Weird thread about verandah railings........

Herfnerd

Leaving Saturday on the Eurodam RT Alaska. We have a verandah room on the Rotterdam deck.

The question I have is whether anyone knows if the glass wall goes up and into the wood top rail or if there is a gap on the verandah? The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to take my GoPro and strap it to the railing to take time lapsed photos of our time in Glacier Bay - hope this is possible (and allowed)

Anyone know?

TIA

It looks like the glass goes all the way to the top.

You're right, but there are small gaps between the panes where one could secure a Go-Pro camera. I use the gaps to my advantage at sail-away from FLL when I put our Canadian flag on the balcony for the webcam.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I frequently take my GoPro on a cruise for time lapse photography. What I have found works best is using the GoPro vacuum cup accessory to attach to the glass partition. On most HAL balconies there is a small gap between the glass and wood railing. This allows me to use a safety cord, which prevents the GoPro from falling into the drink if the vacuum cup fails. So far no failures, as the vacuum cup holds very well.

Previously, I used a Gorilla Pod with my GoPro, which I wrapped around the railing. This worked, but was not as secure, necessating the safety cord.

FYI, the time lapse setting that I have discovered works best on a cruise, is to take a photo every 1/2 second.

Bob

I frequently take my GoPro on a cruise for time lapse photography. What I have found works best is using the GoPro vacuum cup accessory to attach to the glass partition. On most HAL balconies there is a small gap between the glass and wood railing. This allows me to use a safety cord, which prevents the GoPro from falling into the drink if the vacuum cup fails. So far no failures, as the vacuum cup holds very well.

Previously, I used a Gorilla Pod with my GoPro, which I wrapped around the railing. This worked, but was not as secure, necessating the safety cord.

FYI, the time lapse setting that I have discovered works best on a cruise, is to take a photo every 1/2 second.

Bob

Thanks for the info! I was contemplating bringing my Joby tripod and wrap it on the top railing but thought better of it. Never crossed my mind to use the suction cup!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here's another pic of yours that shows it better ... but note the gap at the bottom that could be used.

2cdu5v8.jpg

Oh dear! I read the OP wrong, I just saw "Rotterdam" and Googled "Rotterdam balcony" :o

I missed completely that the OP asked about the Eurodam.

(I think you post my picture more than I do! And that's OK. :D )

At the top?
In the pic in post #4 I see clouds between the wood rail and the steel wall on the far balcony, but I sure don't see clouds between the glass and wood on the near balcony.

bobjoek - what cabin(s) were you in? Maybe that makes a difference.

Edited by catl331

In the pic in post #4 I see clouds between the wood rail and the steel wall on the far balcony, but I sure don't see clouds between the glass and wood on the near balcony.

bobjoek - what cabin(s) were you in? Maybe that makes a difference.

Two shots of the Eurodam, different locations and decks, does not show any gaps between the glass and the wooden rail on top.

x41zrc.jpg

2v0bgy0.jpg

Two shots of the Eurodam, different locations and decks, does not show any gaps between the glass and the wooden rail on top.
I've searched all of the Eurodam and Nieuw A veranda and suite pictures on halfacts and found none that showed a gap at the top of the glass. HERE IS one of N.A. 5096 that convincingly shows no gap at the top, but gaps at the sides and bottom.