Extra Berths in an Inside Cabin on Royal

quilter49

Has anyone stayed in an inside cabin, either horizontal or vertical, that accommodated 3 or 4 people? Do the extra berths come down from the ceiling or are they attached to the wall? I have sailed with the extra berth on the wall and it gets in the way. Hope someone can help, Need to book soon!

Has anyone stayed in an inside cabin, either horizontal or vertical, that accommodated 3 or 4 people? Do the extra berths come down from the ceiling or are they attached to the wall? I have sailed with the extra berth on the wall and it gets in the way. Hope someone can help, Need to book soon!

Both styles. Pick carefully.

I probably should call Princess directly and ask. I hope I can get an answer before I book. I tried to look at each cabin and put in for 3 or 4 people. I thought the ones for 4 would come down from the ceiling, but now I'm unsure!

On the Regal (Royal's sister ship) the berths in the side-ways interior cabins are on the wall :eek: Don't know about other cabins. We almost had one of the 3-4 people cabins on our first Regal cruise but found out in time to change cabins. However, we lost the side-ways cabin as all the 2 person ones were taken :loudcry:.

<<<Karen>>>

On the Regal (Royal's sister ship) the berths in the side-ways interior cabins are on the wall :eek: Don't know about other cabins. We almost had one of the 3-4 people cabins on our first Regal cruise but found out in time to change cabins. However, we lost the side-ways cabin as all the 2 person ones were taken :loudcry:.

<<<Karen>>>

There are other sideways cabins that only accomodate 2, so not problem with the upper berths.

The upper berths on the walls in the sideways cabins are very, very intrusive.

I booked R522 on Regal (3 people) and it looks like it runs parallel with the ship length. What kind of upper beds do you think we'll have?

Last time we stayed on Regal and Caribbean Princess we had a "sideways" cabin, with the upper beds unfolding from the wall. I didn't know they could be different.

ETA: I found a description of the R522 room that says "The beds were More comfortable for sleeping (the kids enjoyed their beds that folded down from the ceiling) ".

Do the kids still get a ladder to climb up? Our 6 yo loves the upper bed on cruises, but only got to experience the ones that fold out from the wall.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

I probably should call Princess directly and ask. I hope I can get an answer before I book. I tried to look at each cabin and put in for 3 or 4 people. I thought the ones for 4 would come down from the ceiling, but now I'm unsure!
As far as I know, the 3/4 beds in an inside cabin are mounted on the walls, not in the ceilings. Princess has been doing that for years in their ship design. Based on what R522 looks like on the Regal, they still are.

See prior post for the Regal link.

You will have the beds that fold out from the walls. Here is a video I found of R522 on the Regal.

wow, you are amazing! Thank you!

By the way, I totally hate the room. I just made my final payment, but I am going to see if I can call and change rooms....

wow, you are amazing! Thank you!

By the way, I totally hate the room. I just made my final payment, but I am going to see if I can call and change rooms....

You might also check "Obstructed Balcony", which are sometimes not much more than inside.

You might also check "Obstructed Balcony", which are sometimes not much more than inside.

this category is currently $200 more per person.

Called Princess, they will not switch me to the last remaining inside cabin unless I pay $100 more per adult and $200 for the kiddo.

I will check with them later after the final payments are due.

P.S. Princess didn't give me a choice on the lower bed config, but I see that it can be a queen bed. I think if I ask the cabin steward for a queen bed config, it will work better for our luggage since we'll have a car seat in addition to the suitcases.

P.S. Princess didn't give me a choice on the lower bed config, but I see that it can be a queen bed. I think if I ask the cabin steward for a queen bed config, it will work better for our luggage since we'll have a car seat in addition to the suitcases.

Princess insists that if you are using the upper berth(s) that the lowers be configured as twins

(to allow access to the uppers)

Stewards are responsive to passengers, and will configure the beds as you wish.

Princess insists that if you are using the upper berth(s) that the lowers be configured as twins

(to allow access to the uppers)

Stewards are responsive to passengers, and will configure the beds as you wish.

I will try when we board. :) We don't need our kid's bed made up every day, so the steward won't need access to it. Most nights we put a "do not disturb" sign on anyway.

There was another room I selected while "pretend booking" today for 3 people, and it allowed me to choose twin or queen. That was weird. Another weird thing is that Princess let me choose that room for 3 people, but another site with detailed cabin descriptions showed it as a double occupancy only cabin.

As far as I know, the 3/4 beds in an inside cabin are mounted on the walls, not in the ceilings. Princess has been doing that for years in their ship design. Based on what R522 looks like on the Regal, they still are.

See prior post for the Regal link.

