Budget Cruiser - POA in November

ccw2891

Hello:

Forgive me if this has been addressed over and over. I have been searching these boards for days now and haven't really found anything that truly addresses some of my questions.

1st - we are experienced cruisers but have never sailed with Norwegian before and have never been to Hawaii. We are very excited and I will be celebrating a "big" birthday.

Now we are not rich by any means , but we do save for vacations and like to have a good time. After paying for airfare and this stay on the Pride of America our funds are limited.

All the post I have been reading and the reviews are of these esquisite balcony cabins and suites with fancy excursion in every port. Uh yeah that's not gonna happen here. "I wish - I barely got my husband to agree to go"

I was looking for reviews of regular cabins. I think we're able to get an obstructed oceanview cabin and I'm currently searching like mad to find things to do while in ports that's not going to cost $150 per person and up. We don't want to stay on the ship and I have been reading that the dock areas are mainly industrial.

Yes , I have read to rent a car in most ports and explore, which we will do. But a little more structure and a few ideas would be appreciated. I will definitely post an update when we return of what we were able to accomplish.

I guess people who do these cruises on a budget don't like to post reviews, or maybe you just have to be able to ball out to go, but it will be helpful to others trying to keep the cost down. Please refer me to budget port ideas and reviews of lower end cabins please. Please include details the more the better...I have questions like what is the fee to park your rental overnight by the ship....What state parks are worth the drive to...I'm sure all beaches are nice, but what are the best...things like that etc...Thanks

We did a Hawaiian land vacation 3 years ago and used the gypsy app, which downloaded to an old phone. It was amazing and we had great driving adventures with the app being our tour guide. Beautiful (and usually deserted) beaches, wonderful scenic views etc. Also, we rented cars from discount Hawaii car rentals dot come and the prices could not be beat.

Have a great vacation!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you haven't already done so I would check out the Hawaii ports of call forum about excursions. Lots of great info.

Here is the link if you haven't visited it yet:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

Yes thank you - I have visited the individual port links but lots of fancy excursion with few low cost options, but I plan to post there also just so many individual stops so I thought I would start with just the cruise in general.

We did a Hawaiian land vacation 3 years ago and used the gypsy app, which downloaded to an old phone. It was amazing and we had great driving adventures with the app being our tour guide. Beautiful (and usually deserted) beaches, wonderful scenic views etc. Also, we rented cars from discount Hawaii car rentals dot come and the prices could not be beat.

Have a great vacation!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yep, thats the plan. Use discount rental company and go on our own...Right now I have google trips app and just downloaded the gypsy app, lots of great driving suggestions there - awesome! ...Thanks for the suggestion.

Any low cost excursions suggestions are appreciated too from anyone. I don't want to completely rule out having a guided tour ( just not at $200 a person)

Hello:

Forgive me if this has been addressed over and over. I have been searching these boards for days now and haven't really found anything that truly addresses some of my questions.

1st - we are experienced cruisers but have never sailed with Norwegian before and have never been to Hawaii. We are very excited and I will be celebrating a "big" birthday.

Now we are not rich by any means , but we do save for vacations and like to have a good time. After paying for airfare and this stay on the Pride of America our funds are limited.

All the post I have been reading and the reviews are of these esquisite balcony cabins and suites with fancy excursion in every port. Uh yeah that's not gonna happen here. "I wish - I barely got my husband to agree to go"

I was looking for reviews of regular cabins. I think we're able to get an obstructed oceanview cabin and I'm currently searching like mad to find things to do while in ports that's not going to cost $150 per person and up. We don't want to stay on the ship and I have been reading that the dock areas are mainly industrial.

Yes , I have read to rent a car in most ports and explore, which we will do. But a little more structure and a few ideas would be appreciated. I will definitely post an update when we return of what we were able to accomplish.

