Question about Cancellations.....

Chewmonkey

Is anyone familiar with the more intricate parts of the NCL cancellation policy? In short, the sail date is less than 40 days, so I understand there is a 25% fee if I cancel.....but at what point does NCL policy become more flexible?

My parents are booked on the 10/31 11 day Gem out of NYC. Every port on the itinerary is now inaccessible, and NCL hasn't announced a revised itinerary. Their concern is that either they'll end up sailing to Canada, or the sailing will be extended to allow for a Western itinerary, or shortened for a Bermuda/Nassau/GS Cay/Port Canaveral type sailing.

If the itinerary is changed dramatically (like to Canada) or lengthened/shortened, might NCL allow passengers to rebook to a later sail date?

No one knows yet what they will do. This is pretty much the first time all the islands have been hit so they have a lot to deal with. One any other day if they are within 30 days of sailing and they cancelled they would lose everything. This however is so different so NCL may do something totally different.

At this point, everyone is just going to have to sit back and wait for the 2 weeks that NCL says it will be and see what happens.

Is anyone familiar with the more intricate parts of the NCL cancellation policy? In short, the sail date is less than 40 days, so I understand there is a 25% fee if I cancel.....but at what point does NCL policy become more flexible?

My parents are booked on the 10/31 11 day Gem out of NYC. Every port on the itinerary is now inaccessible, and NCL hasn't announced a revised itinerary. Their concern is that either they'll end up sailing to Canada, or the sailing will be extended to allow for a Western itinerary, or shortened for a Bermuda/Nassau/GS Cay/Port Canaveral type sailing.

If the itinerary is changed dramatically (like to Canada) or lengthened/shortened, might NCL allow passengers to rebook to a later sail date?

We are on sailing on Nov 11th from NYC on the GEM. There is no way they will re-route this cruise to Canada. Especially at this time of the year.

Norwegian has changed some of the more recent itineraries from eastern to western and I haven't heard that they allowed anyone to cancel or change cruises without penalties.

Barring a hurricane forming during their trip I think that shortening their cruise is incredibly unlikely. Even if they have to simply add sea days to keep the length, they would cause completely havoc on everyone's vacation plans/flights if the length changes. And They wouldn't certainly have to offer compensation if that was the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is there any experience on what they will do if the departure port is not operable? The reports from Puerto Rico do not look good. Starting in November, the Dawn will be departing from San Juan. I imagine that most people have reservations to fly into San Juan along with hotel reservations before and after the cruise. What happens if they can't use that port? I imagine that they will move it to another departure port but that will cause problems with the other reservations.

Everything cruise line wise is a mess for cruise lines and cruisers. Puerto Rico not so good? They wont have electricity for 4-6 months, infrastructure destroyed. Doubt if you will see a ship in PR for a year. Remember all the items to rebuild need to be brought in by ship or air..

I sure hope cruise lines are sympathetic to cruisers and lighten up on the rules. But I doubt it...they are in it to make money..but also would not want unhappy cruisers..

We decided not to book until next year based on this disaster...