Pike Place Market on a Friday morning

cruzgryphon

I was just wondering how crowded Pike Place Market is on a Friday morning? Aside from the cruise ship I'll be boarding - Explorer of the Seas - I don't think there are any other cruise ships in port if that makes a difference. Also do they still throw the salmon (or whatever type of fish it is)?

TIA

It's always really busy. I don't honestly think the cruise ships affect it because most of the time there are a half a dozen other events going on in Seattle that could change the tourist population. Very early morning is not too bad. As it gets closer to lunch time it gets absolutely packed! But it's worth seeing no matter what the Crowds Are. They do throw the fish. Or sometimes they throw a package of fish that's wrapped up haha. If someone buys something they will throw it. If you hang around the stand long enough you will see it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

It's best to go for breakfast, as early as possible, and try to be gone by 10:30 or so, after which it gets crazy. Most Fridays there will be three ships in port and while the crowds are always thick, they're worse on cruise days.

Yes, the fish flingers do their thing for the tourists. Note they usually use the same fish again and again, as throwing them around damages the fish badly.

Always busy, esp during the summer. Took a visitor there in July and couldn't believe the line for Starbucks, almost around the block. She asked me if the coffee was 'special' for all the people waiting in line~it's the 'original' Starbucks store is all. Just past the fish throwers around the bend and on the right side is a donut kiosk. Little donuts and oh so good (and I don't eat donuts as a rule). Oh, be sure and grab a sample of Ellenos Yogurt, wonderful stuff. It's across from the actual Pike Place, just before the Starbucks.

Have fun!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm boarding the Explorer on Friday September 15th and was thinking about going down to Pike Place Market (staying at the Sheraton so I think it's just a straight walk) around 8:30am.

I've stayed at the sheraton, it was a easy commute. 830 will be nice. Don't waste time at that original starbucks, just take it's picture.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

And it's not really even the original Starbucks. The first was at 2000 Western Ave. from 1971-1976, but since that location is no longer there, the second location is now touted as the "original"

Just some silly trivia.

And it's not really even the original Starbucks. The first was at 2000 Western Ave. from 1971-1976, but since that location is no longer there, the second location is now touted as the "original"

Just some silly trivia.

Great trivia to know - thanks. Takes away some of the allure of having a drink there.

PS Do you like to play trivia on the ship - maybe we can form a team from our roll call.