No refund 2 weeks post cancelled Irma cruise

Razor_Poke

Turn it around. What did you not get that was explicitly promised?

Rather than go over the same material again, please go back and read my previous posts explaining what I agreed to with Carnival, what they agreed to provide for a specific sum of money and what I actually ended up with.

It is remarkable the extent to which some people will go to rationalize their own inability to handle a perspective they do not like. Folks who are blindly consumerist and rabidly anti business seen to have the most difficulty keeping discussions civil, resorting, as we saw above, to personal attacks when their efforts to browbeat away comments they disagree with fail. We are raising a generation that exudes unfounded entitlement, and what's worse that excessive self motivation works against the very things that would mitigate some of the concerns, such as more passenger friendly regulations. Today it seems many wish rules to apply only to others, not themselves, and so they want the consumer favored when they are the consumer but not when they are in the other side of the transaction, earning a living to support their family.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Some people are mature adults who make sure they understand agreements they enter into, and recognize that if they get a lower price on something because of the possibility of a contingency, every now and the the contingency will manifest and the resulting inconveniences are why the price was lower.

Others are children who want what they want when they want it, and they better not see someone else get a better deal than they did.

Readers are free to decide who is which.

I have re-read this thread a few times trying to make heads or tails of exactly what it is that Carnival has failed to do. It is important to me to understand the company's I choose to do business with and like to hear both sides of the situation to make informed decisions myself.

From what I can tell this is what I am summing up, correct me if I am wrong.

First, the OP is unhappy because after two weeks they have not received a full refund. To this I feel they should cut the company a little slack due to the unprecedented upheaval they have had to deal with. I think a little patients will go a long way. I understand wanting money back as it is your money, and I would be antsy too... but I think they deserve some slack under the circumstances.

Second issue that has come up is that they were not treated exactly as the cruise passengers after them and were not given the same choices. If I understand correctly, you were there and on the ship and informed of an itinerary change. While the cruise after yours was given the option to cancel or 25% credit toward a future cruise. You feel this is not fair as you were not treated exactly the same. You had asked what is the difference and why you should be treated differently. To this I had replied, timing.

They had to make a call and made it at the time your sailing was already there and boarded, so they proceeded with the cruise under a different itinerary. Itinerary changes can happen at anytime and do often due to weather issues. While frustrating, it IS part of the cruise experience and I am not sure why you would be upset over something that is a fact of the vacation called cruising.

Now, you not being given the option of cancelling or going and the 25%, and why that isn't "fair." Again, I say TIMING. Carnival made a call and decided to try to mitigate their damages so they offered the next cruise an incentive to not cancel but stay as planned and have 25% toward their next cruise. This is not "unfair," but is good business. They want that ship full of people to stay booked, and are willing to throw them a little something to do so. Each circumstance is different, and they have to handle each situation differently. Carnival is a business, and while they have to think of their customers, they also have to make good business decisions if they want to stay in business.

I am not a Carnival cheerleader and would call them out in a heartbeat on something the did that was wrong or unjust, but in this case what I see is sour grapes. They made a business call, and incentivized people to stay on their originally booked cruise under a difficult circumstance - not last minute like you, but in the future. That is the difference. They have every right to try to mitigate their damages as well.

I have re-read this thread a few times trying to make heads or tails of exactly what it is that Carnival has failed to do. It is important to me to understand the company's I choose to do business with and like to hear both sides of the situation to make informed decisions myself.

From what I can tell this is what I am summing up, correct me if I am wrong.

First, the OP is unhappy because after two weeks they have not received a full refund. To this I feel they should cut the company a little slack due to the unprecedented upheaval they have had to deal with. I think a little patients will go a long way. I understand wanting money back as it is your money, and I would be antsy too... but I think they deserve some slack under the circumstances.

Second issue that has come up is that they were not treated exactly as the cruise passengers after them and were not given the same choices. If I understand correctly, you were there and on the ship and informed of an itinerary change. While the cruise after yours was given the option to cancel or 25% credit toward a future cruise. You feel this is not fair as you were not treated exactly the same. You had asked what is the difference and why you should be treated differently. To this I had replied, timing.

They had to make a call and made it at the time your sailing was already there and boarded, so they proceeded with the cruise under a different itinerary. Itinerary changes can happen at anytime and do often due to weather issues. While frustrating, it IS part of the cruise experience and I am not sure why you would be upset over something that is a fact of the vacation called cruising.