I guess people who do these cruises on a budget don't like to post reviews, or maybe you just have to be able to ball out to go, but it will be helpful to others trying to keep the cost down. Please refer me to budget port ideas and reviews of lower end cabins please. Please include details the more the better...I have questions like what is the fee to park your rental overnight by the ship....What state parks are worth the drive to...I'm sure all beaches are nice, but what are the best...things like that etc...Thanks

You haven't booked the cruise yet, right?

If not, is it possible for you to save money a little longer and cruise later? Will it be your only visit to Hawaii? If yes, I think that it's worth to wait longer and have more money to spend while you are there.

Yes thank you - I have visited the individual port links but lots of fancy excursion with few low cost options, but I plan to post there also just so many individual stops so I thought I would start with just the cruise in general.

Try the CC Hawaii Message Board in addition to the port links. There are MANY people there who have been/are in the same position you are, and you should find a lot of information there.

You haven't booked the cruise yet, right?

If not, is it possible for you to save money a little longer and cruise later? Will it be your only visit to Hawaii? If yes, I think that it's worth to wait longer and have more money to spend while you are there.

People sure do have some interesting comments on these boards.

As I stated I have been saving for this trip & I will be celebrating a big birthday and that said birthday only happens once in a lifetime. Sure it can be celebrated anytime I get that.

After spending over $5000 for air and the cruise throwing a ton more money is just not what I want or need to be doing.

I am sure we'll have a great time regardless - but I just wanted to see if people could give there experience with this cruise without spending a ton of money...traveling in an inside or obstructed oceanview or any other low cost ideas. If that doesn't apply to you, then just move on to the next post. Thank you.

My one and only "unique" (I think) idea is to forget eating in fancy or even mid-priced restaurants on the islands. Go to places like Dairy Queen where they usually have a local fish sandwich that is very delicious for very little money. The local eateries including places like McDonalds have regional specialties for very little money and in some if not all cases taste better than fancy eateries like Duke's Canoe Club.

As I stated I have been saving for this trip & I will be celebrating a big birthday and that said birthday only happens once in a lifetime. Sure it can be celebrated anytime I get that.

After spending over $5000 for air and the cruise throwing a ton more money is just not what I want or need to be doing.

I am sure we'll have a great time regardless - but I just wanted to see if people could give there experience with this cruise without spending a ton of money...traveling in an inside or obstructed oceanview or any other low cost ideas. If that doesn't apply to you, then just move on to the next post. Thank you.

People have given you the very best money saving tip, and that is to use a rental car and do it yourself rather than book a tour. In Maui, you can pay for a ship or private tour for more than $100 pp for the Highway to Hana, for example, or get exactly the same thing with a $35 rental car. You can book an expensive tour through Upcountry to the summit of Haleakala, or you can get exactly the same tour for the price of a rental car. In Kauai, you can book an expensive tour to Waimea Canyon, or you can see it on your own for the price of a rental. See how that works? And the best part is that you get not just the equivalent of 1 tour for your rental $, but an entire day's worth, which could include beach stops, ocean view lunch, shopping etc. You can do the summit of Haleakala for instance, and then drive to beach at Kaanapali, shopping at Lahaina and end the day with Old Lahaina Luau. For water excursions, zip line, you'll need a tour, but book direct NOT through the ship.

The parking info is on the Hawaii message board. In Kauai there is parking a couple blocks away at the mall near Kalapaki Bay, $20 or so overnight. Maui, the only safe option is at the airport near the rental car offices for about the same money.

You don't need to waste money on even an Oceanview room. There are no sea days. You will be in ashore the entire day and drop exhausted into bed after a quick dinner. Money on anything but an inside is wasted.

I was only trying to give you an advise.

My advise should be that if you visit Hawaii once in your life you might want to do more expensive things but of course that's up to you. Since you don't want my advise I move on.

I was only trying to give you an advise.

My advise should be that if you visit Hawaii once in your life you might want to do more expensive things but of course that's up to you. Since you don't want my advise I move on.

