Has Regent become blasé towards its clients, or am I just not understanding?

poss

Hmmmmm, now someone can own a cruise and call it their own

I apologize if you were offended by the word "MY" as in "MY" cruise. You were very astute in picking that up. I should have used "OUR" as you did in "OUR cruise from hell". Plural reference would have been correct. At any rate as the focus of this thread has wound around and down, I'm thinking that thanks are in order for all the time and energy that you have expended in trying to educate me and others. I'm thinking that thanks are probably due to you from Silversea and Seabourn.

After researching threads as TC2 suggested to do, the thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2429884

that began on December 7th, 2016, is an interesting read. Cruise industry news came out with the information about Cuba before passengers on the cruise had been notified of the change to Cuba. If you read posts #29 by fizzy, #30 by TC2, #31by Marq, #32 by RachelG, and #33 by the cleave, one can certainly understand the issues that changing the cruise to include Cuba created. It also documents the delay in getting the information out from Regent to passengers.

In the past, which is over 7 years ago, Regent changed a couple of itineraries we had booked. Not only did they make us "whole" if we chose not to sail on the new itineraries, but they ensured that they kept us sailing with them by going above and beyond what we would have expected.

TC2, I think that if you can take a step back and "be fizzy", you would understand why, for her, Regent needed to step up to the plate. (This is not about all of the passengers who were happy.)

In this instance, there is no insurance that would cover the loss of flights, hotels, etc. If, as you appear to say, all or many of the other passengers were happy with the change and many/some passengers paid more money for the cruise, why wouldn't Regent make things right for those passengers who were not happy with the change? This was not a changed "port"; it was a changed itinerary.

Now, to try and emphasize how a change in itinerary can matter. You stated on the other thread that your DH could not go to North Korea. Imagine if your Japan and China cruise was changed to skip either Japan or China and go to North Korea instead. Regent didn't inform you or your TA of the change before it was published as well as posted on CC. - How would you feel? What would you expect? It's about "you" and how you feel when you have to cancel the cruise. It's not about all of those other passengers who might be happy with the change.

IMO, fizzy's issues were as a result of Regent's lack of communication and lack of timely communication. As well, because Cuba was the change in itinerary, she should have got every penny she had spent back and made "whole".

To the OP, fizzy, and others who are/were directly affected by the issues, I hope that Regent uses these comments to help them improve their onshore service(s).

Well said.

I apologize if you were offended by the word "MY" as in "MY" cruise. You were very astute in picking that up. I should have used "OUR" as you did in "OUR cruise from hell". Plural reference would have been correct. At any rate as the focus of this thread has wound around and down, I'm thinking that thanks are in order for all the time and energy that you have expended in trying to educate me and others. I'm thinking that thanks are probably due to you from Silversea and Seabourn.

Until my problem with Regents flights, I did not really read the "threads" about Regent - I took them at "their word". However, you are right, I for one have been well educated by some posters and 2018 sees my first sailing with Silversea's.

Until my problem with Regents flights, I did not really read the "threads" about Regent - I took them at "their word". However, you are right, I for one have been well educated by some posters and 2018 sees my first sailing with Silversea's.

Good to hear that you will e trying another cruise line. IMO, people that are so unhappy with Regent should try other lines. We have sailed Silversea three times and it is a solid luxury cruise line. Ultimately, however, we returned to Regent. Hope that you enjoy Silversea! It sounds like a couple of other posters on this thread are so upset with Regent that going to another cruise line might put things into perspective.

Kwaj girl - thank you so much for your response. What you received for the disruption of your cruise makes sense. I'm sure that what you and other passengers had to endure was dramatically more than missing a port or two (although, admittedly, that is subjective).

Time will tell whether the problem right now on this cruise will result in a change in plans. At the moment, we are just hoping that the stranded passengers get back to the ship safely. In life, that is the most important thing. The rest is just ................ well, can't use the word that I'm thinking of.

Good to hear that you will e trying another cruise line. IMO, people that are so unhappy with Regent should try other lines. We have sailed Silversea three times and it is a solid luxury cruise line. Ultimately, however, we returned to Regent. Hope that you enjoy Silversea! It sounds like a couple of other posters on this thread are so upset with Regent that going to another cruise line might put things into perspective.

TC2. For your information, I have already tried a number of other lines and, to be honest, given the pain my current booking has been with Regent, if I was offered a refund I would be sailing with another line in November. You posting suggests that trying another line is going to make see how wonderful Regent is. Well, sorry, but while I enjoyed my last Regent cruise, I have equally enjoyed many others with different cruise lines. But yes, I am looking forward to trying Silversea's and after the Viking "thread" on CC I am looking to book with them too. But you keep those "rose tinted glasses on" and keep flying the Regent flag.

