Response from HAL to "constructive criticism" on comment cards?

sailsalot

I know for sure our comments have been read and on a cruise here to there when we had something negative to say, it has been addressed with us. I also know those negative comments reached Seattle office. Of course, for us.......... we have a huge majority of "9's" on our comment cards or we would not continue to sail HAL 3 and 4 or more times a year. No one who isn't pleased continues to purchase the same product.

I also know for sure, all those comment sheets are read within a day or two at the latest by Hotel Manager, CD, GRM and and and......... If they see a trend, they know something is exceedingly good or needs improvements.

As a formet HAL employee, I can tell you with 100% accuracy that the staff onboard reads the comment cards. That's where the problem lies as the staff can very easily "misplace" those negative comments cards and it happens often!

A few other lines (someone mentioned Celebrity and RCCL) have shoreside staff who board the ship on the morning of turn around day and gather all the cards from the locked boxes. They then review them and send a review to the ships management for follow up.

If you have a negative experience on HAL and want to make sure it heard in the Seattle office, then by all means, please communicate directly with the HQ office.. otherwise you can pretty much expect your comment card will be one of those "misplaced".

Another side note.. during a meeting with HAL's Guest Relations Dept. we were told that they do everything and anything possible to avoid giving compensation.. so if you're expecting anything in return for your bad experience, you're more than likely going to be disappointed.

I think I once heard of someone changing a guest's comment card and they were fired for doing so.

Don't get caught!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The GRM's are bright, well trained, common sense people. I give them the credit to know when a complaint is legitimate and the 'complainants' being reasonable and courteous. It is my impression they weigh each issue on its merits and the legitmacy of the problem presented........ I do not think a blanket statement they will avoid giving tokens of apology is accurate.

I'm actually wondering outloud how HAL handles the comment cards. On Celebrity they apparently, at least according to the staff, empty the comment card box directly into a cardboard box that is sealed right on the spot and mailed (shipped?) to Celebrity headquarters. Supposedly nobody on the ship reviews them. Part of me finds that a bit hard to believe/accept as it would seem that some comments warrant immediate action, be it praise or correction of behavior, and shipping the cards off to the headquarters without shipboard review would delay that process to the point of being useless. I know when we were on the Oosterdam we got exceptional service from the Crow's Nest staff and mentioned a number of them by name. It just happened that the last night on the ship the head of the department stopped by and chatted with us about our cruise and the service. We mentioned we'd singled out folks by name for praise and he said that would be very well received as they keep track of comments by person and it has a bearing on pay and promotions. That would seem to indicate to me that there is ship review before the comments are sent to HAL. I will say we also made some negative comments on our Oosterdam cruise and, though we didn't expect any answer, never heard another thing about it.

From my experience, I'd say Celebrity's headquarters then sends the box to the dumpster. I had a serious complaint on my one cruise with them and took it all the way to Hanrahan. I got a call from an underling but no satisfactory response. (An apology and a token credit would have placated me.) Total stonewalling and refusal to take responsibility was their response, even when a BBB complaint was filed. I can say from experience that NCL takes theirs very seriously. I always receive an immediate response onboard from whoever is responsible and have never had to take a complaint forward. HAL: Never had anything to complain about!!!

Sometimes people just want someone to listen to them, understand what they are saying and acknowledge the event could have happened. Not everyone is seeking money, money, money....... though most are, it seems. :(

Generating a good rating (9), starts (or should start) on day 1, not in the last day or 2 when it's "requested" by the steward, CD, etc. I'm always tempted to say that from the beginning, but haven't figured out a pleasant way to say so - something like, "I know at the end of the cruise we're given ratings cards and I really want to give you top marks, which I hope you'll make possible." There just sounds to be a bit of a threat in there. Fortunately, I've had few complaints and many good comments to make, and when there have been problems, I sought to resolve them immediately rather than live with it for the entire cruise.

Here's a way.

When you first meet your room steward, or any other crew member that you expect will be providing service to you throughout- Ask them if they will be with you for the whole week. Then introduce yourself and repeat their name, and mention you want to get the spelling of their name right when you fill out your comment card. If it's the room steward, ask him what his assistants name is also.

When I did this last time, my steward went and got his assistant and they were both very happy to be engaged politely. I got great service throughout the cruise. And my laundry took half the time to get back to me. We had two adult daughters with us in the cabin across the hall, and one is mildly disabled. Our steward came early on the last full day and gave her a nice long private lesson on how to make the towel animals.

It's an implication from the beginning that you are starting them off with good marks, and they know that you are paying attention.

Sometimes people just want someone to listen to them, understand what they are saying and acknowledge the event could have happened. Not everyone is seeking money, money, money....... though most are, it seems. :(

Sadly, word has got around that cruise lines give money to placate unhappy pax. Some people look for reasons to gripe so that they can get an OBC for their next cruise. Now, if they really were THAT unhappy, would they want a next cruise with that line?????

It's a shame that people do this because it dilutes the attention given to pax who have legitimate problems. The cruise lines know who the chronic complainers are. My TA told me she has clients who cruise a lot and spend a lot and ALWAYS complain. A contact at the cruise line called my TA and asked what was up with these people. My TA said, "As long as you give a generous OBC, they'll keep finding fault. Don't give them so much and they'll shut up." And they did.

If they have so many complaints, why keep returning?

Go find someplace else to not like and complaint there!

Agree, but there are people on this very board that do complain to get free things and they tell others that they do it. That's just too much IMO.

so true S7S and the words "I'm sorry you had that experience" goes along way.

Archived