Almost Newbie needs feedback please

Punam

We're looking at Celebrity Reflection - Rome, Sicily, Malta, Mykonos, Rhodes, Santorini, Athens, Naples, and back to Rome. On one hand I'd prefer the temperature in mid Sept, but on the other I'm reading that the sea can get really choppy at that time of year. Now, I appreciate that nobody has a crystal ball and the seas can surprise, but what do you seasoned cruisers think? Given that the only cruise I've been on was to Alaska, so super clam waters, I'm a bit nervous about paying for a suite for 10 days and finding out Sept's risky and I feel sick for days. Also, we were midship on the last cruise. Is it true that the aft can feel rougher and that the higher floors are also rougher feeling than being smack dab in the middle?

Won't comment on the weather as I just feel it is so variable as to be meaningless. However, there is a difference in the movement of a ship along the center point. You will feel more movement in both the aft and bow versus midships. You also may feel more on higher decks although that impact is likely less than the aft to midships effect. Personally it never bothers us, but many cruisers swear by their location on the ship.

You cannot predict what the seas will do. "Season" has nothing to do with it. If Mother Nature has a mind to, she can do anything at anytime, as far as ocean conditions go. If it's really rough, you will feel it everywhere. If it's calm, you barely feel anything anywhere.

If you're concerned about motion sickness, suggest you consult your physician for medications appropriate to your medical history. Others bring Meclizine like Bonine, and take it a day or 2 before the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The best place to avoid seasickness is in the middle of the ship as far down as you can go, lowest possible deck. This is where you'll feel the less movement of the ship.

Think of a metronome. The tops flys back and forth, the bottom hardly moves.

As others have said no one can guarantee the weather even specific to this itinerary.

We have done a similar itinerary a few times.

What I can say is I highly recommend September or May because the weather is far less hot/humid then in the summer months and there are less tourists.

I too would book a room mid ship and on a lower deck and just come prepared with medicine to keep you from getting sea sick.

It's a great itinerary and we love the Med.

Keith

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We did Sept and loved that time of the year for those ports.

We have always had a suite high up -- sometimes midship -- sometimes near the bow. We are fortunate that we have never gotten sea sick.

But if you think you will get sick, then maybe you should consider a lower deck.

We've done many Med cruises in September and have never had rough seas. We tend to choose aft or midship as the only times I've been seasick was in a forward cabin in the Caribbean, and a forward cabin sailing from Mexico to Hawaii.

We've done both September & October MED cruises (wonderful ports) and, no rough seas. April TA On smaller Azamara ship was AWFUL - but my Meclazine 25 mg each night starting 2 nights before cruse, continue throughout cruise and two night after, saved the trip. MED cruises were celebrity, solstice class ships. (Go to Costco pharmacy window & request Meclazine - 100 tab bottle around $10 - exact same as Bonine and 'less drowsy Dramamine' for a fraction of the price! Then, go online & find Hylands Motion Sickness tabs. Homeopathic little miracles, keep on hand for 'extra boost' if needed for rough tender, amalfi coast ride, etc..... I travel with both & am counting 30+ cruises & 100% success rate for preventing motion sickness! (Turning green is absolutely no fun at all & I would have stopped after my first cruise had I not discovered theses life-savers!)

Sent from my iPad using Forums