Galveston weather concerns

Any comments from Galveston area/Interstate 45 area residents on the present availability of gas, food, other accommodations? I'm on Liberty of the Seas now and returning to Dallas I'm aware of the Houston road condition website. Can't remember how much gas I have in the tank

If you get off in the morning check to make sure the roads are even open all the way through the Houston area. The flooding is starting to increase on the main roads here. As of now (11:54PM Saturday) There are over 110 high water closings including portions of I-10, beltway 8, I-45, I-69/59, and plenty more. May change by morning for the better or for the worse but check before you leave.

https://traffic.houstontranstar.org/roadclosures/#highwater

For those coming off the ship and flying out of HOU they are having major flooding at the airport, they have closed the arrival pick-up lanes this evening and it continues to rain. Prayers for all, when Allison happened we had just flown home to be told on the airplane that the good news was that they were allowing us to land @ IAH, the bad news is there is no way out of the airport. Hopefully you all have better luck if you come off the ship tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The West Coast of the USA has viable cruising weather just about all year long yet there's not a single ship there (except a few Explorer coastals) - why is that?:confused:

They need ships in the Caribbean in case someone accuses them of moving the ships out of the Caribbean because of the weather. That made the West Coast the ideal place to take the ships from .

If you can sea the live radar right now. Honestly now would be the window the Liberty could dock, too bad they're still ways away. Plus port is closed anyways. The radar future on KPRC shows more rains coming to Galveston tonight. Right now was the break period.

But the Liberty OTS is not due until Sunday. I would be unrealistic to expect the Liberty OTS to sneak in on Saturday. Many guests will not be there until Sunday also (if they can make it). Besides, wouldn't the two Carnival ships that are supposed to be their have priority.

Of course all this is mute. As you noted, the port is closed. Do you think the starboard might be open?

The West Coast has such stringent EPA regulations regarding ships so it is not worth while to sail from there.

That is not the problem. The limited itineraries are the problem. The choices are:

1) PV, Mazatlan, Cabo

2) Cabo, Mazatlan, PV

3) Mazatlan, PV, Cabo

4) Cabo, PV, Mazatlan

5) PV, Cabo, Ensenada

6) Ensenada, Cabo, PV

7) Cabo, PV, Ensenada

8) Ensenada, Cabo, PV

Are you starting to see the pattern here?

Limited itineraries that pass the distant port rule. It got more difficult after several ports in Mexico experienced high upticks in violent crime and ships cancelled port calls there. While some cruise to enjoy the ship, others use it as a floating hotel to experience the ports. Many people don't care to take cruises that visit their own backyard.

I agree with your post. However, I did take a California coastal cruise and really enjoyed it. And yes, prior to that cruise I had visited all four port via a horseless carriage.

Yes- they (finally) told their cruisers to stay away from the port. Today. But they STILL haven't told them what they plan to do if the cruiser doesn't have enough time to make it to the port by the time LOTS is ready to sail!!! That is unfair!

I agree.

But the Liberty OTS is not due until Sunday. I would be unrealistic to expect the Liberty OTS to sneak in on Saturday. Many guests will not be there until Sunday also (if they can make it). Besides, wouldn't the two Carnival ships that are supposed to be their have priority.

Of course all this is mute. As you noted, the port is closed. Do you think the starboard might be open?

Umm, it's already Sunday here:)

This is like a sailing which gets chartered - don't cancel until the cruisline announces it (even if it's a know thing for several weeks here) and provides compensation.

I was stuck in that situation. The evidence was that the cruise would be chartered. However, it had not been yet. Fortunately I had a refundable deposit, so I was able to move my cruise to another date without out penalty.

The weakest leadership at the state and local levels were Democrats, Kathleen Blanco, and Ray Nagin, Governor of LA and Mayor of Louisiana respectively.

In all honesty, and I mean, ALL honesty, Katrina was a bi-partisan screw up, and I know, because politics is my profession and I have been in the middle of campaigns, policy, and spin for a long, long time.

We have been told not to discuss politics but the "GOP" included our Governor, Rick Perry, who rescued, against the wishes of many in his own party, THOUSANDS of LA flood victims and many have since relocated here permanently.

The "Dems" also include Al Gore, the former Vice-President who flew into NOLA to rescue hospital patients-and you probably don't know that.

This is an American issue, to be solved by Americans, of all stripes, of all persuasions, of all backgrounds.

THIS is why we don't discuss politics here. Because it always seems to elevate party over people.

Are you referring to something that happened over ten years ago?

Thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by this.

Is this a very early start to hurricane season for the US (and/or Caribbean)?

No. The hurricane season runs from June 1, to November 30. We are currently in the middle of hurricane season.

You literally started your last post berating someone for not having read the whole thread.

I didn't "berate" anyone. I said I see you have not read the entire thread and then provided a summary of the thread.

I have read the entire thread.

I have also read the twitter post from the RCCL meteorologist.

I'll summarize what he wrote -

1. Attempt to dock tomorrow, weather permitting. They think it will happen.

2. Leave on Monday around the same time as was expected on Sunday

- This gives the out of town folks time to get to Galveston

- 25% off future cruise credit

- 1 day credit for this cruise.

