No refund 2 weeks post cancelled Irma cruise

Razor_Poke

What I find inconsistent is that I had to cancel a cruise last Friday. I wasn't going to sail until late next year. I got the cancellation letter saying it would take 10-14 business days for the refund to appear on my credit card. The credit appeared yesterday, 2 days after I cancelled. I'm not complaining but shouldn't those people whose cruises were cancelled get their refunds before I did?

Carnival should be ashamed ! they are making a huge profit from the southern islands disaster ! we are now paying the same 1500.00 for 2 of us to go to a 300.00 OR LESS cruise to western islands that we intentionally didnt book. When we called to reschedule or get refunded their answer was. "GO, OR DONT GO"

of course we feel horrible about the loss and devistation in the south islamds but Carnival should NOT be charging the same for what they changed the itinerary to.

FURIOUS IN FL.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

I have the same problem, I am going on a 6 days cruise for what I paid for the 8 days cruise. But that was what I get for the days I had available. And I rather take a 6 days, than nothing and have to wait till next year.

I have the same problem, I am going on a 6 days cruise for what I paid for the 8 days cruise. But that was what I get for the days I had available. And I rather take a 6 days, than nothing and have to wait till next year.

that sucks but at the same time glad im not the only one not afraid to speak the truth here. carnival is not at all taking care of passengers just their own pockets.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Not different circumstances
Yes different circumstances. You appear to be assuming/accusing the cruise line of deliberately delaying a decision for one cruise and not delaying that same decision for another cruise, and that all the conditions that led into both decisions were exactly the same for the two cruises at every point prior to both cruises, rather than recognizing that they have no reason to do things differently except that the circumstances, timing and conditions, were different, and that those differences relative to each of the separate cruises are the actual cause for differences you're complaining about. Do you really think they have you, personally, on some black list?

Like I already said, it looks like we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Sigh, does ANYONE not read the contract they electronically sign?
I'm sure that there are a number of people who don't, but what's worse is that there are a number of people who refuse to acknowledge that they chose to go forward without asking the obvious questions the answers to which provide the understanding about what they're buying, and effectively did not afford themselves the due diligence that they need and deserve. I have had opportunities in my professional career to audit dozens of companies' handling of customer issues, and it was remarkable to me just how much fabrication and rationalization comes in through the customer satisfaction escalation process. And it should be noted that most of the best companies knowingly let customers get away with making stuff up and offer them some compensation even though it is very clear from the facts that the customer is just pandering for more than any conception of what they are owed. When a company doesn't do that, it is almost always a matter that the customer is demanding far beyond any reasonable boundary of what they're owed. Edited by bUU

Well, since you can't or won't tell me, apparently that western cruise for 2 at $300 doesn't exist, and probably never did. I would have loved to jump on that trip since our western for next December is around $1700, about the same as this Decembers Fascination southern cruise, and that's going from an OV to a balcony. Not afraid to speak the truth? Maybe not so much so, seems your comparison might be a tad bit exaggerated.

Yes different circumstances. You appear to be assuming/accusing the cruise line of deliberately delaying a decision for one cruise and not delaying that same decision for another cruise, and that all the conditions that led into such decision were the same for the two cruises at every point prior to both cruises, rather than recognizing that they have no reason to do so, and that the different circumstances are the cause for them making the changes at different times. Do you really think they have you, personally, on some black list?

Like I already said, it looks like we're going to have to agree to disagree.

I'm sure that there are a number of people who don't, but what's worse is that there are a number of people who refuse to acknowledge that they chose to go forward without asking the obvious questions the answers to which provide the understanding about what they're buying, and effectively did not afford themselves the due diligence that they need and deserve.

Yes we can most certainly agree to disagree and still remain friends :D We did not choose to go forward, we had no choice. I understand that we bought a "Caribbean Cruise" (we had done this cruise the previous 4 years, same time frame); what we got was a trip to South Carolina. As the Supervisor told me, they are documenting all the complaints that were coming in from the Sep 3d passengers and who knows, maybe, just maybe Carnival will reconsider.

Delta is based here in Atlanta. Carnival is based in Miami. The hurricane affected southern Florida far more than northern Georgia.