Curious what you would consider "expensive things" when it comes to touring Hawaii. I would hate to think anyone would get the idea that it is necessary to buy expensive tours in order to see and experience Hawaii fully. The most expensive thing we did in Hawaii was a helicopter tour in Kauai ( booked direct with the operator for savings ), but because we spent next to nothing otherwise for full days of touring, we ended up spending much less on this trip than we have on other itineraries, like Alaska, where tours are more necessary to get you access to what you want to see.

My one and only "unique" (I think) idea is to forget eating in fancy or even mid-priced restaurants on the islands. Go to places like Dairy Queen where they usually have a local fish sandwich that is very delicious for very little money. The local eateries including places like McDonalds have regional specialties for very little money and in some if not all cases taste better than fancy eateries like Duke's Canoe Club.

Went to Hawaii (Oahu) several years ago with my wife and it blew my mind that they had Spam at McDonalds. Apparently Spam is a big deal in Hawaii.

People have given you the very best money saving tip, and that is to use a rental car and do it yourself rather than book a tour. In Maui, you can pay for a ship or private tour for more than $100 pp for the Highway to Hana, for example, or get exactly the same thing with a $35 rental car. You can book an expensive tour through Upcountry to the summit of Haleakala, or you can get exactly the same tour for the price of a rental car. In Kauai, you can book an expensive tour to Waimea Canyon, or you can see it on your own for the price of a rental. See how that works? And the best part is that you get not just the equivalent of 1 tour for your rental $, but an entire day's worth, which could include beach stops, ocean view lunch, shopping etc. You can do the summit of Haleakala for instance, and then drive to beach at Kaanapali, shopping at Lahaina and end the day with Old Lahaina Luau. For water excursions, zip line, you'll need a tour, but book direct NOT through the ship.

The parking info is on the Hawaii message board. In Kauai there is parking a couple blocks away at the mall near Kalapaki Bay, $20 or so overnight. Maui, the only safe option is at the airport near the rental car offices for about the same money.

You don't need to waste money on even an Oceanview room. There are no sea days. You will be in ashore the entire day and drop exhausted into bed after a quick dinner. Money on anything but an inside is wasted.

Thank you very much for the suggestions, that was exactly what I was looking for. Yes - We will be getting the rental car, I mainly was looking for the names of some of the best place to drive to. Haleakala, Hana, Waimea, Kaanapali and Lahaina is great info to get us started and I can do some more research. Thanks for your input. The oceanview obstructed is the same price as the inside cabin thats why I was looking for some others experiences with that category, I wouldn't pay extra ( but a balcony would be nice ;) Thanks again for your input.

In Kona we took the trolley for $2 dollars that took us down to a nice beach for snorkeling ...but you can also snorkel right off the little beach there

Thanks , good idea I appreciate the suggestion- Question - Did you have to bring your own equipment or does the beach there rent snorkeling gear?

Curious what you would consider "expensive things" when it comes to touring Hawaii. I would hate to think anyone would get the idea that it is necessary to buy expensive tours in order to see and experience Hawaii fully. The most expensive thing we did in Hawaii was a helicopter tour in Kauai ( booked direct with the operator for savings ), but because we spent next to nothing otherwise for full days of touring, we ended up spending much less on this trip than we have on other itineraries, like Alaska, where tours are more necessary to get you access to what you want to see.

For example a helicopter tour. We flew over Western Maui and Molokai and that was defenitely worth the money for us.

A hike in a rainforest with a guide can also cost much but might be worth the money.

Thank you very much for the suggestions, that was exactly what I was looking for. Yes - We will be getting the rental car, I mainly was looking for the names of some of the best place to drive to. Haleakala, Hana, Waimea, Kaanapali and Lahaina is great info to get us started and I can do some more research. Thanks for your input. The oceanview obstructed is the same price as the inside cabin thats why I was looking for some others experiences with that category, I wouldn't pay extra ( but a balcony would be nice ;) Thanks again for your input.

If oceanview is priced the same as an inside, then why not? A good resource for ideas on things to see and do is Trip Advisor. They'll have current consumer reviews and info on various tours and attractions. Or just simply Google "Maui" for instance and you'll find island guides, even guides set up for drivers, which will highlight each area and what's there do see and do.