Now, you not being given the option of cancelling or going and the 25%, and why that isn't "fair." Again, I say TIMING. Carnival made a call and decided to try to mitigate their damages so they offered the next cruise an incentive to not cancel but stay as planned and have 25% toward their next cruise. This is not "unfair," but is good business. They want that ship full of people to stay booked, and are willing to throw them a little something to do so. Each circumstance is different, and they have to handle each situation differently. Carnival is a business, and while they have to think of their customers, they also have to make good business decisions if they want to stay in business.

I am not a Carnival cheerleader and would call them out in a heartbeat on something the did that was wrong or unjust, but in this case what I see is sour grapes. They made a business call, and incentivized people to stay on their originally booked cruise under a difficult circumstance - not last minute like you, but in the future. That is the difference. They have every right to try to mitigate their damages as well.

Thank you for a well thought out response. Though I may disagree on certain point it was pleasant reading your take on the situation.

Update from OP:

Still waiting. Today was 3 weeks from the date of the cancelled cruise, which had been moved back one day due to Irma but ultimately cancelled. I did call Carnival late last week and they told me my refund was "processed" and had gone back to our TA. I guess the TA has some role in the transaction. Carnival rep did tell me that I'd see my credit no later than October 7th.

Update from OP: Still waiting. Today was 3 weeks from the date of the cancelled cruise, which had been moved back one day due to Irma but ultimately cancelled. I did call Carnival late last week and they told me my refund was "processed" and had gone back to our TA. I guess the TA has some role in the transaction. Carnival rep did tell me that I'd see my credit no later than October 7th.

I'm not sure how Carnival can tell you anything about how timely and responsive your TA would be. They can surely to you that *they* will issue the refund within three weeks, but how long it takes your TA to get the refund to you is on your TA.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Update from OP:

Still waiting. Today was 3 weeks from the date of the cancelled cruise, which had been moved back one day due to Irma but ultimately cancelled. I did call Carnival late last week and they told me my refund was "processed" and had gone back to our TA. I guess the TA has some role in the transaction. Carnival rep did tell me that I'd see my credit no later than October 7th.

Thank you for posting current status of your refund. It's nice when the OP takes the time to post updates.

I’ve waited 4 weeks for a refund. Is this long enough and if so who do I start calling???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dispute it with the credit card company. Even if you paid it off you have like a year. They hate that, and will get their attention.

I've emailed my TA. Kind of strange that they have to be involved because the charge is clearly to Carnival with no reference to the TA's name.
FWIR, some TAs charge for the service of refunding your money. Does anyone know how much of their commission they get to keep if the cruise line refunds the cruise?

Even if you paid it off you have like a year.
This depends on the credit card issuer. The federal regulation only requires that they accept disputed charges, "within 60 days after the first bill with the error was mailed to you".

Sigh, does ANYONE not read the contract they electronically sign? They dont have to do anything. They dont have to give you choices. They dont have to give you a refund. Itinerary changes happen, especially in peak hurricane season, and it tells you right there on the contact you signed saying you read it. The reason you got nothing is because the full cruise still went on in its entirety didnt it? 8 days before the hurricane even hit FL! The next cruises were either cancelled or shortened. Thats why they were given options.

EXACTLY!! I just don't understand some people! Read what you are agreeing to, especially if you're going to book a cruise during peak hurricane season! We are leaving tomorrow from Miami headed for Key West and Cozumel. There's a tropical storm brewing as we speak. Am I worried about an itinerary change or port cancellation? Nope. I'll show up tomorrow, get on the ship, and have a good time, even if we just spend every day at sea. Because I have read my contract, have realistic expectations and I know that sometimes changes have to happen to keep guests and crew safe at sea. It really isn't that difficult.

EXACTLY!! I just don't understand some people! Read what you are agreeing to, especially if you're going to book a cruise during peak hurricane season! We are leaving tomorrow from Miami headed for Key West and Cozumel. There's a tropical storm brewing as we speak. Am I worried about an itinerary change or port cancellation? Nope. I'll show up tomorrow, get on the ship, and have a good time, even if we just spend every day at sea. Because I have read my contract, have realistic expectations and I know that sometimes changes have to happen to keep guests and crew safe at sea. It really isn't that difficult.

Boy, talk about showing up to the party late!! You are rehashing what has been hashed, rehashed and rehashed again.

And yet, here you are responding.

I'll be sure to read and give my opinion on every post in a timely manner from here on out.

Oh my friend Angie, please don't feel bad for not keeping up. I'll try to go a little slower from now on. :D :D