10-drink card in the Mediterranean

Near the end of the cruise, a drink card is offered that's good for 10 drinks at whatever price depending on the length of the cruise.

Does the advertised price, say $79... include the 18% tip or is it $79 + 18%?

I read that for RT EU countries in the Med, another 10% VAT is charged. :o

$79 + 18% + 10% + Cdn exchange is getting up there!

$79 + 18% + 10% + Cdn exchange is getting up there!

This can really only be compared to buying individual drinks so the only comparison should be: are you going to buy 10 drinks whose basic cost is more than $7.90 each? All the rest of the charges would be the same on those individual drinks.

I asked RCI about drinks and VAT, and they said there will be a VAT charge on drinks and packages in addition to the gratuity purchased on board...but you can keep your receipts and get it refunded on the way back home through customs at your airport.

On every cruise I have seen the 10 drinks package on, there was 18% added onto the advertised price, so I would anticipate a 18%+VAT price tacked on. I will be on the freedom on the 3rd and can report back, but I bought the beverage package through my cruise planner because I didn't want to pay VAT and go through the hassle of getting a refund at customs

I asked RCI about drinks and VAT, and they said there will be a VAT charge on drinks and packages in addition to the gratuity purchased on board...but you can keep your receipts and get it refunded on the way back home through customs at your airport.

On every cruise I have seen the 10 drinks package on, there was 18% added onto the advertised price, so I would anticipate a 18%+VAT price tacked on. I will be on the freedom on the 3rd and can report back, but I bought the beverage package through my cruise planner because I didn't want to pay VAT and go through the hassle of getting a refund at customs

Right on, thank you. We don't drink enough to buy a beverage package and have two sea days at the end of our cruise. By then, our allowed wine will be gone. :) Would love to buy a 10-drink card before leaving home but they're only available onboard. I did buy a coffee card for my DH online that avoided paying the VAT. The VAT is actually higher than 10% in Spain. My research indicated that you're only charged 10% because you're purchasing a consumable.

For the refund, I think there may be a $20 minimum purchase, depending on the country. You also need time to submit the form at the airport and we have an early return flight so not sure if that works for us.

This can really only be compared to buying individual drinks so the only comparison should be: are you going to buy 10 drinks whose basic cost is more than $7.90 each? All the rest of the charges would be the same on those individual drinks.

Thanks for your reply, point well taken.