My Review / Suggestions

Tahitianbigkahuna

Lets move on ... other options while on Huahine.

Another popularexcursion is a day at the beach. HHN-4. This includes transportation to theMaitai Lapita Village where you will have use of the pool, beach area and they serve you lunch. There is some snorkeling in front but there maybe some currentdepending on the tides so be careful. A big plus to this excursion is the museum which is smallbut very nice, tons of original artifacts. Another thing to do is walk aroundthe lilly pond, just lovely.

Le%20Maitai%20Z%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

maitai%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Le%20Maitai%20%284%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

MaiTai%20beach%20area%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Dock%20on%20Huahine%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

So lets continue ....

There is a free shuttle from the tender location to Fare and back. This is good for a visit to town or to go to the rental places. Others have gone to Fare and gone to the right from the pier that your dropped off in front of and supposedly there is a little beach. Never done that or seen it, don't know if it's private or public, just passing on what I've heard.

The village of Fare has several eateries, places to purchase souvenirs, a market, post office and an ATM. As the PG usually visits on Sunday the main road through town becomes a farmers market after church is let out. It is fun to walk by the tables, grab something local to munch on and mingle with the people of Huahine. Polynesians are by nature a loving and giving people.

TBK, great info. So, if we do the half day Iti tour would we have time to catch a shuttle to Fare and then get back a couple of hours later?

Do you know how often the shuttles run and how long will it take the shuttle to get to or from Fare?

And, last question aren’t the blue eyed eels in Fare and can you view them without a guide?

Thanks!

Doug

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

TBK, great info. So, if we do the half day Iti tour would we have time to catch a shuttle to Fare and then get back a couple of hours later?

Do you know how often the shuttles run and how long will it take the shuttle to get to or from Fare?

And, last question aren’t the blue eyed eels in Fare and can you view them without a guide?

Thanks!

Doug

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Shuttle is every half hour or on the hour ....

As far as getting back in time it depends on the shuttle times ...

The Blue Eyed eels are in Faie ... not Fare ;)

Is there an easy way to see the blue eyed eels without going on a ship excursion? How can you get to faie?

Not easy ... there is a bus around the island but I'm not sure on the schedule or drop off / pick up areas.

Rent a scooter or car. It is a good road all the way to the eel location ;)

lets continue ...

I've done Marc's tour at least 5 times, both the combo and the BBQ/snorkel. I've done a day at the beach, taken the shuttle to Fare .... we loved all of them but one of the most rewarding was simply driving through the island. We've rented cars and once had a friend who lives on Huahine drive us around. Driving around allows you to not only see the tourist stuff but see things off the beaten trek and rub shoulders with the locals.

Both Nui and Iti are lovely with Iti a bit more off the beaten trek ....

So leaving the tender location and going around the bay lets enjoy Huahine ....

Around Maroe Bay and of course the PG makes a great backdrop ...

Huahine%20tender%20-%20ship%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Huahine%20Maroe%20Bay27%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Huahine%20Maroe%20Bay18%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Local kids playing ...

Huahine%20Maroe%20Bay%20vahine3%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Maroe%20Bay%20PG%20wharf%20outrigger%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Huahine%20Maroe%20Bay29%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

I am still following along and loving all of your Stunning pictures!

We are planning to explore on our own and I’d like to include a visit to the Pearl Farm. Do you happen to know where you can pick up the free shuttle boat to the Pearl farm?

You grab the free boat transfer from the little village of Faie. There is a place to park next to the dock. Also in Faie is the Blue Eyed Eels which I've noted on the map.

boat-600x348.jpg

Lets continue on our trip around Huahine ...

This is one of my favorite pictures I took this last July. This young girls was waiting at the bus stop on the outskirts of Maroe Bay. I asked her if I could take her picture and permission was given. Love the story the picture tells. Framed at the bus stop, a locals boat sits at the waters edge, the Paul Gauguin sits in contrast and the thongs sitting on the ground .... her clothing is colorful and a flower sits in her hair ....

Huahine%20Maroe%20Bay%20vahine4%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

The old with the new .... a traditional outrigger sits next to traps but notice the plastic lawn chairs in the outrigger ...

Huahine%20Maroe%20Bay9%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Contrast of life .... the Paul Gauguin sits in Maroe Bay, two basic kid's toys sit in the foreground. What is neat about traveling on the Paul Gauguin is you can see/experience life as locals do but return to be pampered.

