Drones on HAL ship?

chabre

Hi,

Next year I am cruising on the Westerdam to Alaska.

I am a photographer and want to take my drone to take some footage of the ports ( it is obvious I won't use it onboard ), but I don't know if I can bring it onboard.

On most of the cruise lines websites, including HAL, it says it is prohibited. But I have read that in practice, some cruise lines allows to bring them, they "confiscate" the drone on embarkation and give it to you on the gangway when you arrive to the ports. Ive read people telling that was their case on Princess, Carnival and Royal, but have not read about HAL.

Any info/experience on this?

Thanks!

There may be more updated information on this subject but this was a post from Dec where someone had used a drone. (See message #33). At least in this case, the poster made security aware of it and was only allowed to use it off the ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2427981&highlight=drone&page=2

I just finished a HAL cruise where people had drones for shore days. There are rules that you can find in the passenger docs

Thanks for that! Ill check the docs, ( I just booked the cruise a couple days ago and haven't go through the pre check-in ( the cruise is next may ), so I don't have the docs yet ).

Thanks for that! Ill check the docs, ( I just booked the cruise a couple days ago and haven't go through the pre check-in ( the cruise is next may ), so I don't have the docs yet ).
There are loads of details on the website that we never receive in the cruise documents themselves:

The following items are prohibited and their possession is not allowed on board any Company ship by passengers or crew without a valid lawful reason, unless required in direct support of ship operations, as part of a crew member's official duties, and only with consent of the Ship's Master.

Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4090

The following items may be brought on board but can only be used off the ship,for port use only. All items must be stored in the guest’s stateroom.

DroneCameras

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3632

There are loads of details on the website that we never receive in the cruise documents themselves:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4090

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3632

Thanks bUU,

I know the parent company from HAL and Carnival is the same, but they are different cruise lines and they might not have the same rules. On HALs website only says that they are not allowed, thats why I am asking for any personal experience on that.

Thanks bUU,

I know the parent company from HAL and Carnival is the same, but they are different cruise lines and they might not have the same rules. On HALs website only says that they are not allowed, thats why I am asking for any personal experience on that.

Drones are on the HAL's prohibited items list so not allowed on board.

• Drones also referred to as Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) or Remotely Piloted Aerial Vehicle (RPA), and any
  • other remote controlled aerial devices/toys.

Meaning, if you show up with one on embarkation day in either your checked or carry-on luggage, it will be temporarily taken from you; you'll be given a receipt, and it will be stored onboard

There are obviously places on land where drones can be flown but don't do what an Amsterdam passenger did in Icy Strait Point, AK and fly the drone where it was prohibited with clear signage posted. It was subsequently taken from her by local law enforcement

Thanks bUU,

Did I do that? Sorry. I must have been distracted between when I read the post and when I put my reply together. Y' know a few weeks ago I looked into trying to find a way to color the background of the two boards differently so I wouldn't mistake a post from one for a post from the other. Unfortunately, there's no way to do it. Sorry for the mispost.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.