square at the Holiday Inn Express Midtown West and walked to the pier when it was cruise day. Not a bad walk and I use a rollator!

On the way home, we used the redcap service at Penn and that was lovely, getting us easily to our seats. We're sailing the Anthem in March and doing Amtrak to NJ for that too.

HI,

curious on how you will get from the train station in NJ to the ship. When we sailed both the Anthem and the Summit I did some research on it and found it to be a hassle. There is no bus stop near the terminal. I think cab fare was high....can't remember. Have not done any research since and we leave on the Summit in October so interested in your take on the train station to ship.

Thanks