Specialty Restaurants - Take out?

HomeBy3

I am traveling solo in a few days and a little nervous regarding dining. It appears that most of the specialty restaurants are now pricing Ala Carte so has anyone tried to purchase the menu items to take away to their rooms or elsewhere?

I would think they would be happy to take my money but I am not sure who to approach for this request.

Thanks in advance for your experience! I will be on the Gem, if that makes a difference.

~Lori

They normally don't allow it; they staff according to reservations.

It's likely they will have solo gatherings where you can meet others who may be interested in dinners w/others. Look in the Daily for where/when.

I am traveling solo in a few days and a little nervous regarding dining. It appears that most of the specialty restaurants are now pricing Ala Carte so has anyone tried to purchase the menu items to take away to their rooms or elsewhere?

I would think they would be happy to take my money but I am not sure who to approach for this request.

Thanks in advance for your experience! I will be on the Gem, if that makes a difference.

~Lori

~Lori

Take outs are not allowed.

If you are in a suite, you can ask that your butler pick up part of your meal and deliver it to your room for you. We sometimes ask that our desserts be taken to our stateroom.

If there is still time, join your Roll Call - you can usually "meet" others

who would enjoy getting together for dinner. Also attend the M & G if one is scheduled. On our upcoming cruise, one poster reserved a table for 8 in one of the Main Dining Rooms for the first night and invited anyone interested to join them.

Nope they don't have take away dishes. On one of our cruises, we could not finish our dinner and asked to be able to take what was left over to our room. After a very odd look and some hesitation, they did bring us our plate wrapped in saran wrap lol.

OP I've gotten the option of the specialty dining with my cruise. I too am struggling on the specialty dining option solo. (i'm just not comfortable with the idea of going to a better restaurant and eating alone). I'm on the Epic and from my understanding the solo gatherings do sign up sheets for the MDR to allow you to sit with others, but not the specialty dining. So I may have just wasted this perk.

Please come back when your cruise is over and let us know whether you found a way.

Nope they don't have take away dishes. On one of our cruises, we could not finish our dinner and asked to be able to take what was left over to our room. After a very odd look and some hesitation, they did bring us our plate wrapped in saran wrap lol.

OP I've gotten the option of the specialty dining with my cruise. I too am struggling on the specialty dining option solo. (i'm just not comfortable with the idea of going to a better restaurant and eating alone). I'm on the Epic and from my understanding the solo gatherings do sign up sheets for the MDR to allow you to sit with others, but not the specialty dining. So I may have just wasted this perk.

Please come back when your cruise is over and let us know whether you found a way.

I cruise solo and only eat in the specialty restuarants. It has never felt uncomfortable. I take my IPAD and will read between courses. The service has always been outstanding.

I am traveling solo in a few days and a little nervous regarding dining.

~Lori

Lori-Remember they also have a fair amount of solo meet ups. Many are organized out of the studios, and some activities for solo cruisers are listed in the dailies. A great place to ask around for a dining companion if you are up for company.

I cruise solo and only eat in the specialty restuarants. It has never felt uncomfortable. I take my IPAD and will read between courses. The service has always been outstanding.

Thanks NLH Arizona, I have heard from a lot of solo cruisers that they do this and are totally comfortable with eating alone. My DH of a 38 year marriage, passed away 4 months ago, so eating solo in any restaurant (land or sea) is not something I've had experience with. Unless of course you consider Mc D or such a restaurant LOL.

So it's going to take me a while to adjust to this "new normal". The last place I want to practice this is on a vacation that I am trying to rejuvenate after caregiving for a long illness of a loved one and also dealing with lots of new experiences already (vacationing solo for the 1st time). It would just add stress I really don't need at this time, so in turn take away from the nice meal I could have enjoyed.

I chose the specialty dining because I did not have use for another option for my "freebies" when I book. I'm hoping to meet others, possibly at the solo gathering or the meet & greet, that are interested in doing a specialty restaurant. If not it didn't cost me anything for the option, so all's good if I don't go to any.

I just got off the Dawn on my first solo and I was very hesitant to dine alone, although I signed up for the SDP x5. I worried that people would look down at me (or think I was lonely) for sitting by myself and I'm not one to sign up with the solo group and dine with strangers. Rather, I just wanted to sit and enjoy a nice meal on my own. What a fantastic experience! I went to Los Lobos on my first night weary of what I had gotten myself into, but the everybody made me feel right at ease. And, as a single, I got seated at some of the best locations. By the end of the cruise I walked into those specialty restaurants like I owned them. I even think others around me were a bit envious that I was getting some quality alone time. I ate at Los Lobos, La Cantina, Le Bistro, Cagney's and Moderno twice. So OP, if you can't get take out, have fun and book a reservation for 1. It'll be awesome!

