Best side of the ship

Hello,

We are hoping to cruise New Zealand next year departing out of Sydney and wondering if heading towards the Sounds and fiords in New Zealand if there's a better side of the ship to be on, port or starboard while cruising? Any ideas on this one would be great from some of those experienced New Zealand cruisers. Thank you.

Hello,

We are hoping to cruise New Zealand next year departing out of Sydney and wondering if heading towards the Sounds and fiords in New Zealand if there's a better side of the ship to be on, port or starboard while cruising? Any ideas on this one would be great from some of those experienced New Zealand cruisers. Thank you.

In my opinion no.

Once in the sounds they turn the ship so each side gets views, but the best spot is up on deck anyway.

Much of the time you are out of sight of land.

Then comes the question which is better some land glimpses or watching the ocean traffic and sea life and finally what is your itinerary clockwise or anti clockwise?

Esilef, we had an aft cabin going through the sounds. I stayed out there covered in every layer of wool I had with me all day. It was glorious

We have 2 aft cabins booked on deck 9 of the radiance for our NZ cruise next year. So happy to hear how good it is 😊

Solve the problem by booking an AFT cabin then you can see both sides

Fine if you don't encounter rough weather going across 'the ditch.' If so you will have the ride of your life, yeeehah.:p

Personally I prefer a mid ship cabin on the lower decks on any ship. Stability is the word.

Fine if you don't encounter rough weather going across 'the ditch.' If so you will have the ride of your life, yeeehah.:p

Personally I prefer a mid ship cabin on the lower decks on any ship. Stability is the word.

and when has the trip across the ditch every been anything but smooth sailing (evil laugh).

and when has the trip across the ditch every been anything but smooth sailing (evil laugh).

Indeed, been across a few times, each was a rollercoaster part of the way on ye olde Regal Princess, Celebrity Solstice and Diamond Princess, the 'ditch' or the 'dutch' in Kiwi language can be unkind to any ship. Can be I said.:o

Indeed, been across a few times, each was a rollercoaster part of the way on ye olde Regal Princess, Celebrity Solstice and Diamond Princess, the 'ditch' or the 'dutch' in Kiwi language can be unkind to any ship. Can be I said.:o

Well the "dutch" will make mighty sailors out of us all!

Well, we are looking at heading out of Sydney and into the Sounds first and then around to the rest of New Zealand, ending with Auckland before heading back to Sydney. Hope this helps, but it is sounding like it doesn't matter which side you are on and that the ship will turn around for both sides to see.

As mentioned when it comes to the sounds there is no side better than the other as the ships do a slow 180 before departing the sounds, in Milford she will sit there for a period of time so you can take it all in before she starts the turnaround. As for the crossing and rough weather ( BOTH WAYS) you rarely are able to miss it however depending on the type / size of ship, ( some captains are prepared to spend a little more on fuel for the comfort of the passengers) with common sense knowing you are going into those waters you will not end up as one of the "sickies":D These days cruise ships have come a long way to improve the ride so really it is up to the passenger to take care of themselves and help themselves. While I /we do not get sea sick on modern ships one of the things we always do to protect ourselves is to take sea sick tabs before getting on and in the case of the NZ cruise we take them intil we are at the sounds and then again a few hours after leaving Auckland ( if that is the way you are coming home) also leave the feeding your face "till you cant eat anymore":eek: until you have done the crossing and lay off the drinks for the sake of a couple of days doing the right thing you end up with a fantastic holiday rather than feeling sorry for yourself. As for the side of the ship in "most cases" the ships will dock ( dockside) on the Starboard side so if you want for the likes of those ports to see the bands and entertainment they offer to passengers while the ship is in/entering port ( like Napier with the old time band and the ladies in dress and parisols etc etc ) that is the best side I have found-- we are coming up for our 15th "annual cruise to NZ and what ever you do you will have a great cruise:)

While in the sounds it doesn't make much difference, I have preferred the Port side once you have left the first sound and head to the next and they sail very close to the shore. In addition, smoking on the promenade has tended to be on the starboard side for X, royal and Princess, if that makes a difference.

Would just like to clarify my earlier post if I may, I wroteit on the basis of those who are fortunate enough to have balcony’s and suitesand can have the TV turned up, listening to the commentary of the Parks peoplewhile lounging back with a pizza in the sounds ! heck of a life lolololol :Dhence as smoking isbanned from balcony’s on all cruise lines never gave it a thought and while Iagree you do see the coast line on Port it is for such a short period of timewhen you take into account it is a 10-16 day cruise a hour of coast line wassomething I haven’t taken into account of really missing as you can do thatfrom one of the restaurants anyway.