Cancelling cruise

abby1257

Not canceling. Scheduled for a southern Caribbean in mid October which <knock wood> has been unscathed. Grand Turk sounds like it may be iffy but I like sea days so an extra one won't matter. Basically as long as the ship goes somewhere for 8 days, I'm good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If your cruise is cancelled totally by Carnival, they will issue a refund. If you cancel now before they list what they are gonna do for your specific cruise, you probably wont get anything and I dont see any travel insurance policy covering you. I would wait until they tell you what they are gonna do. Right now, they are offering a cruise credit for altered itineraries or pro rated refunds in the form of OBC for shortened cruises. Notice is being given about three days before the cruise.

Unfortunately this is not the case. I tried to cancel a cruise today for a cruise that was going to KW and Cuba and was told that it would be 100% forfeit of funds. Tried the 24hr of itinerary change argument and no help, good thing we have insurance.

Golly, I hate to break a perfect string of 28 people going regardless of anything.

But the two storms completely destroyed all but one of the six ports of call I was scheduled for.

Not just a little, but a lot. Those which remain open are likely going to be mobbed by die-hards tendering into places they have possibly been multiple times before.

And I just don't see how dropping my tourist collars on Grand Cayman is going to do much of anything to help Dominica.

I DO feel terribly for residents of the devastated islands, most of which I have visited and have fond memories of.

Frankly I feel some sympathy for the cruise lines too, with all their printed brochures and web pages full of goods they can't deliver.

Unfortunately this is not the case. I tried to cancel a cruise today for a cruise that was going to KW and Cuba and was told that it would be 100% forfeit of funds. Tried the 24hr of itinerary change argument and no help, good thing we have insurance.

I cancelled my Dec.3 southern cruise from San Juan and rebooked for May of 2018 it took all of 5 min. with my PVP it cost me $50 but i'm ok with it

I am also breaking the string. A lot of the replies are from people who have a cruises coming up soon and would lose most of the money they paid for the cruise.

If I was past final payment I wouldn't cancel. But those that haven't made final payment but will be cruising in 3 months might have a different opinion. My cruise isn't until November next year but I know those islands won't be the same. I mean from the pictures of St Maarten, St Thomas, Tortola, and San Juan it will take a while before they get things repaired. And the natural beauty will take even longer. And that is half of our itinerary. We are considering cancelling and waiting another year before going.

Also we have another hurricane season to go through next year. None of these islands can afford to take another hit from a hurricane and I am not talking about category 4 or 5. Most will have problems with even a category 1 or tropical storm. Ours is a 14 day cruise and costs a bit more than a 7 day. I don't cruise just to cruise but I understand that some do. I also cruise for the ports and am waiting to see how things are going. We don't drink or gamble so that has no appeal. We have time to make a decision but we are looking into a Plan B if needed.

Edited by luv2trvlnow

My sister and I are suppose to sail out of San Juan 12/3/17 on the Fascination just not sure what we should do probably wait a few weeks see how things are going. We have travel insurance for our cruise and airfare. We booked our hotel stay before and after cruise at the Hyatt House hotel the one across the street from where the Weather Channel Paul Goodloe is at. We did that through Booking.com with free cancellation. I feel so bad for the people of the islands.

Heck no! We're cruising the Western this year (36 days away) and none of our ports were affected but we wouldn't be cancelling even if they were.

Sea days are just as good as port days, they just cost less! :D I've been on enough cruises now that I sail for the ship first and the ports second. That way if what just happened with the weather happens, I'm not disappointed either way. I'm still going to eat, I'm still going to drink, I'm still going to gamble, I'm still going to read on the balcony, I'm still going to hear all kinds of music, I'm still going to have a pool a few steps from my bedroom - I can do NONE of those things sitting at home!

AND I've thought about this a lot. The weather has done a triple whammy on CCL financially. I mean, think about it. Revenue lost from all directions. Cruises that went ahead and sailed a third full and no revenue from the non-existent people on the ship. They aren't selling drinks, they aren't selling bingo cards, they aren't selling much of anything. Cruises that were just cancelled. Cruises where they put patrons up for almost as long as an extra week with no additional revenue coming in. Ports that are now closed indefinitely.

