ReliefBand for Motion Sickness?

I'm sorry but there's an important distinction here. Seabands do not work. The placebo effect works—a little. It doesn't work as much as actual seasickness medication, and many people who claim to see results from Seabands are also missing the fact that seasickness naturally gets better as time goes on and you adjust to being on a ship. The people who make Seabands don't sell them as "placebo bracelets," they make specific claims about acupressure that are completely bogus. They are lying to people and that isn't okay, even if you think that the Seabands make you feel better.

I would never recommend a product that I know to be nothing more than a placebo. If being a placebo is enough for you, go crazy. But I will not recommend this product nor would I deceptively fool someone into thinking that they are more legitimate or effective than what they really are. This is not a lack of understanding, it's a difference in opinion.

... All of the empirical evidence points to Seabands not working, so I cannot recommend them to anyone.

I would never recommend a product that I know to be nothing more than a placebo. If being a placebo is enough for you, go crazy. But I will not recommend this product nor would I deceptively fool someone into thinking that they are more legitimate or effective than what they really are. ...

OK, but no one is asking you to recommend them.

Only asking for advice as to what works.

For some they work, and they say so.

Has anyone used this? Reviews & thoughts?

OP is asking for peoples' opinions on Seabands and I am providing mine. If you feel that strongly that they are a good product, you are free to say so, but I am also free to reiterate my own feelings on them. This is an open forum.

I'm sorry but there's an important distinction here. Seabands do not work. The placebo effect works—a little. It doesn't work as much as actual seasickness medication, and many people who claim to see results from Seabands are also missing the fact that seasickness naturally gets better as time goes on and you adjust to being on a ship.

Uh huh... I'm 38 years old and I'm definitely adjusted to be in the car. And the things work. And believe me I have been greatly affected by motion sickness over my life, which I won't even get into because you clearly don't understand what it's like to be so Afflicted. And I would give anything to be able to convince my brain with anything like a placebo effect that I no longer have it. But that is just not the case. And as the person before me said, no one is asking you to recommend them.

Your point has been made, and I feel like you are going on about it so much that people who could be helped by the Sea bands are not going to try them now and they're going to miss out on a very affordable, non-chemical way to feel better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Here's a thought: You can make your own Seabands with construction paper and masking tape. Works just as well and you save yourself some money, plus you don't give money to a scam corporation. It's a win-win.

Here's a thought: You can make your own Seabands with construction paper and masking tape. Works just as well and you save yourself some money, plus you don't give money to a scam corporation. It's a win-win.

It is past time for you to give it up. You do not like Seabands, we get that! In your 3:59 PM post you acknowledged that placebos work "a little". Well, that little (WHICH YOU ACKNOWLEDGE) appears to be sufficient for a lot of people.

All it takes is a little.

By the way, if you took the time to understand what "placebo" means, you would realize that confidence in its efficacy is significant - so making your own undermines the concept.

Please give it up -you are putting yourself at risk of becoming a Norwegian Knit (or whatever).

Navybankerteacher, it's time for YOU to give up. You will never convince me it's okay to dump your money into a corporation that knowingly deceives people. Are seaband marketed as placebo bracelets? No, they are not, they are marketed as acupressure bracelets that perform a specific function in taking seasickness away. The fact that the placebo effect makes them work a little bit is, frankly, irrelevant, because the point is that I am recommending someone against giving money to a scam company. THE FACT THAT IT IS A SCAM IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM. This is not an issue of me not understanding placebos, it's an issue of me giving someone a heads up that they might be buying into a company that knowingly and deliberately misleads its consumers. You will never convince me it's okay to scam people and you are completely missing the point by only reading what you want to read, so just drop it already.

Navybankerteacher, it's time for YOU to give up. You will never convince me it's okay to dump your money into a corporation that knowingly deceives people. Are seaband marketed as placebo bracelets? No, they are not, they are marketed as acupressure bracelets that perform a specific function in taking seasickness away. The fact that the placebo effect makes them work a little bit is, frankly, irrelevant, because the point is that I am recommending someone against giving money to a scam company. THE FACT THAT IT IS A SCAM IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM. This is not an issue of me not understanding placebos, it's an issue of me giving someone a heads up that they might be buying into a company that knowingly and deliberately misleads its consumers. You will never convince me it's okay to scam people and you are completely missing the point by only reading what you want to read, so just drop it already.

See...again... claiming this is a scam Corporation is the kind of statement that can convince people not to try them. So like I said earlier, people who could be helped by these may miss out. And they're like $7, it's not like people are giving them $200 for a pair of cloth wristbands.

See...again... claiming this is a scam Corporation is the kind of statement that can convince people not to try them.

I mean...good. The corporation should not benefit from scamming people. Companies should not be allowed to stock pharmacy shelves with sugar pills.