I'm sorry that you've been upset by the consequences of the recent hurricanes and are disappointed with the arrangements offered to you in response.

You'll have to prove that claim. Given how many cruises they have canceled and how many passenger-days they've given away for free to passengers whose cruises were extended by the storm, there is no reason to believe that your inflammatory contention has any basis in fact.

Having said that, if overall the company is not structured to make a bigger profit than could be made from investing in the stock market, then why the heck would any of its owners invest in the company? Every dollar invested competes with every other way that dollar could be invested. Failing to structure the offerings in such a manner that they remain highly profitable even in the context of the set of hurricanes that are reasonably expected to occur each year, would be a breach of their fiduciary obligations.

The cruise lines aren't doing anything less than what they made clear they would do in such circumstances when they first offered these cruises for purchase.

The risk passengers booking cruises this time of year is well-known and factored into the terms and conditions and the (much lower) pricing. Again, I'm sorry that you've been upset by the consequences of the recent hurricanes and are disappointed with the arrangements offered to you in response, but it is the storms that are to blame: The cruise lines are doing exactly what they said they'd do (and more!) before the cruises were booked.

Do you work for CCL? Are you their 'label ambassador'? Your supercilious contentious comments are really condescending. I don't think many on these boards do not understand the 'small print' nor are lessening or forgetting about the devestation caused by these horrific hurricanes....HOWEVER, there are those that have planned for and paid for a much anticipated vacation....and they have a right to express their consternation and disagreement with how they are being treated...THEY NOT you!! They are not looking for you to apologize for CCL, how condescending, nor cheerlead as to how and why CCL is so very correct in their handling of all these situations!! You have a right to your opinion, but so do those who express their angst and are caught in the middle!

We did not choose to go forward, we had no choice.
You had "no choice" with regard to whether or not to book the cruise initially? Someone forced you to put down the initial deposit and prohibited you from asking about the terms and conditions of the sale, prohibited you from reading and understanding the terms and conditions, and prohibited you from making your own decision about whether to put down the initial deposit? Please elaborate.

Just a question: Given that you have a grievance now, have you yet taken the opportunity to read the contract that you agreed to, to see, at least, whether you are actually owed anything? Or is your position that the contract doesn't matter and all that matters is your own personal standards for the transaction and your unilateral determination of whether the cruise line is fulfilling its obligations?

Do you work for CCL?
No. My interest is in helping consumers avoid dissatisfaction. How about you? Are you in favor of avoiding dissatisfaction or opposed to it?

Your supercilious contentious comments are really condescending.
They're not. They are factual, and are keeping the facts of the matter straight, in the interest of helping future cruise consumers to avoid dissatisfaction.

You have a right to your opinion
Yes I do, despite all the other things that you have written. Your response sounds like you're trying to browbeat away perspectives that you don't like. How about we both stop trying to second guess each other's intent, and accept that we're both contributing precisely what we should be contributing.

Deal?

You had "no choice" with regard to whether or not to book the cruise initially? Someone forced you to put down the initial deposit and prohibited you from asking about the terms and conditions of the sale, prohibited you from reading and understanding the terms and conditions, and prohibited you from making your own decision about whether to put down the initial deposit? Please elaborate.

Just a question: Given that you have a grievance now, have you yet taken the opportunity to read the contract that you agreed to, to see, at least, whether you are actually owed anything? Or is your position that the contract doesn't matter and all that matters is your own personal standards for the transaction and your unilateral determination of whether the cruise line is fulfilling its obligations?

Please don't put words in my mouth: I never said I had no choice in whether or not to book this cruise now did I? I said, that once we were ONBOARD" we were told of the itinerary change, not hours before, not days before but we were onboard and it was at the end of muster, so, we had no choice to cancel and rebook where as, the following cruise passengers were given the choice to cancel and get a refund or rebook or, they could choose to continue with their cruise and receive a 25% future cruise credit. My whole point is that we, the Sep 3d cruise passengers, WERE NOT GIVEN ANY CHOICES. Already on the ship, I guess we could have gotten off, demanded out luggage be removed from the ship but just how far do you think that would have gotten us? I expect just one thing and that is to be treated no differently than any other passenger and in this case I was. I'm not mad about it, not fuming at the mouth but I am disappointed with Carnival.

