My Review / Suggestions

Tahitianbigkahuna

TBK, just to add to the other responses, I look forward to your posts and pictures every day. Unlike the larger cruises we have been on, the roll call for our upcoming cruise is not active. So, getting your commentary and pictures has been virtually the only regular input.

And, like above, I do not post a response just for adding to my posts, but rest assured you have been the best resource for my planning for our trip.

So, if you have the time, please continue. :D

You left off on the IC, and I was hoping you could show the difference between categories of rooms. For our shore extension, we are to get a Superior Lagoon view room and it is only for one night, but I have read that you prefer a Panorama room. Not sure how much extra that costs and whether I can get one with the shore extension package(Panorama not shown on the PG website). The Standard Lagoon view rooms are under renovation, so is the Superior similar to the Panorama? Do you have any pictures of the views from both the Superior and the Panorama? I did sign up for the IHG card, although not the ambassador program.

If you do continue, I would love to see a similar commentary and pictures on your experiences on Huahine. This is the one island I am still considering our options.

Thanks for all of your help so far, and I hope you will continue!

Doug

Love all of the pictures! We are booked on the Jan 6th PG cruise and a 1 night pre-cruise stay at the IC on Tahiti. Your pictures and tips are incredibly helpful and very appreciated. The pics of the IC really confirmed our decision to stay there :)

Are there any restaurants or markets close to the IC where we can get a less expensive bite to eat? We won’t have a car so prefer something within walking distance.

Thanks!

Karen

First let me say thank you all for the kind responses. I love it when people interact and ask questions about the area/island I'm giving info on and / or pictures. I have a huge amount of knowledge and frankly if I was to go into detail in all my experiences I'd probably do it as a blog or write a book. Don't have the time right now for that but I can answer questions along the way but I'd prefer that it stays on target on the island / area I'm discussing at the moment.

Yes it does take considerable time to sort though thousands of photos taken over many years and get then sorted in one file and then pick out the best to share so the only gauge I have that doing so is needed thus to continue is a bit of chatter ;)

To answer your question Karen there are a few options. Without taking public transportation I would suggest walking past the Market and go to the marina. There you will find some nice restaurants with a view of the Marina and/or Moorea. Italian, French and polynesian restaurants can be found here. It's about a mile from the IC.

restaurants-XL.jpg

I would not recommend going to the left when leaving the IC if your going to be walking at night, I'll leave it at that.

The other option is to take the public bus and go into PPT where there are several restaurants and of course the waterfront Roulottes which are very good. The bus is $3 each way per person, many PG cruisers meet at the IC and come together and take a taxi together, about $25 to the waterfront each way at dinner time. There are usually taxis at the IC waiting, just make sure when they hail you a taxi that it will accomadate the amount of people you have going.

One of the favorite food trucks at the waterfront

roulettes%20-%20Larry%20teaser%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Oooo - a restaurant with a view of Moorea sounds lovely and so Tahitian!!! We do appreciate a good food truck too! Hard choices :)

Thank you for the don’t walk left tip!

Does the bus come on a regular schedule?

The bus comes to the front entrance off the Faaa road every 20 - 30 minutes. If your heading to PPT / waterfront you will want to walk across the street, you will see the bus stop ;)

Ask the bus driver which bus you want to get on or your return ...

The IC also has a shuttle that will take you a few times during the day, ask the front desk. There in a nominal fee for the shuttle.

First let me say thank you all for the kind responses. I love it when people interact and ask questions about the area/island I'm giving info on and / or pictures. I have a huge amount of knowledge and frankly if I was to go into detail in all my experiences I'd probably do it as a blog or write a book. Don't have the time right now for that but I can answer questions along the way but I'd prefer that it stays on target on the island / area I'm discussing at the moment.

Yes it does take considerable time to sort though thousands of photos taken over many years and get then sorted in one file and then pick out the best to share so the only gauge I have that doing so is needed thus to continue is a bit of chatter ;)

To answer your question Karen there are a few options. Without taking public transportation I would suggest walking past the Market and go to the marina. There you will find some nice restaurants with a view of the Marina and/or Moorea. Italian, French and polynesian restaurants can be found here. It's about a mile from the IC.

restaurants-XL.jpg

I would not recommend going to the left when leaving the IC if your going to be walking at night, I'll leave it at that.

The other option is to take the public bus and go into PPT where there are several restaurants and of course the waterfront Roulottes which are very good. The bus is $3 each way per person, many PG cruisers meet at the IC and come together and take a taxi together, about $25 to the waterfront each way at dinner time. There are usually taxis at the IC waiting, just make sure when they hail you a taxi that it will accomadate the amount of people you have going.

One of the favorite food trucks at the waterfront

roulettes%20-%20Larry%20teaser%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

I know where I’m heading for dinner one night!

