Out of San Francisco (Newbie)

happyowl

Hi. We are thinking of doing our first cruise to Alaska out of San Francisco? Any recommendations of what cruise line to take? Right now we are looking at the Grand Princess. (I have 2 sons ages 14 & 17.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe that other then one Oceania sailing that your only option is the Grand Princess.

The itinerary is quite nice.

We sailed this ship many years ago when our children were around the ages of your children and it provided enough activities for them while we were at sea.

I think this is your best option.

San Francisco is a great place to sail out of.

Not sure where you live but in not in the Bay Area I would recommend spending a couple of days there before the cruise. Lots to do and see.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Keith

As others have said, I think Grand Princess is the only ship that does RT Alaska from SF. There are several people on the board (me included) who have done this itinerary recently. If you have any other questions about it, feel free to ask.

As others have said, I think Grand Princess is the only ship that does RT Alaska from SF. There are several people on the board (me included) who have done this itinerary recently. If you have any other questions about it, feel free to ask.

Thanks so much. Did you like the cruise? Any recommendations?

We can drive to SF easily so I was thinking we would not have to fly (I do not like flying. Lol)

But I am open to other options. That just seemed easier too.

Keith has it right, as usual. Other than a couple of unique repositioning cruises, Princess is the only one that regularly has a route out of San Francisco.

It doesn't seem as nice as a ship as some of the others? But I'm thinking since we have nothing to compare it too it will be ok. ;)

It doesn't seem as nice as a ship as some of the others? But I'm thinking since we have nothing to compare it too it will be ok. ;)

Well it's been around for awhile. We've sailed it three times. First time within a year of its debut.

At the time the tallest cruise ship but quickly lost that distinction when RCI brought out a new ship.

The ship will provide good amenities for the family including the children. I would take this in your situation over say Oceania which I think only had one sailing.

In the end Alaska is what will make the trip special and you have a good itinerary.

Keith

Well it's been around for awhile. We've sailed it three times. First time within a year of its debut.

At the time the tallest cruise ship but quickly lost that distinction when RCI brought out a new ship.

The ship will provide good amenities for the family including the children. I would take this in your situation over say Oceania which I think only had one sailing.

In the end Alaska is what will make the trip special and you have a good itinerary.

Keith

Thanks so much! I was surprised to learn there was a ship out of SF.

We could go to LA I think that is the Emerald?

Thanks so much! I was surprised to learn there was a ship out of SF.

We could go to LA I think that is the Emerald?

I looked it up and they only have one Alaska Voyage and that is September of 2018 on one of the other Princess Ships.

You'll find the Emerald has one directional cruises.

If it was me I would do R/T San Francisco. :)

Keith

Thanks so much. Did you like the cruise? Any recommendations?

We can drive to SF easily so I was thinking we would not have to fly (I do not like flying. Lol)

But I am open to other options. That just seemed easier too.

Did I like the cruise? Absolutely! Mind you, we hit the weather lottery and did not get rained on in any of the ports. You can't expect that with Alaska.

I'm not sure even where to start with recommendations. We really enjoyed the excursions we took, but your best choices will depend on what you and your family like to do. Lots of information on options in the Alaska board.

I will say, I agree with the (far from unanimous) consensus that it's worth taking one of the trips that includes Glacier Bay. It's a much longer time than other glacier viewing (e.g., Tracy Arm) and you get park rangers.

I also live within driving distance of SF, and agree regarding not flying. I do recommend driving early in the day, as the traffic on the Embarcadero can get shockingly bad (like, light turns green and you don't move an inch bad).

Based on my experience, the complaints about Grand are overstated. Granted, no ship is perfect and every sailing is different, but we didn't experience any of the problems that I've seen complained about here. More importantly, I think, a cruise to Alaska is more about the ports than the ship anyway.

Did I like the cruise? Absolutely! Mind you, we hit the weather lottery and did not get rained on in any of the ports. You can't expect that with Alaska.

I'm not sure even where to start with recommendations. We really enjoyed the excursions we took, but your best choices will depend on what you and your family like to do. Lots of information on options in the Alaska board.

I will say, I agree with the (far from unanimous) consensus that it's worth taking one of the trips that includes Glacier Bay. It's a much longer time than other glacier viewing (e.g., Tracy Arm) and you get park rangers.

I also live within driving distance of SF, and agree regarding not flying. I do recommend driving early in the day, as the traffic on the Embarcadero can get shockingly bad (like, light turns green and you don't move an inch bad).

Based on my experience, the complaints about Grand are overstated. Granted, no ship is perfect and every sailing is different, but we didn't experience any of the problems that I've seen complained about here. More importantly, I think, a cruise to Alaska is more about the ports than the ship anyway.

Thanks so much. You have made me feel better about the decision. My kids want Disney of course but the price difference is huge.

Thanks so much. You have made me feel better about the decision. My kids want Disney of course but the price difference is huge.

You're welcome. I can't speak directly to the kids' programs, but there definitely were kids on board who seemed to be entertained. It's probably not comparable to Disney, but as you say, price (plus having to fly).

If you do any significant activities in port (and I recommend doing so), you'll be spending quite a bit, so any savings in cruise fare will tend to show in what you can budget for shore.

We did this..... we were amazed at the kids activities & areas selected for them! More than most ships we've been on! We loved this ship & were comparing to Celebrity & Oceania ships too... it's well maintained & has lots of 'intimate' dining & entertainment areas..... you should have a wonderful time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi guys.

Bob and Chris from the Gold Coast, Australia speaking.

Very interested in doing our first cruise to Alaska. We thought a few days in San Francisco would be nice pre cruise as we haven't been there also. We are torn between a land content in a package with either Denali stay or a stay at some of the Fairmont hotels in the Rockies.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Ps. We still have a cruise credit current with princess so the grand may fit.

Regards bob.

What the others have said....:D

We are taking our 3rd Alaska cruise on Sept 5th. It's the 2nd one from SF, and our first time on the Grand. From what my friends have said, she is a pretty good ship.

Apparently, we will NOT hit the weather lottery, but I expected rain and cooler temps, so we are prepared. I have a lot of bad hair days, but no one cares in Alaska. ;p

Patti