No. My interest is in helping consumers avoid dissatisfaction. How about you? Are you in favor of avoiding dissatisfaction or opposed to it?

They're not. They are factual, and are keeping the facts of the matter straight, in the interest of helping future cruise consumers to avoid dissatisfaction.

Yes I do, despite all the other things that you have written. Your response sounds like you're trying to browbeat away perspectives that you don't like. How about we both stop trying to second guess each other's intent, and accept that we're both contributing precisely what we should be contributing.

Deal?

You say you are trying to keep the "facts of the matter straight" but indicated that I had implied something I did not. So, lets help the "future cruise consumers" but sticky to the "facts" and not implying something that is not correct.

Please don't put words in my mouth: I never said I had no choice in whether or not to book this cruise now did I?
Perhaps there has been some miscommunication. This is my comment to which you were presumably replying:

I'm sure that there are a number of people who don't, but what's worse is that there are a number of people who refuse to acknowledge that they
chose to go forward
without asking the obvious questions the answers to which provide the understanding
about what they're buying
, and effectively did not afford themselves the due diligence that they need and deserve.
You say you are trying to keep the "facts of the matter straight" but indicated that I had implied something I did not.
See above.

The point is that when you purchased your cruise, that's when you had the opportunity to decide whether these terms and conditions were acceptable. Nothing - nothing - will help cruise consumers avoid dissatisfaction better than promoting the understanding of what we're actually purchasing when we purchase our cruises.

We see the same thing on Flyertalk with regard to airline travel. Nothing avoids more dissatisfaction than a understanding of the Contract of Carriage for the airline. The vast majority of the most irate complaints are complaints about the service being offered and provided as it was described. A great example of that on Flyertalk is how often people complain about schedule changes and their impact on seat assignment, connection versus nonstop, and airline equipment. Actually, airline contracts afford air travelers even more reliable guarantees: For example, airlines cannot shift you to another "port of embarkation" without compensating you, yet cruise lines explicitly can.

Perhaps there has been some miscommunication. This is my comment to which you were presumably replying:See above.

The point is that when you purchased your cruise, that's when you had the opportunity to decide whether these terms and conditions were acceptable. Nothing - nothing - will help cruise consumers avoid dissatisfaction better than promoting the understanding of what we're actually purchasing when we purchase our cruises. We see the same thing on Flyertalk with regard to airline travel.

Please stop trying to change the subject to the "passenger agreement". Lets stick to the issue: Sep 3d passengers got no choices, Sep 10th passengers given several choices and compensation. Question: why were the Sep 3d passengers treated differently than the Sep 10th passengers? Even the 2 Carnival representatives agreed that they were and they could not explain why.

Please stop trying to change the subject to the "passenger agreement".
The terms and conditions are the subject of the comment to which you replied, which was a response to ryano about what he posted. The terms and conditions outline precisely what is owed in cases of irregularities just like this, and firmly classifies everything offered beyond that as generosity.

Lets stick to the issue: Sep 3d passengers got no choices, Sep 10th passengers given several choices and compensation.
You claimed that the two scenarios were the same. They were not. You agreed to disagree about. Again, we'll have to agree to disagree about it. I'm still intrigued by the idea that you think that they treated you poorly when they did more than they were obligated to, but it seems pointless to belabor the point. Edited by bUU

The terms and conditions are the subject of the comment to which you replied, which was a response to ryano about what he posted. The terms and conditions outline precisely what is owed in cases of irregularities just like this, and firmly classifies everything offered beyond that as generosity.

You claimed that the two scenarios were the same. They were not. You agreed to disagree about. Again, we'll have to agree to disagree about it. I'm still intrigued by the idea that you think that they treated you poorly when they did more than they were obligated to, but it seems pointless to belabor the point.

Just curious: what to you think they did for me?

From what you wrote, you got what you were explicitly promised in the terms and conditions, and passengers on the other cruise, due to the different circumstances, were granted accommodations that go above and beyond what the cruise line explicitly promised them.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

From what you wrote, you got what you were explicitly promised in the terms and conditions, and passengers on the other cruise, due to the different circumstances, were granted accommodations that go above and beyond what the cruise line explicitly promised them.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Please be specific: what did I get that was "explicitly promised"? And please be specific.