Like I said, if you want a "seaband" so badly just make one yourself. If it's all the placebo effect anyway then how could you possibly object to that idea?

You CAN make a band that will work if you position it correctly. A tight fitting band that has a button or bead that will put pressure on the correct area of your wrist will do the same as the Sea Bands.

Two finger widths above the bend of your wrist on the inside, you can feel two tendons. The bead needs to put pressure between the tendons. You can get the same results by pressing that same area with your fingers if you don't have a band.

This infornation is also available on the Internet in case you want to check it.

It works for me, so I ignore those who call it a placebo

If interested, Google accupressure point p6.

If you already KNOW it doesn't work, don't bother..

Edited by swedish weave

I don't understand why we're arguing over a $7 product. If it works, which I hope it will for me in 2 months, use it. If it doesn't work don't buy another one and move on to another discussion. We're talking about buying a $7 item. If you don't like KFC chicken dont go back but don't bash others for liking KFC chicken.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I mean...good. The corporation should not benefit from scamming people. Companies should not be allowed to stock pharmacy shelves with sugar pills.

Like I said, if you want a "seaband" so badly just make one yourself. If it's all the placebo effect anyway then how could you possibly object to that idea?

Stop. Just stop. Your constant yammering of the same points over and over and over have gone past the point of annoying. If you had any medical or research knowledge whatsoever, some people might lend your rants some credence. But those same rants have amply demonstrated that you're simply regurgitating something you picked up on the Internet.

From a scientific standpoint, it is obvious that you have failed to accurately grasp the scope of placebos and their effect.

Again, lay off already.

Stop. Just stop. Your constant yammering of the same points over and over and over have gone past the point of annoying. If you had any medical or research knowledge whatsoever, some people might lend your rants some credence. But those same rants have amply demonstrated that you're simply regurgitating something you picked up on the Internet.

From a scientific standpoint, it is obvious that you have failed to accurately grasp the scope of placebos and their effect.

Again, lay off already.

I'm afraid that he is blindly (and mindlessly) committed to his crusade,

Even though he acknowledges that the placebo effect works - he is unable to make the connection - even though it might just be an attitude adjustment that makes people feel better, he cannot stand the non-scientificness of it.

I do not plan to engage in further discussion with this implacable foe of reason. I wish you luck if you decide to pursue the matter.

I believe the original question was about ReliefBand, not Seabands. They are different products. Whatever.

I think it is beyond condescending to tell people what does and doesn't work for them when you personally have not tried it, and make it worse by implying they don't know when they are being duped.

Everyone has an opinion of what works for them, and most people offer the remedy that works for them as a possible help to others. There is no need for such nastiness.

Please just go away.

I believe the original question was about ReliefBand, not Seabands. They are different products. Whatever.

I think it is beyond condescending to tell people what does and doesn't work for them when you personally have not tried it, and make it worse by implying they don't know when they are being duped.

Everyone has an opinion of what works for them, and most people offer the remedy that works for them as a possible help to others. There is no need for such nastiness.

Please just go away.

Right? I slap nasty know-it-alls!! Not once. Not twice. I slap them precisely 3 times! Stoppit or get slapped (3 times).

I bought the bands for my mom to try and it didn't work. Before the next cruise we did I did some research and found out that ginger root capsules or pills help with motion sickness. They gave them to astronauts when they were training. So about 2 weeks before the cruise she started taking them to make sure she could tolerate them. It really works. She took the recommended dose each day. No side effects.

I have used the ReliefBand and was VERY SURPRISED at how well it works. I don't care if it is hokus pokus or mumbo gumbo. It worked for me and I am usually the first one down and out when the ship starts rocking.

A really nice feature is that you can put it on after the nausea starts and it will stop it in it's tracks. I didn't believe it the first time.

It has been used for pregnant women and morning sickness and for test pilots. It is worth the price tag IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have used the ReliefBand and was VERY SURPRISED at how well it works. I don't care if it is hokus pokus or mumbo gumbo. It worked for me and I am usually the first one down and out when the ship starts rocking.

A really nice feature is that you can put it on after the nausea starts and it will stop it in it's tracks. I didn't believe it the first time.

It has been used for pregnant women and morning sickness and for test pilots. It is worth the price tag IMO.

That is the important thing - they work.

While I might not understand how they work, I am not going to tell people who are enjoying their cruise because they feel better, that they should not feel better - just because I do not understand something. That would be an incredibly selfish exercise in self-importance: my understanding of something is more important than someone else's enjoyment ------ I do not think so!

Great to hear. I looked up a lot of reviews all the way across the internet and 99% of them were positive. Stopping nausea after it starts is a big deal. Sea bands work better when you're wearing them before you could get nauseous so this is awesome. Granted I wear my sea bands all the time.