Huahine%20Maroe%20Bay11%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Again a picture of contrast ... Maroe Bay

Huahine%20Maroe%20Bay22%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Maroe%20Bay%20PG%20plus%20outrigger%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Beautiful pockets of lushness, swaying plam trees and the blue of Maroe Bay with of course you home away from home sitting there for your return.

Huahine%20Maroe%20Bay6%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Lets continue ...

As you get ready to climb up to the Belvedere from Maroe Bay you will pass swampy looking areas with homes owned by locals ...

Huahine%20Maroe%20Bay%20old%20house%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Huahine%20Maroe%20Bay10%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Planted crops and drier areas ...

Huahine%20Maroe%20Bay30%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Fruit%20-%20z%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

And after you go past the Belvedere you will come into the ancient volcano ...

Huahine%20in%20volcano%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Inside you will find luch folige ...

Huahine%20tree%20in%20volcano%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

I especially loved the first photo on post #161. Beautiful composition.

Do the Gauguines offer any painting opportunities on board other than decorating items?

Thank you for the kind words ...... I have been told that a well known Polynesian artist may want to make a picture of this. Who knows, maybe it will end up for sale on the Paul Gauguin :)

Painting? I don't have the answer to that though from my experience if you ask and one of them does indeed paint you might have a special time to do just that. Ask them when you get on-board, all are multi talented.

We'll someone brought the thread back to the top so I better continue ....

As you continue along the north side of Huahine Nui the road winds around rural areas with lush greenery to enjoy.

Huahine%20bush%20in%20volcano%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Huahine%20Maroe%20Bay28%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

IMG_5026-XL.jpg

tree%20-%20z%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Finally you come upon rural residenial areas ... yes there are cattle in FP.

Steers%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

You will come across food stands in front of little homes. Some of our rewarding experiences have been stopping and buying some local eats. Great conversation and you get local tips that you won't find in the tourist publications. Taro%20root%20along%20the%20road%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

I check in regularly and was so excited to see the next installment in the tour of Huahine. Stunning pictures!

Thanks so much for sharing! I can’t wait to experience the beauty of the islands in January.

When people respond I'll take the time to place more info/pictures on the thread. Many respond to the other review so I figure mine isn't popular thus no need for me to take the time to continue ....

Thanks for the response ;)

Exceptional photos! Great information! Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this valuable information! We look forward to checking it every day!

Thank you .....

So we can continue ;)

Along in this same area of the Marae temples the fish traps that are still in use today are there to enjoy / photograph.

fish%20trap%20by%20the%20bridge%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

fish%20trap%203%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

fish%20trap%202%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

fish%20trap%201%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Then across the bridge where there are usually local families fishing.

fishing%20from%20the%20bridge%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Great pictures, too bad PG doesn't do an overnight for Huahine as it looks like there is a lot to see and do based on your thread.

Thanks,

Doug

One could stay pre/post on Huahine. There are a few wonderful places to stay. Huahine does not have the tourist like Bora Bora or Moorea, which is one of it's charms ...

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Lets continue ....

Once your over the bridge keep going straight until you reach the next road .... go to your right. About a 1/4 mile down on your right you will come to Galerie Umatatea Huahine. This is the studio of artist Melanie Shook Dupre, an accomplished painter of Polynesia. A personal visit is a must. Melanie is personable and so talented. Many of her paintings have been on the walls of the Paul Gauguin.

Melanie%20studio1%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Melanie%20studio3%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

As you leave if you go to your right and go to the very end you will arrive at the old Sofitel Resort. The views of the lagoon are stunning from this location.

As you head back toward the bridge you will be traveling through a rural residentail area but most families run their businesses from their property. We stopped at one interesting place, actually this was the home/business of Melanie's father-in-law, yeah we'll go with that. He is in his mid 80's and accumulates coconuts in the moringing with his wheel barrel. Brings them home, pulls the husk and then when ready cracks them open and pulls out the 'meat'. It is then places on a drying table and when ready bagged and sold.

What does a 85 year old do after a hard days work?

A%20hard%20days%20work%20for%20a%20guy%20in%20his%2080%27s%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

coconut%20drying%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Here is the link to Melanie's studio ...

https://www.facebook.com/polynesiapaintings/?timeline_context_item_type=intro_card_work&timeline_context_item_source=662104080&pnref=lhc