Please stop trying to change the subject to the "passenger agreement". Lets stick to the issue: Sep 3d passengers got no choices, Sep 10th passengers given several choices and compensation. Question: why were the Sep 3d passengers treated differently than the Sep 10th passengers? Even the 2 Carnival representatives agreed that they were and they could not explain why.

Not to start another disagreement, but the difference is 7 days. What I mean is that they have to make a decision on what they are going to do at some point in the scheme of things. Unfortunately, it seems the decision was made too close to your cruise to do anything differently. I am sure if a judgement call had been made days before your cruise it could have been handled differently as well.

As a person in charge of a large manufacturing plant, I can respect that sometime we have to wait as long as possible to see how things are going to play out and try to make the best decision we can. This means what I decide may effect my people working the very next day far differently that how it will effect production in a week.

I think you just encountered the bad end of timing.

Not to start another disagreement, but the difference is 7 days. What I mean is that they have to make a decision on what they are going to do at some point in the scheme of things. Unfortunately, it seems the decision was made too close to your cruise to do anything differently. I am sure if a judgement call had been made days before your cruise it could have been handled differently as well.

As a person in charge of a large manufacturing plant, I can respect that sometime we have to wait as long as possible to see how things are going to play out and try to make the best decision we can. This means what I decide may effect my people working the very next day far differently that how it will effect production in a week.

I think you just encountered the bad end of timing.

Agree that at some point a decision has to be made and sometime it has to be last minute. I don't have a problem with that; the change in itinerary is not the issue. I completely understand the reason for the change and applaud Carnival for being safe. Both representatives of Carnival began our conversations with explaining that the passengers from the Sep 10th cruise had been, in their words not mine, "inconvenienced". So I asked if they thought that the passengers on the Sep 3d cruise were also "inconvenienced" and they both agreed that they were. So if all agree that both groups were "inconvenienced", why did one group received compensation and the other groups did not? That's my issue.

You should receive any difference in port charges...if there is any. Have you asked Carnival about the port fees?

On Sunday night, after boarding, we did notice a change in the port fees which is something that happens all the times when it is determined before the cruise that the fees/charges had been changed. But again, port fees/charges is not the issue.

Agree that at some point a decision has to be made and sometime it has to be last minute. I don't have a problem with that; the change in itinerary is not the issue. I completely understand the reason for the change and applaud Carnival for being safe. Both representatives of Carnival began our conversations with explaining that the passengers from the Sep 10th cruise had been, in their words not mine, "inconvenienced". So I asked if they thought that the passengers on the Sep 3d cruise were also "inconvenienced" and they both agreed that they were. So if all agree that both groups were "inconvenienced", why did one group received compensation and the other groups did not? That's my issue.

Because you were “inconvenienced” differently.

Please be specific: what did I get that was "explicitly promised"? And please be specific.
I have already been as specific as necessary. Again we agreed to disagree. Nothing has changed.

But if you want to play that game, list explicitly what parts of the contract that you feel that they have violated. I'll even getting you started:

https://www.carnival.com/popups/bookingengine/Reservation-terms-and-Conditions.aspx

Because you were “inconvenienced” differently.

I hadn't thought about it that way; lets see: Sep 3d change in itinerary/Sep 10th change in itinerary; Sep 3d no notice of change/Sep 10th 4 days notice of change; Sep 3d no options to cancel/rebook/refund or cruise credit/Sep 10th allowed to cancel and get full refund or continue with cruise and new itinerary and get 25% cruise credit for future cruise.

Yep you may be right, "inconvenienced" exactly the same!!!

I have already been as specific as necessary. Again we agreed to disagree. Nothing has changed.

But if you want to play that game, list explicitly what parts of the contract that you feel that they have violated. I'll even getting you started:

https://www.carnival.com/popups/bookingengine/Reservation-terms-and-Conditions.aspx

As I suspected you are unable to be specific and can only repeat the same "passenger contract" statement. By not being able to answer the question, you have made my case and I do appreciate that effort.