1200 PAX Newbuild for Oceania?

Druke I

World Ocean and Cruise Liner Society is reporting that in addition to adding Marina to the fleet, a rumor that Oceania is looking into the possibility of a 1200 Passenger newbuild.

Rumor only at this point in time.

That would not be desirable. It will add large ships to the mid-sized ones, thus changing Oceania's cultivated image in this niche market. Moreover, it will mean over-expansion too quickly, falling into the trap of the former Renaissance. While many businessmen are expansionist in nature (that is why they get into business in the first place), the majority of business failures are due to over-expansion. It only creates over-capacity, self-competition, and consequent cut-throat rates to fill the ships. It is hoped that the present management, with their experience, will have the wisdom not to walk down that path again. It is much better to have a smaller market share, stay healthy, have a good margin and be profitable! In the long run, as ordinary individual consumers, we hope that more cruise lines can be stable and prosper, to offer us more choices.

World Ocean and Cruise Liner Society is reporting that in addition to adding Marina to the fleet, a rumor that Oceania is looking into the possibility of a 1200 Passenger newbuild.

Rumor only at this point in time.

Hope it stays only a rumor.

Jane

I suppose giving some credence to the rumor might be the fact that Joe Waters (or Watters?), one of the "honchos" of Oceania, formerly was with Crystal, and they do very well with 1200 PAX "luxury" liners.

Having been on both Crystal and Oceania, I prefer the latter.

Please!!! If I wanted to be with that many people on the ship, I would have booked with Crystal!!! Not only do they offer complimentary non-alcoholic drinks for us teatotalers (one reason we don't book ourselves aboard all-inclusive luxury lines), but they rank higher in Conde Nast Traveler's and Travel & Leisure's customer satisfaction surveys and offer a host of additional amenities commensurate with a larger ship and crew. I'm happy with Oceania's small passenger size and limited list of distractions (or onboard activities, as others call them). :)

Dr. Wong, Teatotaler here as well, could you be more explicit regarding 'complimentary non-alcoholic drinks'? Free sodas? Only at certain times?

I have heard that that is a policy on Crystal..which Dr. Wong was talking about..not on Oceania..

Jan

I agree with drwong and meow. We just got off the Prinsendam, and it was fabulous, even for an old ship. We are getting truly accustomed to the "smaller" ships. Hope Oceania doesn't ruin what we thought they were building. One more comment, I wish they would do Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific.

It would make good sense, especially if they end up buying the Pacific/Tahitian Princess, to keep the ship sailing in an existing market in the South Pacific, away from the other three R ships to avoid self-competition. Good luck!

I've said it before and I'll repeat it again -- although we're currently booked on a 2/07 Princess (Sapphire) Australia/New Zealand cruise, I'll cancel it in a heartbeat and re-book with Oceania if/when they have a ship that does this itinerary.

Mike

Archived