I'm sure that there is insurance that covers part of that but what happens when you have to use your insurance? Your rates go up, right. And who will foot that bill in the end? Yes, us. And each of you that cancel and each cabin that goes unsold, is costing us in the future. So for that very reason I'd encourage everyone to keep cruising because if we don't - we will pay for it later.

Just my two cents!

Golly, I hate to break a perfect string of 28 people going regardless of anything.

But the two storms completely destroyed all but one of the six ports of call I was scheduled for.

Not just a little, but a lot. Those which remain open are likely going to be mobbed by die-hards tendering into places they have possibly been multiple times before.

And I just don't see how dropping my tourist collars on Grand Cayman is going to do much of anything to help Dominica.

I DO feel terribly for residents of the devastated islands, most of which I have visited and have fond memories of.

Frankly I feel some sympathy for the cruise lines too, with all their printed brochures and web pages full of goods they can't deliver.

I agree with You! I am going to cancel if they change ports.

I signed up for Carnival Alerts and just got this text. It's for the September 24, 2017 sailing.

*Me and my sister are booked for the December 3, 2027 sailing.

Carnival Fascination September 24, 2017 -

As a result of damage to our cruise terminal and the uncertainty of when the Port of San Juan will reopen, we have no alternative but to cancel your cruise. A full refund will be automatically processed. An email with more information will follow. For more details, please visit http://www.carnival.com/travel-alerts

I can certainly understand folks wanting to cancel if their itinerary included many of the devastated ports. Some people cruise for the ports while others could care less where the ship is going....as long as its going! For me...I would likely be disappointed about missing a port I was excited about but I doubt I would cancel. I really can't imagine a more stress free vacation than cruising. No worries about where you are going to eat or what you are going to do just relaxing and having everything done for you is pretty amazing. We are scheduled to cruise in 2 weeks out of Long Beach on the Miracle and while the threat of a major storm is unlikley it is still possible as Cabo has been walloped recently by a Hurricane. So if our itinerary gets changed so be it, we will have a great time either way. Wishing everyone a great cruise no matter when or where you are going!! Cheers!

HURRICANE MARIA

ITINERARY UPDATES 9/22/2017 – 3:30:00 PM (EDT)

Carnival Fascination – San Juan

The Port of San Juan is currently closed. Fascination guests currently on board enjoyed a day in Antigua today and are now on their way to San Juan. Our intention is to be in position to dock this weekend, in the event the port re-opens, in order to give guests an opportunity to debark, if they wish to do so. Alternatively, guests may also remain on board as the ship repositions to Miami, where it will arrive on Tuesday afternoon and stay until Wednesday. Our airline partners are committed to working with our guests to waive any change fees associated with rescheduling flights.

Port officials have informed us that our terminal in San Juan has sustained extensive damage as a result of Hurricane Maria. The assessment is still in progress but it now appears that it will take several weeks to make the necessary repairs. Unfortunately, this means the following San Juan and Barbados sailings will have to be cancelled:

San Juan departures

September 24

October 1

October 8

Barbados departures

September 27

October 4

October 11

For all canceled cruises, a full refund will be automatically processed, including Fly2Fun reservations, pre-purchased Carnival Adventures, Fun Shop purchases and beverage packages. The refund will be processed to your original form of payment.

Given the circumstances, we are working with our airline partners to assist those guests with independent air travel regarding the waiver of change fees.

Additional information will be provided to our guests in an email later today.

Thought if another reason to not cancel...maybe there will be another hurricane and we'll get a couple free days if a cruise. 😂

HELL NO!! A lot of people including myself suffer a lot. With the heat no power for more than a week and now that the power is back we have to deal with insurance to repair the house. But we are grateful we are alive and have insurance.

My heart goes to all the people in the Islands suffering right now.

I have a cruise for late Oct but I am thinking of cancelling.