• 2 weeks later...
I just got off the Dawn on my first solo and I was very hesitant to dine alone, although I signed up for the SDP x5. I worried that people would look down at me (or think I was lonely) for sitting by myself and I'm not one to sign up with the solo group and dine with strangers. Rather, I just wanted to sit and enjoy a nice meal on my own. What a fantastic experience! I went to Los Lobos on my first night weary of what I had gotten myself into, but the everybody made me feel right at ease. And, as a single, I got seated at some of the best locations. By the end of the cruise I walked into those specialty restaurants like I owned them. I even think others around me were a bit envious that I was getting some quality alone time. I ate at Los Lobos, La Cantina, Le Bistro, Cagney's and Moderno twice. So OP, if you can't get take out, have fun and book a reservation for 1. It'll be awesome!

Thank you ALL for your responses. Sitting up the night before, I think I feel much better about this!!!

I promise a post-cruise post about this.

~Lori

My first solo cruise was NYE this past year. I too was nervous about having a NYE meal solo. But I dressed up, did my hair and makeup, and enjoyed all courses from app to dessert. And followed with the NYE festivities. Fancy dress and all. It was the most empowering thing I ever did for myself! Not a single person batted an eye at me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The solo gatherings do also arrange visits to some of the speciality restaurants - I've certainly seen Moderno and La Cucina offered. And individuals will sometimes post an offer to join up.

I prefer to eat solo and find I always have a better experience in the speciality restaurants. They go the extra mile to look after you, without making you feel self-conscious. I take a book and read while waiting for courses to arrive.

Thanks NLH Arizona, I have heard from a lot of solo cruisers that they do this and are totally comfortable with eating alone. My DH of a 38 year marriage, passed away 4 months ago, so eating solo in any restaurant (land or sea) is not something I've had experience with. Unless of course you consider Mc D or such a restaurant LOL.

So it's going to take me a while to adjust to this "new normal". The last place I want to practice this is on a vacation that I am trying to rejuvenate after caregiving for a long illness of a loved one and also dealing with lots of new experiences already (vacationing solo for the 1st time). It would just add stress I really don't need at this time, so in turn take away from the nice meal I could have enjoyed.

I chose the specialty dining because I did not have use for another option for my "freebies" when I book. I'm hoping to meet others, possibly at the solo gathering or the meet & greet, that are interested in doing a specialty restaurant. If not it didn't cost me anything for the option, so all's good if I don't go to any.

I'm right there with you. My DH passed away 2 years ago. Cruising was our favorite vacation and he made me promise that I would continue cruising. Last October was my 1st time cruising solo, and I was very nervous, especially about eating alone...I like to have conversation during dinner. DH would say that I'm always talking about something. [emoji4]Anyway, I went to the solo gathering and made a lot of good friends. (That I've kept in touch with) Sometimes we would eat together but I also went to some of the specialty restaurants by myself. The 1st time I was a little uncomfortable but the staff went out of their way to make me comfortable. They would stop by to chat if they had a moment. I also took my iPad and would read between courses. My best meal was Ocean Blue on the Waterfront! Excellent food and an Amazing sunset! I still like to dine with friends, but I know I can go by myself, and not feel out of place.

I have three 14+ day cruises booked and two of them I'll be going solo!

Linda

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I promised a follow-up, but I can only echo the good advice already given here. I did summon up the confidence to try Teppanyaki, the Japanese specialty restaurant, because the format is such that tables of 8 are put together from smaller groups. As it happened, there was a family of four from Hawaii who sat next to me and were fun and engaging. The meal was great and having tableside entertainment in the chef was also helpful. I couldn't have felt lonely if I'd tried! If my opinion counts for anything, I will suggest that the best place on the ship to eat alone is the Great Outdoors. Early in the morning there are generally only tables of one as it is a wonderful place to greet the sunrise, wake the mind and just be quiet. And when out there during busier times, I was often asked if another could sit and join me, and met some of the most interesting people!

I promised a follow-up, but I can only echo the good advice already given here. I did summon up the confidence to try Teppanyaki, the Japanese specialty restaurant, because the format is such that tables of 8 are put together from smaller groups. As it happened, there was a family of four from Hawaii who sat next to me and were fun and engaging. The meal was great and having tableside entertainment in the chef was also helpful. I couldn't have felt lonely if I'd tried! If my opinion counts for anything, I will suggest that the best place on the ship to eat alone is the Great Outdoors. Early in the morning there are generally only tables of one as it is a wonderful place to greet the sunrise, wake the mind and just be quiet. And when out there during busier times, I was often asked if another could sit and join me, and met some of the most interesting people!
Glad you had a great time at the Teppanyaki restaurant, as it is one of my favorites and there is always someone to enjoy the dinner with. Hopefully, next time you will try one of the other specialty restaurants and thanks for the update.