Why did you have to cancel your cruise?

PlayCousin

Those that have canceled and had insurance, is the process hard? I called to see my options, while they gave me the info, they were very short and made it sound like a gamble.

The one time I had to make a claim (when my mother-in-law passed away), it was super-easy. I was booked with Princess and had purchased the insurance thru them. As I recall, I called their 800 number, told them that I had to cancel and that I had their insurance, and they gave me instructions on how to file the claim. They were very nice about it. I submitted the documentation they needed (death certificate) and they processed a full refund.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I canceled a Saturday cruise on the Tuesday of that week. My Mom had heart valve replacement surgery and should have gone into rehab two weeks before we cruised. Instead she had complications (like flatlining a time or two among a host of other issues) and was instead in ICU for almost 28 days. I did have to jump through hoops, but jump I did. We were reimbursed for everything that wasn't refunded. Hats off to TravelGuard!

Cancelled a cruise 1 week after final payment due to wife finding out she had ovarian cancer and Dr would not release her travel until after the cruised sailed . We had insurance, called our T/A and she helped filled out our forms. Got most of my our money back.

For frequent Cruisers, or just frequent travelers, consider an annual policy. Last year, we bought one with a $10,000 maximum coverage and used $6000 of it when my father-in-law passed away and we were in Bangkok. They paid for business class return fair and all of our missed but paid for hotel reservations, and even our taxis to and from the airport. When we renew, we're going for a higher number since we have a lot more travel plans in 2018/19.

I booked a HAL cruise on the Veendam to Bermuda. 6 months prior to the cruise I had to cancel due to work obligations. I should have read the fine print. I lost $300... The insurance was non refundable from HAL. I stewed over that for months. First off, I could not cruise, stay in a Lanai stateroom and then spend 4 days in Hamilton on Front Street. Then to add insult to injury, spend $300 not to be able to have the experience!

We've missed 2.

First was a couple years back before we knew to book our flights a day in advance. Delta sent us an email about 1:30 am to tell us our flight to Seattle had been cancelled. My email doesn't ring. Does yours? Anyway, when we get up the next morning, and check the status and boom. No flight. So, we call Delta and they say they can get us there if we're on a flight that leaves the airport in 20 minutes! So, after talking to multiple people, we said fine, get us to Juneau in 2 days, and we'll pick up the cruise there. We knew we were in trouble when the reservationist asks, "Isn't that an international flight?" Then they wanted another 1100 per person, since it wasn't on our original itinerary. We still haven't been to Alaska.

The second was just this June. We had a cruise out of NYC to Bermuda. We fly to LGA, and are staying to the airport Marriott. As we're getting our luggage about 5 PM, my cell phone has a message asking if we've changed the locks on the house. It's our dog sitter, and she can't get in. As it turns out, she's not even there. She was in Las Vegas and sent a relative who lost the key. This she finally admitted around 10 PM, after a bit of yelling on my part. As a result, with no other options, we paid $200 per person change fee, to fly back home the next morning. .One of our dogs is 16 years old, and takes 6 medications a day. It was a very expensive 18 hours in NYC. We have a new dog sitter.