Veendam - worth sailing old ship for great itinerary?

btobey

I am so glad someone brought up this subject. We're going on the 49 day October 20th sailing on Veendam and I was a little concerned after reading other comments. This is only our second HA cruise. First was on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

We're used to the mega ships so this will feel more like it used to be in the good old days. Can't wait.

I am so glad someone brought up this subject. We're going on the 49 day October 20th sailing on Veendam and I was a little concerned after reading other comments. This is only our second HA cruise. First was on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

We're used to the mega ships so this will feel more like it used to be in the good old days. Can't wait.

This cruise should be great. We went with the Maasdam Atlantic Adventure 3 years ago and loved it. Sister ship, different ports of call sometimes, not worried at all about the ship.

This past June we did the Veendam from Boston to Bermuda. There is much to do and see in Bermuda, so the days go by quickly. You really get the opportunity to do far more than the usual one day in a port. What's nice about docking in downtown Hamilton is you have the opportunity to have dinner on shore, or go for an after dinner walk along Front St. Every Wednesday evening in the summer there is a street festival on Front St., so just get off the ship and you are right in the middle of it. It was our first time in Bermuda, and by having the few days there we came away feeling we had really got a good overview of the island. You will not be bored.

The Veendam is an older ship, no doubt about it, but has a lot of good features as well.

Enjoy your cruise.

Also doing the 49-night Atlantic Adventurer! Have many, many nights on Maasdam, none on Veendam but we are accepting of her shortcomings, we wanted the itinerary! We like a daily soak in the hot tub so maybe this ship is for us!

I do recall on Maasdam, the show lounge balcony seating was very uncomfortable for my back but I found many comfortable places in the lower level show lounge seating which is more couch style than theater seats. Very excited about our upcoming cruise! m--

My husband and I last cruised in 2008 for our 5th anniversary, when we took a Panama Canal cruise on HAL's Amsterdam. We are considering another HAL cruise for our 15th anniversary next year.

We love the itinerary of the New England/Bermuda cruise on Veendam, and the dates work for when we want to travel. Unfortunately, however, this cruise has gotten a lot of negative reviews, mainly due to the poor condition of the Veendam.

Has anyone been on this itinerary? What are your thoughts? We don't need world class food or entertainment, but we don't want problems, either.

Veendam is still my fave of the 3 HAL ships I've sailed. Perfect size, great crew, and currently the best itinerary for Bermuda.

Loved my trip to Bermuda on the Veendam. Excellent crew and ship is small enough to get right into downtown Hamilton close to the bus station and ferry terminal. (Didn't do the New England/Canada portion as I would have ended up "home"). I'd go again on her no problem.

Shih-tzu, my dear, it is nice to see you on here! Hope all is well! I see you are on the Zuiderdam soon. Make sure to be on the look-out for Jacob in the Seaview Bar when you are out there.having a cig. He was the sweetest barman I've met on any ship!

Shih-tzu, my dear, it is nice to see you on here! Hope all is well! I see you are on the Zuiderdam soon. Make sure to be on the look-out for Jacob in the Seaview Bar when you are out there.having a cig. He was the sweetest barman I've met on any ship!

Hey Bostonjetset...how are you! I was thinking about you and your mom the other night and hoping maybe you might be on the cruise I'm on (this trip is with my son who has never cruised before). I'll look for Jacob. You should look into the 5-15 Nov sailing..,there has been quite a price drop since I booked. And I agree that the time in Bermuda is not too long....and the Veendam was wonderful. Hoping I like Zuiderdam as much. Say hi to Barb for me!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a cruise on the Veendam booked and deposit is due in a few days, I booked cabin 223, (corner aft) has anyone been in this cabin, was there any noise from the stairway door?

I have read that the balcony wraps a bit, is that still true or has it been modified?

Any pros or cons you can share would be appreciated,

we always book aft facing cabins so are aware of the vibrations.

We had 323 above it for the Voyage of the Vikings and loved it! We were usually the only ones that went out those stairway doors to take photos on the side of the ship. Yes it wraps a bit. I put photos on HAL facts .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had 323 above it for the Voyage of the Vikings and loved it! We were usually the only ones that went out those stairway doors to take photos on the side of the ship. Yes it wraps a bit. I put photos on HAL facts .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you so much for your reply.

On the deck plan I have the cabin above it is B095, is that the one you were in, maybe the numbers have changed:eek:

Good to know the stairs aren't used much, we always take stairs so will be nice for us. Thanks again.

We have been on the Veendam twice, and realizing that it is an older ship, we had no issues. We were very impressed with the staff and service. If you want a huge ship with buzzers and whistles, go on RCCL, but that isn't our style. We are interested in unusual itineraries, FOOD, and comfort. The Veendam suits us perfectly. Do wish they had a more comfortable movie venue, but we can see movies at home.