storms and hurricanes

sailingsusie

Please note that the Key West Port will be reopening 9/24. I'm surprised that it will be this soon... was expecting a few more weeks. St. Thomas may take a few more weeks. St. Maarten possibly a little longer. The point is though, it hasn't been months or years, nor will it be.

Yep, here we go. Key West reopening, the others will be coming soon...

Please note that the Key West Port will be reopening 9/24. I'm surprised that it will be this soon... was expecting a few more weeks. St. Thomas may take a few more weeks. St. Maarten possibly a little longer. The point is though, it hasn't been months or years, nor will it be.

SMH, anything to try to get one up..I didn't mention key west btw and I am glad they are open..can't compare what happened in key west to the ports I mentioned. Btw carnival just announced no cruises out of SJ for several weeks, the next three have already been cancelled.

Pretty irresponsible to make comments like yours. St Maarten, Dominica, SAN Juan, St Thomas, St Croix have never been hit by hurricanes before like this. There countries and people are dealing with things they never imagined. It's much more than the port that is needed to cruise there. You must consider the safety of the passengers. There will be many that will want to go to places farther away from the port. At times like this it will not be safe as there will be people who try to take advantage of tourists as they have valuables. Please sit down and think this thru realistically as it may be months and years before cruise ships return to some of these ports. It sounds easy to say when the port opens we can cruise again but in reality is it isn't.

On these islands a large majority of the population earn their living thru the tourist trade. If you can't work you can't feed your family so it will be imperative that the tourists come back quickly. Cruise tourists are the easiest because they don't need hotels or resturants. They come on schedule and leave before dark.

SMH, anything to try to get one up..I didn't mention key west btw and I am glad they are open..can't compare what happened in key west to the ports I mentioned. Btw carnival just announced no cruises out of SJ for several weeks, the next three have already been cancelled.
Not one bit surprised SJ will be closed for several weeks. I WOULD be surprised if they were to announce they will be closed for a year. BTW, I'm not trying to get one up, just expressing my opinion, which happens to differ from yours. It isn't personal at all. Also, BTW, I'm sorry, but I don't have a clue what "SMH" is. May all your cruises be great ones, Coop! :)

We are scheduled to leave on the Vista on October 7th and have no idea where we will be going at this point but it doesn't really matter anyway does it? Those on here lecturing others who are wondering about where their cruise vacation will go really need to get off their high horse. Don't you realize you're on a cruise website and that the only thing that will help these islands and the people who live there get back to some sense of normal is to get tourism back ASAP?? If Carnival takes us to any of the islands that have recently opened up I hope the ship can bring in supplies and that the passengers spend their $$ there.

Not one bit surprised SJ will be closed for several weeks. I WOULD be surprised if they were to announce they will be closed for a year. BTW, I'm not trying to get one up, just expressing my opinion, which happens to differ from yours. It isn't personal at all. Also, BTW, I'm sorry, but I don't have a clue what "SMH" is. May all your cruises be great ones, Coop! :)

Never said SJ would be closed for a year. I said let's look back in 60 days and SJ will most likely be open. Toodles;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Pretty irresponsible to make comments like yours. St Maarten, Dominica, SAN Juan, St Thomas, St Croix have never been hit by hurricanes before like this. There countries and people are dealing with things they never imagined. It's much more than the port that is needed to cruise there. You must consider the safety of the passengers. There will be many that will want to go to places farther away from the port. At times like this it will not be safe as there will be people who try to take advantage of tourists as they have valuables. Please sit down and think this thru realistically as it may be months and years before cruise ships return to some of these ports. It sounds easy to say when the port opens we can cruise again but in reality is it isn't.

Promised I would check back in a couple months! All the major ports are open other than St. M as far as I know, and they are hoping less than a month there. Happy cruising.