TBK, just to add to the other responses, I look forward to your posts and pictures every day. Unlike the larger cruises we have been on, the roll call for our upcoming cruise is not active. So, getting your commentary and pictures has been virtually the only regular input.

And, like above, I do not post a response just for adding to my posts, but rest assured you have been the best resource for my planning for our trip.

So, if you have the time, please continue. :D

You left off on the IC, and I was hoping you could show the difference between categories of rooms. For our shore extension, we are to get a Superior Lagoon view room and it is only for one night, but I have read that you prefer a Panorama room. Not sure how much extra that costs and whether I can get one with the shore extension package(Panorama not shown on the PG website). The Standard Lagoon view rooms are under renovation, so is the Superior similar to the Panorama? Do you have any pictures of the views from both the Superior and the Panorama? I did sign up for the IHG card, although not the ambassador program.

If you do continue, I would love to see a similar commentary and pictures on your experiences on Huahine. This is the one island I am still considering our options.

Thanks for all of your help so far, and I hope you will continue!

Doug

Doug ....

We've never stayed in an individual fare, always in the main building. Maybe Emdee will chim in on your question as she has stayed in several room categories ....

As for Huahine I will get there ;)

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Doug ....

I assume you are asking about the IC Thalasso on Bora Bora?

As for Huahine I will get there ;)

No, sorry I was asking about our 1 night pre-cruise stay at the IC Tahiti. I thought I had read previously that you prefer the Panorama room. The PG website allows for a Superior Lagoon view room or an OWB. I am booking everything through a TA and using PG's shore extensions. So, for only one night is it worth it to explore booking a Panorama room if they allow it?

We are already set to spend 4 nights post cruise at Vahine Private Island Resort through PG.

And, great will follow along and wait patiently for Huahine :D. Just not sure what we want to book on this island, I am inclined to go with either a 4x4 or one of Marc's tours.

No, sorry I was asking about our 1 night pre-cruise stay at the IC Tahiti. I thought I had read previously that you prefer the Panorama room. The PG website allows for a Superior Lagoon view room or an OWB. I am booking everything through a TA and using PG's shore extensions. So, for only one night is it worth it to explore booking a Panorama room if they allow it?

We are already set to spend 4 nights post cruise at Vahine Private Island Resort through PG.

And, great will follow along and wait patiently for Huahine :D. Just not sure what we want to book on this island, I am inclined to go with either a 4x4 or one of Marc's tours.

I updated my previous post once I figured out it was the IC Tahiti you were referring to ;)

As far as Huahine it's a roll of the dice. Huahine doesn't have the best snorkeling though Marc's is a nice afternoon and he does an outstanding tour. I prefer something more off the beaten trek so Iti side is enjoyable for us. The ship does a few tours that focuses on the Iti side .... the road less traveled ;) The vistas are incredible on the Iti side ....

Huahine%20Iti%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Huahine%202-XL.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

I updated my previous post once I figured out it was the IC Tahiti you were referring to ;)

As far as Huahine it's a roll of the dice. Huahine doesn't have the best snorkeling though Marc's is a nice afternoon and he does an outstanding tour. I prefer something more off the beaten trek so Iti side is enjoyable for us. The ship does a few tours that focuses on the Iti side .... the road less traveled ;) The vistas are incredible on the Iti side ....

Huahine%20Iti%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Huahine%202-XL.jpg

Marc has two tours, Motu picnic and the Combo tour. Which one have you done and if you have done both, which one do you recommend?

Doug

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you so much for this WONDERFUL trip report! We have enjoyed reading each and every post! Your pictures and insight are delightful! Honestly, we look for your posts each day and relish each and every remark. You have brought us so much joy!

We cruised the Paul Gauguin in July of 2008 - we LOVED it! Our favorite vacation in our lifetime! Looking at taking our children with us in June of 2018, to experience this incredible journey!

May I please ask a question? Last time we stayed at the IC Tahiti the night before the cruise - it was AMAZING! We enjoyed the property and thought it was the perfect pre-cruise hotel. We wanted to stay at the IC Tahiti before this cruise in June, but it looks like we would have to book two rooms, as we have two children with us ages 16 and 11 at cruise time. I'm not sure it makes sense to have to book two rooms. We really want to stay at the IC, but I fear we may have to book at another location - any suggestions?

Again, THANK YOU so much for your delightful report!

esqtimestwo ....

This brings me to my next topic, Fare Suisse.

If I wasn't going to stay at the IC Tahiti for a pre/post cruise night I would stay at Fare Suisse.

I've attached a PDF with information and pictures I've taken while there. The website mentioned on the PDF seems to not work so they might be doing their booking though another source but you can reach them through their Facebook account.

If I recall there are a few room choices and a few include rooms that can accommodate your situation.

https://www.facebook.com/Fare-Suisse-Tahiti-250552739004/

Fare Suisse.pdf

Lets continue ....

