Cruising to the Unknown - Magic Oct 7th

LadyGal4

I don't get it. So you book your cruise and you know your departure port but not the ports of call? That sounds fun. Do you save $ on your cruise? I'm wondering why anyone would do this otherwise?

Very few have actually booked this cruise since hurricanes destroyed the ports she was supposed to visit. Those who may have booked in the past week undoubtedly got a very good deal.

Don't you think going to an island not working through hurricane aftermath sounds more fun than going to one that is?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't get it. So you book your cruise and you know your departure port but not the ports of call? That sounds fun. Do you save $ on your cruise? I'm wondering why anyone would do this otherwise?
It's the only way affordable cruises are sold. Cruise lines that offer affordable cruises would be unable to stay in business offering Caribbean cruises if they had to unilaterally bear the impact of hurricanes on those itineraries. As such, along with the affordable prices, they include terms and conditions that make clear that as needed they can vary ports-of-calls and sea days, embarkation port, disembarkation port, duration of cruise, etc., especially in response to changing circumstance beyond their direct control. Passengers and cruise lines sharing the risk of such circumstances is an essential part of what allows those of us who aren't rich to afford cruises.

here is off carnival website

We have modified the following itineraries in order to provide our guests with the best possible shore experience.

Carnival Magic – October 7

Departing Port Canaveral on a 7 day cruise to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya.

there is a list of changed cruises

We are also on this cruise, and staying on for the Western Caribbean cruise the following week. I wouldn't mind doing an Amber Cove, St. Kitts, & Antigua cruise. You know that San Juan & St. Thomas are definitely out. Fingers crossed that Grand Turk will be able to accept ships again that week. But in the grand scheme of things we'll go wherever the ship will take us. Many people on those devastated islands have much more serious problems to worry about, then we have problems wondering where our ship will go. Our thoughts and prayers are with them. Race you to the Red Frog Rum Bar!!! :cool:

It is a little frustrating and ultimately humbling that basically so soon afterwords some can go and have a mystery vacation they can trust and some are carving through their lives..well put..looking so forward to seeing some folks here on a ship!! Have a blast!! Not far for my budget allowing I think...sigh..work and faith,,,Sarah..great to see you...

It's the only way affordable cruises are sold. Cruise lines that offer affordable cruises would be unable to stay in business offering Caribbean cruises if they had to unilaterally bear the impact of hurricanes on those itineraries. As such, along with the affordable prices, they include terms and conditions that make clear that as needed they can vary ports-of-calls and sea days, embarkation port, disembarkation port, duration of cruise, etc., especially in response to changing circumstance beyond their direct control. Passengers and cruise lines sharing the risk of such circumstances is an essential part of what allows those of us who aren't rich to afford cruises.

Good thoughts and one way for a deal...early booking as well and watching price checks...

Good thoughts and one way for a deal...early booking as well and watching price checks...

Adding for all here.....you know these ports have not had same pull as others, for me,..but everyone leaves fabulous unique reviews of staying at a nice hotel or going to unique tours and beautiful snorkeling ans all inclusive Beach day finds, sea life tours etc and unique finds at places Tour operators take you...in this case try to let go of the fun of planing and ask powers that be for a little help in fun of discovery...make a list of fun sounding things and recommended tour folks...if you can't get it form here you may be very pleased there..just be smart about time of tour..getting back etc. Nice Hotel beach days could be great...just like you get to the special beaches and stays of each place without staying where you may wan to for a whole week or you may discover your next one week paradise. I have met so many who loved these places while not a first draw to me either,,,:)have a wonderful time all....;)

Im on the same cruise. I booked it 18 months ago while on Magic on this particular itinerary then. At this point, I just want on the ship for 7 days. Yeah, I understand it may be a little disappointing but I knew this going in to the deal. Plus, its my luck too :) All I ever read is "we have done 15 cruises in October, never an issue" and my first cruise in October there is a major change and now may even be some tropical weather blowing in the Gulf this week. I just want on the ship. I dont care where we go. My only disappointment right now is Dr E goes on vacation tomorrow. Lol

Im on the same cruise. I booked it 18 months ago while on Magic on this particular itinerary then. At this point, I just want on the ship for 7 days. Yeah, I understand it may be a little disappointing but I knew this going in to the deal. Plus, its my luck too :) All I ever read is "we have done 15 cruises in October, never an issue" and my first cruise in October there is a major change and now may even be some tropical weather blowing in the Gulf this week. I just want on the ship. I dont care where we go. My only disappointment right now is Dr E goes on vacation tomorrow. Lol

I feel the same way. As long as I make it safely on the ship, and especially if the weather is good, I'm just happy to be cruising. A bad day on the ship is better than a good day at work. :D

That is so not true! Cruiselines alter because they need to, not that they want to.

And I don't understand where you are bringing in if people are poor or not?? You make no sense...

So now we get to do B2B Western cruises. A tad disappointed but we certainly understand. It will make for a relaxing two weeks with more ship time. We have the spa couples pass booked for both cruises. :D

A few Octobers ago, I booked a B2B eastern/western itineries on the Conquest. Before leaving Florida the Captain announced we would be doing a western/western due to a hurricane around St Thomas and San Juan arriving about the same time the ship would. He gave guests the choice to recover their luggage and leave the ship or remain on board. Between 400 -600 left, and I had a fantastic time on the B2B. even though I had already done maybe a dozen westerns at that point.

Different folk and different strokes.....Hope you have a great cruise.

A few Octobers ago, I booked a B2B eastern/western itineries on the Conquest. Before leaving Florida the Captain announced we would be doing a western/western due to a hurricane around St Thomas and San Juan arriving about the same time the ship would. He gave guests the choice to recover their luggage and leave the ship or remain on board. Between 400 -600 left, and I had a fantastic time on the B2B. even though I had already done maybe a dozen westerns at that point.

Different folk and different strokes.....Hope you have a great cruise.

You know we will. :D There are many things to do at each port, so we'll be doing different things each week. It's all good! :cool:

That is so not true! Cruiselines alter because they need to, not that they want to.

And I don't understand where you are bringing in if people are poor or not?? You make no sense...

Evidently I make a lot of sense, but it is sense you simply fear or unlike.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Would you have been happier with two sea days? If only two ports were available in the east and the ship could not make it to the west?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think that would be ok but from what I read here I don't think many others would.. But doesn't matter I moved on and started learning about the ports we are going to.

Have to say this after reading your responses one after the other on these boards.... you are absolutely 'inebriated by the exuberance of your verbosity" bUU!!

Better to post thoughtful, nuanced, accurate and precise thoughts than spew vapid, vague, or ridiculously one-sided sound bites like most of our society today.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.