Upcoming cruise concerns

vcloutie

we are suppose to set sail out of port canaveral with carnival cruise for an eastern Caribbean cruise to St marteen,St Kitts and San Juan which all three islands were hit. The cruise is suppose to leave in 9-16-17 and we live in Michigan the cruise line will not let us know until the 14th what our choices are.

The choices are easy: get on the boat, or go home.

So here we are driving to Florida and there are no hotels to be found and very little gas. We really should not be here. Unhappy cruiser Virginia

The east coast didn't get a direct hit. There are plenty of hotels available. I leave on Monday, and my hotel is up, running and my reservation re-confirmed for 9/17.

You're being extremely dramatic and immature. You're about to go on a lovely tropical vacation, where you're going to have a lot of fun, eat a bunch of good food, and sit back in the sun sipping delicious cocktails. Are you going to make every port? Maybe not. But such is cruising. I suggest you get ready to have fun, and go on the ship with an open mind ready to enjoy your vacation. If not you might as well turn around and drive back to Michigan, because you're going to sabotage your own vacation with a bad attitude.

Edited by latitude918

we are suppose to set sail out of port canaveral with carnival cruise for an eastern Caribbean cruise to St marteen,St Kitts and San Juan which all three islands were hit. The cruise is suppose to leave in 9-16-17 and we live in Michigan the cruise line will not let us know until the 14th what our choices are. So here we are driving to Florida and there are no hotels to be found and very little gas. We really should not be here. Unhappy cruiser Virginia

According to Carnival's latest alert at https://www.carnival.com/travel-alerts.aspx , the cruise is departing as scheduled and will head to Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Kitts, and Antigua.

The choices are easy: get on the boat, or go home.

The east coast didn't get a direct hit. There are plenty of hotels available. I leave on Monday, and my hotel is up, running and my reservation re-confirmed for 9/17.

Seriously?????? Irma was a massive storm. The east coast of Florida was in the eastern quadrants of the storm as it approached and passed through the state. The east side of the storm is the "bad" side to be on.

That meant the east coast suffered heavy flooding from the storm surge, tornadoes, and punishing wind.

Power is out for many areas. Removal of storm debris is ongoing.

The OP is justified in her concerns.

I also suggest that for any local reservation you may have in Florida that you check closer to your departure dates. Make sure the your hotel is not doing the right thing by making sure that their rooms are being given to evacuees or emergency cruises restoring power to the state. Depending on where and when your reservations are, it might just be that the rooms were not freed up as soon as the hotel is projecting at this point.

Seriously?????? Irma was a massive storm. The east coast of Florida was in the eastern quadrants of the storm as it approached and passed through the state. The east side of the storm is the "bad" side to be on.

That meant the east coast suffered heavy flooding from the storm surge, tornadoes, and punishing wind.

Power is out for many areas. Removal of storm debris is ongoing.

The OP is justified in her concerns.

I also suggest that for any local reservation you may have in Florida that you check closer to your departure dates. Make sure the your hotel is not doing the right thing by making sure that their rooms are being given to evacuees or emergency cruises restoring power to the state. Depending on where and when your reservations are, it might just be that the rooms were not freed up as soon as the hotel is projecting at this point.

Yes, seriously. There are hotels open. There is gas. The dramatics need to stop. OP will get on the ship and be fine. I was merely suggesting that OP stop complaining and start enjoying their vacation.

Edited by latitude918

I understand your concerns, but that is all they would be to me, concerns. I am getting to that ship and getting on it. If driving, gas up in Georgia and every chance you get each couple of hours south. You will find that the high traffic areas are out of gas, but the off the road small places are fine. Things will be much better when you get back in a week. As for hotel, I would even sit in my car for a night before I missed a cruise, but I bet you have no trouble finding one. Oh, and give yourself plenty of time to get there. Like an extra day.

Do you think St Maarten may be ready in time for a cruise November 2018??

Karen

Absolutely no one can give you this answer! You will just have to wait and see. So much rebuilding to be done, it may take a year or more to accomplish this.

Port Canaveral has had at least one tanker in since reopening, and another is waiting to get in and discharge, so this would be 20-35 million gallons of gasoline and diesel there. PEV has had two gasoline tankers already, and one going in this afternoon, and one jet fuel tanker discharged and two waiting to get in. This will get fuel to the airports to get the cruisers in and out of Florida. There may be spotty gas shortages, depending on contracts for fuel delivery by tank truck to various stations, but the product is flowing in.

We are sitting off PEV right now with 13 million gallons of jet fuel, and will be going in just as soon as the previous tanker completes their discharge. I know that there are portions of PEV still without power, even downtown, and I've heard that PC is in worse shape, but FPL hopes to have power restored to nearly all of Brevard, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties by the end of the weekend. So, some hotels that are not damaged may not be open because of power outages.

I'm on the east coast of Florida in Daytona Beach and almost everything is up and running now. No issues with gas at all. I don't believe the hotels are going to be a big issue. People that evacuated the Keys and Miami went further north than Port Canaveral. Enjoy your cruise. I think you ended up with a better overall itinerary anyway.