TC2. For your information, I have already tried a number of other lines and, to be honest, given the pain my current booking has been with Regent, if I was offered a refund I would be sailing with another line in November. You posting suggests that trying another line is going to make see how wonderful Regent is. Well, sorry, but while I enjoyed my last Regent cruise, I have equally enjoyed many others with different cruise lines. But yes, I am looking forward to trying Silversea's and after the Viking "thread" on CC I am looking to book with them too. But you keep those "rose tinted glasses on" and keep flying the Regent flag.

Still wish you happy sailing on whatever cruise line you wish to sail on.

"We" can leave it at that when that is correct. I mentioned many times that we had purchased 1st class air as we did not in any way feel that coach included flights translated to luxury.

Thought that it was another poster - sorry. Then it is great that you were able utilize your first class flights. However, you could have used Regent to upgrade to first class and then your money would not be at risk. Just saying.........

Surprised you can find the time with all your CC postings.

I multi-task. Actually, I have more time on this cruise than I do at home. Just propped up on the sofa watching the islands and hoping that the stranded guests get back safely. This is a very laid back cruise - at a place that we have been several times previously.

This is also the first cruise where I have taken a iPhone, iPad and laptop and I'm getting better connectivity everywhere on the ship than in the past. The worst connectivity is in the computer room. Go figure!

I multi-task. Actually, I have more time on this cruise than I do at home. Just propped up on the sofa watching the islands and hoping that the stranded guests get back safely. This is a very laid back cruise - at a place that we have been several times previously.

This is also the first cruise where I have taken a iPhone, iPad and laptop and I'm getting better connectivity everywhere on the ship than in the past. The worst connectivity is in the computer room. Go figure!

Off the subject line, I did want to respond to you TC about us missing the Explorers T/A, In October I had a medical emergency that sent me into the hospital several times, Oct. Nov. and Jan. We had to cancel our cruise last minute w/o insurance! That will teach us! I am now all put back together. Thanks for asking! We have booked the now sold out roundtrip Tokyo in April 2019. We are both retired now and living the good life in Santa Fe, have not ran into Rich or Jenny. Take care, regards to Dennis

I apologize if you were offended by the word "MY" as in "MY" cruise. You were very astute in picking that up. I should have used "OUR" as you did in "OUR cruise from hell". Plural reference would have been correct. At any rate as the focus of this thread has wound around and down, I'm thinking that thanks are in order for all the time and energy that you have expended in trying to educate me and others. I'm thinking that thanks are probably due to you from Silversea and

Seems to me that any experienced cruiser should be well aware of the fact that unexpected changes in itineraries can and do happen. It's a given in this mode of travel, and when it does occur, you can either allow the perceived inconvenience to ruin your vacation, or be a "grown up," resist the urge to launch yourself into a pointless spiral of complaining, and just deal with it.

Otherwise, pick a different way to travel where the possibility won't occur.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I apologize if you were offended by the word "MY" as in "MY" cruise. You were very astute in picking that up. I should have used "OUR" as you did in "OUR cruise from hell". Plural reference would have been correct. At any rate as the focus of this thread has wound around and down, I'm thinking that thanks are in order for all the time and energy that you have expended in trying to educate me and others. I'm thinking that thanks are probably due to you from Silversea and

Seems to me that any experienced cruiser should be well aware of the fact that unexpected changes in itineraries can and do happen. It's a given in this mode of travel, and when it does occur, you can either allow the perceived inconvenience to ruin your vacation, or be a "grown up," resist the urge to launch yourself into a pointless spiral of complaining, and just deal with it.

Otherwise, pick a different way to travel where the possibility won't occur.

Okay, I'm puzzled. What does this criticism have to do with Fizzy's post about the lack of notification about the changes? This change was not the usual change due to weather, port closures, etc. It was a deliberate corporate decision to change the focus of the cruise to Cuba. That is not something that experienced or in experienced passengers should expect. If we really want to look at "grown up" behavior and a pointless spiral of complaining, a mirror often can be a useful tool.

This thread has been repeatedly taken off topic. The topic began as to whether Regent has become blasé to guests and devolved into one in which repeated accusations that the thread was off topic indeed managed to take it off topic. IMO, what's off topic is the seemingly endless charges about the thread being off topic.

Could we just get back to whether Regent is or is not blasé toward guests?

I had a great experience with them last November. For work reasons, I had to change cruises from a med itinerary in August to one in November. It wasn't at the last minute, but it was stressful anyway, and they couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.