- Option exists to cancel this cruise for 100% credit on future cruise, if you are impacted by or unable to cruise due to Hurricane Harvey.

If that set of tweets was to be believed -

Yes, there is 1-2" of rain forecasted. That isn't really a lot, depending on where you are.

What are the swords for?

The Royal Caribbean cheerleaders defending their position against those that would disagree with them.

Umm, it's already Sunday here:)

The biggest issues I have with the time difference:

1) When I get to work, the people on the east coast are having lunch.

2) When I get back from lunch, the people on the east coast are leaving for home.

3) When I am on the east coast, all I get is partial sports scores.

Southwest is showing seats in all classes available on the CLT-HOU flight at 6:00am tomorrow and it's non-stop.

American has one at 9:39am to IAH non-stop.

Southwest has more than one class of seat???

The radar returns out of Houston to near Galveston is sick right now. Up to 25 inches of rain in some spots according to Doppler radar. I can understand Royal Caribbean going back to Galveston and waiting outside port if need be, but the communication today is not up to par- not even close. Friday's communication was o.k., but could have been better by explaining the various scenarios.

The problem is how late the decision from Royal Caribbean was made. I have cruised out of Galveston twice, and both times I have arrived the day before. In other words, I was already in the air by the time the announcement was made (if I had planned to cruise this Sunday). What should I do, ask the captain of the airplane to turn around?

No, but you could stay by the airport instead of on the island.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lol a quick look at Cruisefan0001's profile, you can tell he/she is a huge RCL loyalist who probably won't even consider sailing with other lines. Thus the need to defend RCL so much. I've seen plenty of these kind of brand loyalists everywhere. Playstation vs Xbox, Honda vs Toyota, etc. You pretty much cannot say anything negative about their favorite brand, it's almost like saying something bad about their mother or child.

Some people have no clue what they are talking about when they post. Here's just one example above. Apparently some folks only read the word "critic" in the name Cruise Critic and live by that code alone. Then the personal attacks follow.

It seems that in this day and age...if one doesn't agree with someone...or more importantly if they don't live lives in blind negativity...name-calling and/or labels soon appear. This is of course a clear sign of someone seeking to start an argument, defend a weak or inaccurate position, or simply argue for the sake of arguing. All three are wrong, period.

As for this totally misleading statement highlighted above, my same points would apply to any cruise line. It just happens in this case it's Royal Caribbean.

All cruise lines make mistakes, have issues, and can improve their service. Royal Caribbean is not exempt. The difference in posting methodology used is that some of us choose not to whine and complain at every turn, follow a mob mentality for criticism, melt down like a snowflake when everything doesn't turn out perfectly, or require publicly venting behind the hidden shield of an internet post. It's just noise, but happily embraced by a few.

What is most important is that passenger safety is job #1 for the cruise industry, followed by comfort and enjoyment (in that order). Anyone criticising any cruise line who follows that mindset is misguided to the "nth degree". There are still thousands of "inconvenienced" passengers still at sea behind this storm. In this case, with a world-class hurricane affecting the port of Galveston, weather conditions being highly unpredictable, and the Port Authority itself being careful & fluid in making & announcing their decisions for docking...any cruise line would be challenged to sustain the safety first. Yet that all that doesn't stop a few from second-guessing every move, every decision, every minute.

If that results in "inconveniences" for some inbound passengers on a subsequent cruise, it's certainly very unfortunate indeed - but still a distant second to current passenger safety. The irony is that a handful of all-knowing judges have already pronounced their verdict on how this is being handled despite the episode, decisions, and compensations still very much being in flight (pun intended). History has shown that things can still evolve to how passengers are compensated once this weather-based tragedy has concluded - the story is far from over.

It's a shame (but not surprising) some people just don't get it, and never will. So be it.

In the mean time, our hopes and prayers go out to the current Liberty of the Seas and other ship passengers affected by this historical event.

You mean like when you said yesterday that Delta Airlines lost 13 Billion dollars due to a storm?

WOW - just WOW! Now people are just making things up.

YOU posted that specific amount...I just said that lost a lot of money from the storm...which was reported in numbers both locally and nationally by virtually every major news outlet.

YOUR post:

Delta Airlines take in $13,213,000,000 in revenue in 4 months....that's 13.2 Billion Dollars! And you think one storm in Atlanta cost them that much money? And you think cruise ships go to Alaska and Europe in the summer to avoid Hurricane Season? And yet you ask me if I am serious? LOL!!!

My post:

LOL....we know you can't possibly be serious. :rolleyes:

The cost of any hurricane that impacts any Caribbean port could wipe out their revenue for months (obviously Florida ports would be a worse case scenario)...so yes...they do move them primarily for reducing risk and potential lost revenue. It doesn't take more than one major storm to disrupt things - one bad storm in Atlanta last year cost Delta 4 months of revenue...the cruise industry has a similar situation.

As reported in news outlets...it was NET revenue, not gross revenue...and only you posted a specific (erroneous) number. No need to argue further.

200_s.gif

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...already in progress...