Most going on a PG cruise seldom see some of the sites around Tahiti. One such place in the Venus Lighthouse. There are a few tours that go stop here or you can rent a car or .... take the bus. There is a public park at the lighthouse and usually a few vendors selling local artwork. If you rented a car and going around the island this is a must stop ...

lighthouse%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Tahiti%20light%20house-XL.jpg

OK, so a topic that is on everyone's mind is pearls ....

Here is my take on where to go for pearls. First you need to decide how much your wanting/willing to spend. Some want nothing but the best and are willing to pay the price. If that is you then places like Robert Wan or any of the pearl shops in the high end resorts will meet your needs. The pearls on the PG are of high quality, as good as you will find in any of the high end places. My BH loves looking at the pearls on a sea day, they are stunning and even better when the ladies in the shop place one around your neck and you get a picture with a beauty pearl.

From the IC on Moorea ...

pearls%20instagram%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

However, if your looking to just buy souvenirs they can be found almost anywhere, especially around the tender locations. For $10 - $20 you can purchase a black pearl that are just fine for gifts and/or making inexpensive jewelry for yourself/family.

Then there are a ton of places with everything in between. A good bet is on Moorea at Tahia's. Good quality at a fair price. Another would be Eva's on Moorea, an expatriate who marries a Polynesian, she is a certified gemologist of America.

%5B000786%5D-XL.jpg

Then there is my BH's favorite place. She loves to bring home a 'bag of marbles' every time we go. Her favorite place(s) is on Tahiti close to the Marche. There are three stores all the same ownership within a few blocks. The easiest way to find is to go upstairs in the Marches and next to the elevator you will find Mihiarii Pearls.

Your not going to find the high end pearls at this place but what you will find is thousands of pearls from entry level to better than average at a fair price. The fun part is how you decide which pearl(s). The sales ladies will dump 500 or more pearls on a table designed for picking/grading pearls and then you get to pick out the one(s) that catch your attention. Prior to tossing the pearls on the table they will ask you how much is your budget and how many do you want to purchase. Based on your feedback they will pick a container of pearls that will fit your needs. You can pick out based on color, sizr or sheen or a combination of all three and stay within your budget. It is one of my BH's must dos while on Tahiti. Remember they have three stoes all within two blocks of the Marche.

IMG_3400-XL.jpg

As you can see you can pick out in a certain price category ... in this picture my BH is picking from the better stuff, the $200 bucket. The more expensive pearls are behind the counter and you simply ask them for the better quality pearls, they will be glad to toss hundreds of pearls on the table for you to pick from. If you want their advise they will give it and frankly as the sorting has all been done they are very forthcoming, my BH usually ask for their advise and says something like, "which one would you choose for yourself?". The ladies will usually pick out a dozen or more and then my BH pickes form the ones they recommended.

pearls%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Many returnees have their favorite places, this is ours ...

Hi TBK,

Thank you for the update on pearls...we will only be on Moorea during our PG cruise and will probably want to book snorkeling excursions so my only chance to select a fairly inexpensive ($150 - $200ish price range) piece may be in Tahiti where we will be staying for 3 nights before boarding PG. I also wish to look for some under $40 gifts for others to bring home.

We also will be going to Bora Bora for 3 nights post PG, but I suspect that the prices may be higher on that island.

Do they have pre-made pearl jewelry in my price range(s) at Eva Perles or other stores in this area? We will be staying at the Manava Suites in Tahiti.

Many thanks for your feedback!

:) Lisa

p.s. Gorgeous photos once again!

Hi TBK,

Thank you for the update on pearls...we will only be on Moorea during our PG cruise and will probably want to book snorkeling excursions so my only chance to select a fairly inexpensive ($150 - $200ish price range) piece may be in Tahiti where we will be staying for 3 nights before boarding PG. I also wish to look for some under $40 gifts for others to bring home.

We also will be going to Bora Bora for 3 nights post PG, but I suspect that the prices may be higher on that island.

Do they have pre-made pearl jewelry in my price range(s) at Eva Perles or other stores in this area? We will be staying at the Manava Suites in Tahiti.

Many thanks for your feedback!

:) Lisa

p.s. Gorgeous photos once again!

Your best bet on pre-made pearl jewelry is Eva Perles. She has won numerous awards for her creations ... and bet of all she is as honest as they come ;)

Thanks for the photo kudos, appreciated .... the best pictures are yet to come ...

I've attached a PDF giving info on what there is to do right around the PG mooring location on Tahiti ....

I'm getting close to tips and hints as you board your PG cruise ;)

Great info, thanks!

Doug

Hi Tahitianbigkahuna

We are on the QE SFO-SYD next February with 3 stops in Tahiti: Papeete, Bora Bora and Moorea. Are there any shore excursions available at these ports as we go ashore or do I have to make reservations ahead of time?

If there are excursions available on the docks, what kind are they? Private, semi-private, bus tours?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Robert