Any update on cruises scheduled to leave from Puerto Rico?

mixplix

How did your insurance help you, since emerging was cancelled (and I assume refunded) by the providers?

I see where the nyt says that. Seems unlikely.

"Although the airport in San Juan was accommodating 36 flights per hour — 18 arrivals and 18 departures — on Tuesday, commercial transport was limited because of the many military and relief flights"... I would assume that if that number is right there are a very low number of commercial flights in the stats.

Getting groups of tourists who have been stranded there, or people there who live on the mainland and need to get home, into the ship to get back to the mainland, is a different thing than people wanting to transit through there for their vacations.

Ageeed.

Sorry, lost the proper quotation there.

Im not sure how it's helping you to keep freaking out when it'll either be fine to go OR it'll be cancelled. Travel plans when facing problems aren't enhanced by panic. Get plans in place and be ready to implement them. If it's not cancelled, then what happens next in your life? If it is, then what happens? You're either going to go or not go.

You are not currently in a disaster zone. You do not currently have pressing worries on you (like the people in PR do). I don't see how it serves anyone's mental health to freak out like some are.

It's like flying during winter weather. It'll snow or it won't. There will be a massive ice storm in Dallas and your husband will spend 3 hours on the 5 mile drive to the airport and maybe make it to his flight or he won't. The flight will be cancelled or it won't. Make the plans, put them in place, wait and see what comes next. Panicking and yelling at and about travel providers (even on cc, heck, especially on cc) doesn't help anything.

Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think it will either be fine or it will get cancelled. I mean, yes, you are right in a way that passengers have to be patient because cruises will continue to get cancelled as time goes on and if conditions don't improve bigly.

However, with Harvey, RC did cause passengers to get stuck in Houston in a disaster zone and during the storm because they didn't cancel a cruise. They were also unable to leave Houston after the storm because of storm related issues.

Also, people will still have to pack and pretend a cruise is happening, even if it gets cancelled days before. I find packing for a cruise to be stressful. Packing for an imaginary cruise would be worse.

And, finally, because of RC and Harvey, for passengers who do go to San Juan if this cruise is still scheduled to depart in *7* days, there is a large chance (in all liklihood in my opinion), that they will fly into an unsafe area with lack of infrastructure for human habitation. That is NOT fine. That is not ok.

People have the right to be concerned for their physical and medical health and safety going to San Juan next week. Absolutely.

They also have the right to be concerned about getting a flight off the island when the cruise is over.

Another step closer to having the San Juan airport functioning normally.

This was posted yesterday on: http://caribbeanbusiness.com/puerto-ricos-largest-airport-begins-to-get-power/

"Thirty percent of Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport’s power service was restored Thursday, but this percentage only helps to address critical areas, such as runway lighting."

My biggest concern would be what happens if I get to San Juan and break a leg, get in a wreck or have a kidney stone or whatever..... would I want to wind up in one of their hospitals at the moment?

Accidents are called that because they aren't planned or foreseeable...

Also, if your hotel is open, be sure to see if the hotel rooms have air condition! I have health issues and can't tolerate heat. It would provoke a flare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2017/09/26/clinton-pressured-trump-to-deploy-hospital-ship-comfort-to-puerto-rico-now-its-on-the-way/

And this today:

49536ca86edcfeade1d6e9b94071d310.png

That's very concerning.

Based on this....ALL cruise lines should cancel ALL sailings out of the eastern/southern US this week and send ALL ships to PR/islands to bring folks back to the US. Not just RC and not just AD....all cruise lines and all ships capable of reaching islands within 3 days!

That's very concerning.

Based on this....ALL cruise lines should cancel ALL sailings out of the eastern/southern US this week and send ALL ships to PR/islands to bring folks back to the US. Not just RC and not just AD....all cruise lines and all ships capable of reaching islands within 3 days!

Agreed!

That's very concerning.

Agreed because I also found out on twitter that the only people evacuated on RC the other day were families of employees and stranded tourists!

That's very concerning.

This

Agreed because I also found out on twitter that the only people evacuated on RC the other day were families of employees and stranded tourists!

I'm not surprised.

It makes sense to get stranded tourists out. There's no good reason to keep them stranded there. They have a place to go and resources to get there when they get back to the US. This will also free up more resources for residents/relief workers.

I doubt that Fort Lauderdale is equipped to handle over 3,000 people who don't have (1) any place to go or (2) the resources to go to another location (ie friend, family, etc.) once they get there.

There was a segment on our local news last night where friends and co-workers chipped in to buy a local family's mother a plane ticket to get her out of PR. Without their help they wouldn't have been able to get her to the states. Unfortunately, I don't think that's an isolated case.

Keep in mind that the average annual household income in PR is around $20,000/yr (census records).

I received this email just now from the Marriott Courtyard Isle Verde

We are grateful for the outpouring of concern, prayers and well wishes we have received in the past couple of days for our property, staff and island. Thankfully, all our staff and guests during this event are safe.

We continue to provide service to current guests and government agencies, that are helping our island to get back on its feet.

Even though our hotel sustained some damages, the restoration has already begun. We feel positive that our hotel will be fully operational by Dec. 1 and that the rest of the island might do so as well. During the next 60 days, our staff will focus on rebuilding our property to return better than ever. Therefore, we will proceed to cancel reservations with no penalties.

For any special inquiries please contact us at reservations@sjcourtyard.com or sales@sjcourtyard.com.

Our entire staff is committed to continue providing the same superb hospitality to all our guests.

The resiliency of Puerto Rico has been put to the test. We accept the challenge head on, with our heart and soul, for we will be The Island of Enchantment once again!

Sincerely,

Jose Padin

General Manager

Courtyard by Marriott

Isla Verde Beach Resort

http://www.SJCourtyard.com

Are those without trip insurance still on the hook if the cruise moves forward and goes? Even with a cancelled flight?

If you don't have insurance and the ship is sailing, you're out of luck. I would try to catch up with the ship at the first port of call.

Even with insurance it depends on your policy. We had a canceled flight on our last cruise and for the policy I purchased we had to get ourselves to the next port of call. The carrier (Southwest) didn't fly to our first port of call. I ended up rebooking on another carrier and we made to the ship on time.

For our upcoming cruise the end of October, we could cancel and get our money back based on a natural disaster clause (different policy). We're waiting until we get closer to our cruise time to make a decision.