Anthem vs Breakaway - December / Holidays

Hi all,

We've cruised all major cruise lines, but most of our recent cruises have been on Royal Caribbean. We've celebrated the holidays or new years aboard Royal Caribbean for the past 4 years.

We are contemplating changing things up this year and trying a cruise aboard the Breakaway. Last year for the holidays, we cruised on the Anthem of the Seas, and it was our favorite cruise to date.

I know NCL has freestyle dining and cruising, but what can we expect aboard the Breakaway? Has anyone been on both the Anthem of the Seas and NCL Breakaway for the holidays for comparison purposes?

NCL seems to have the dueling piano bar, second city comedy and Rock of Ages. How is the live music? Is there anything for the 18+ crowd (young adults / early 20's) to do? RCL has a nightly gathering for this age group and then they usually met up at the nightclub.

A few other questions:

-Does NCL do anything special during a Christmas sailing?

-What is there to do for the first and last day and a half? The Anthem of the Seas had an indoor pool and 270 lounge. What kind of activities does NCL offer for the beginning and end of the trip?

-The itinerary is awful (GSC, Nassau and Orlando). We'd probably only get off at the private island and Nassau and would be cruising for the convenience and for a nice family trip. How has the weather been at these islands during this time of year? Does the ship more often than not miss Great Stirip Cay in the winter?

-Is there any fly on entertainment (special shows / comedy / vantriloquist / anything else besides the broadway-style shows)?

-How is the food in the included dining venues?

-What kind of crowd should we expect (families)? Heavy New York / New Jersey crowd similar to the Anthem of the Seas?

Thank you very much.

I can't speak about the holiday happenings but I've done two Anthem and one Breakaway cruise in the past year. To me Breakaway is a warm weather ship. It definitely felt more crowded than Anthem because of the lack of open space inside and out. With the Seaplex and indoor pool there is more to do in bad weather on Anthem. I did love the pub area and waterfront on Breakaway. I felt the food was good on Breakaway but was surprised by repeated menus on a 7 day cruise. Staff was great! Lots of live music in the evenings. Lots of deck parties. Both offer escape room and similar daily activities. There were 18 to 20+ mix and mingles. Breakaway had a more party vibe crowd than I've had yet on RCL and DCL. I prefer Anthem but it didn't stop me from booking another Breakaway cruise in January.

We have sailed on both ships

Holidays is more of decorations on the Breakaway. There will be a "Christmas dinner" at all restaurants. If you are going to do Specialty dining inChristmas day, you need to book 90 days prior to your sailing to guarantee the best times.

Sea days are always just kick back and relax. The brave will be out on the sun deck (maybe slightly bundled up). We always by a spa pass and spend time in the large thermal suite. No indoor pool unless you are a full suites guest.

Rock of Ages and Burn the Floor are the two Broadway shows. Second City use to be the comedy act, although hey did not renew their contract. Lots of live music nightly. I posted a week's worth of dailies (for the 7-day Bermuda,,, but it will be similar for the Caribbean) on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2504449

The complimentary restaurants are good (not great).

We like NCL for the freestyle cruising. Show up to eat when you are hungry. No fixed dining times. Always get a 2-top without having to wait for people eating habits.

Holiday cruises will have a lot of families.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

According to my teen....not 20 something Ncl parties are much better than RCCL. There is a party every night. The stand up and dueling pianos are in the same place so basically one or the other is going on every night. We love that. More night life on NCL.

I find the selections and quality of food in NCL MDR to be below Royals, unless your in the Haven then OMG its amazing. NCL has more specialty dinning locations and they really push you towards them. They are as good if not better than Royals specialties. More specialty options on NCL The Buffets on both along the same level. Except NCL has crepes every night in the buffet way in the back (at least our cruises always did) Anthem had glutton free crepes in the morning only and they are no where as good at NCL.

I have never done a Holiday sailing so I can not speak for them from experience I am sure lots of families and kids because that is when they can cruise.

I felt as if the ncl's away class ships felt much more crowded than Anthem did and that's saying something.