Yes, correct. It doesn't matter whether the Inside/Interior cabin is "normal" or "sideways", the upper berths are wall-mounted. We like the sideways orientation after trying it on Regal. Also, the upper berths are going to be "in the way" if you don't need them in either configuration. (That Regal sideways we got had the uppers and it was a minor PITA. We did some adjustments to stop a rattle or two. It happened because we had booked a GTY and got assigned a higher category, but of course at that point, we were left with a room to hold 4 people... one of the risk factors when doing a GTY).

Upper berths are in the ceiling in balcony cabins.

Using both uppers and trying to have a queen bed must be awkward at best. Someone above posted booking 3. Well if you only need one upper then queen bed can be configured so as to be out of the way.

• 2 weeks later...
great news! Just got an email from Princess - we got a free upgrade to a deluxe obstructed balcony!!!!!

forgot to ask - it appears that it's a cabin for only 3 people, and that the 3rd person will get the sofa bed, and not a bunk bed. Correct?

A balcony room does not come with a sofa bed (only mini's). No bathtub either. It is about the same size as an interior but with a balcony.

Congratulations on a nice upgrade.

A balcony room does not come with a sofa bed (only mini's). No bathtub either. It is about the same size as an interior but with a balcony.

thank you!

Our kid loves bunk beds, so he'll be happy to know that he still gets one. He was very excited about having a balcony, so when I hinted that there may not be a bunk bed, he said it was ok. So easy going. :)

great news! Just got an email from Princess - we got a free upgrade to a deluxe obstructed balcony!!!!!

forgot to ask - it appears that it's a cabin for only 3 people, and that the 3rd person will get the sofa bed, and not a bunk bed. Correct?

What category is your cabin? If it begins with a "D" you'll have a loveseat couch that may convert into a small bed; if it begins with a "B" there is no couch but as you can see in this other post there's an upper bunk that recesses into the ceiling when not in use.

Here is a picture of a standard balcony with the bunk bed recessed (the rectangular outline in the ceiling near the curtains). You can see how that, when the bed is lowered, it would block access to the balcony...

Stateroom C502

11269973666_875857b703_c.jpg

Edited by Astro Flyer

thank you!

Our kid loves bunk beds, so he'll be happy to know that he still gets one. He was very excited about having a balcony, so when I hinted that there may not be a bunk bed, he said it was ok. So easy going. :)

Renee...the OP is on the Royal & the deluxe balcony cabins have a loveseat couch but not in the standard balcony cabins.

It's DW category on Regal. The photos I found (not of that room, but of Deluxe Obstructed Balcony category) show a small love seat next to the balcony, so I assumed it was going to be the sofa-bed. Kind of uncomfortable, because when it's unfolded, it cuts off the balcony access.

To think of it, last time I called Princess or TA a couple of years ago about Regal, I was told that sofa beds were only available starting at mini-suite category, that's why I was confused.

What category is your cabin? If it begins with a "D" you'll have a loveseat couch that may convert into a small bed; if it begins with a "B" there is no couch but as you can see in this other post there's an upper bunk that recesses into the ceiling when not in use.

wow, what a weird place to have a bunk bed lowered out of.

It's DW category on Regal. The photos I found (not of that room, but of Deluxe Obstructed Balcony category) show a small love seat next to the balcony, so I assumed it was going to be the sofa-bed. Kind of uncomfortable, because when it's unfolded, it cuts off the balcony access.

To think of it, last time I called Princess or TA a couple of years ago about Regal, I was told that sofa beds were only available starting at mini-suite category, that's why I was confused.

Unfortunately most TAs & Princess reps haven't sailed on most ships which too often results in misinformation. Deluxe balcony cabins have a loveseat couch which I've had 3 times but did not check to see if it was a sofa bed or had a recessed upper bunk like in the standard balcony cabin.

We recently booked an obstructed standard balcony cabin & Princess told my TA the obstruction was a sold metal railing instead of a light blue tinted plexiglass like on other balconies. I checked the website with photos of many of the obstructed balcony cabins including our balcony which along with photos of the ship confirmed it's plexiglass.

Unfortunately most TAs & Princess reps haven't sailed on most ships which too often results in misinformation. Deluxe balcony cabins have a loveseat couch which I've had 3 times but did not check to see if it was a sofa bed or had a recessed upper bunk like in the standard balcony cabin.

We recently booked an obstructed standard balcony cabin & Princess told my TA the obstruction was a sold metal railing instead of a light blue tinted plexiglass like on other balconies. I checked the website with photos of many of the obstructed balcony cabins including our balcony which along with photos of the ship confirmed it's plexiglass.

Balcony and Deluxe Balcony that are designated on deck plans to hold 4 have bunks in ceiling. Otherwise, no bunks. All deluxe has the extra sofa which can fold out, but I wouldn't think anyone would use other than for a small child staying in room with parents.