HAL to Key Largo instead of Key West?

sail7seas

I have enjoyed a number of port days in Key West but wonder if it would be possible for HAL to go to Key Largo instead? If it is possible, I wonder why they never do? Perhaps no docks that can handle the ships? I have never been there and have no idea ab out conditions or what is there..

Key Largo does not have a pier, nor any sort of facility to handle thousands of guests tendering ashore. Plus, they are not a Port of Entry and cannot support Customs/Immigrations. Also, there really isn't a downtown area for pedestrians to walk around.

I have enjoyed a number of port days in Key West but wonder if it would be possible for HAL to go to Key Largo instead? If it is possible, I wonder why they never do? Perhaps no docks that can handle the ships? I have never been there and have no idea ab out conditions or what is there..

No cruise ship dock at Key Largo is correct S7S; it would have to be a tender operation. Not sure if the infrastructure is there to handle it; shorex, etc.

No cruise ship dock at Key Largo is correct S7S; it would have to be a tender operation. Not sure if the infrastructure is there to handle it; shorex, etc.

Thanks, Copper. Tender wouldn';t be so bad. Beats when HAL has to go to navy Yard. much more convenient to dock docktown. :).. Infrastructure is a big factor, cetainly.

All those in the Keys today,,,,,,,,, hope you ride out the storm with minimal damage, no loss of life and few injuries..

Tendering wouldn't be good at all. One thing I forget to mention is the reef line, which is about 8 miles offshore. There is no shipping channel going into KL. The ship would have to anchor at least 9 miles offshore, making for a long tender ride.

Edited by Aquahound

Tendering wouldn't be good at all. One thing I forget to mention is the reef line, which is about 8 miles offshore. There is no shipping channel going into KL. The ship would have to anchor at least 9 miles offshore, making for a long tender ride.

Thanks for sharing that important inforfmation. Certtainyl clarifies