My Review / Suggestions

Tahitianbigkahuna

OK back to the story ... with a detour :)

I promised a few sunset pictures on the sea days so here you go.

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-h4M2qk6/0/93b39f74/X2/Sea%20Day%201%20-%20sunrise2%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

And of course don't forget to capture that sunset with you in the picture. I took several for others on the sea day this year. I got permission to share this one ;)

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-D3M3gj4/0/2732667d/X2/couple%20in%20sunset%20pose%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

When you wake up the following morning your in the Cook's. We'll start with Rarotonga but you never know which one might come first as the captain always weighs in on the options and if one is better that day for tendering that is the one that will happen first. Tendering can be tricky in the Cook's as the ship does not come inside the reef thus the swells can be an issue. Plus the ship is basically adrift as there is noting to tie off to. Again this is where the crew of the PG shines brightly. The crew of the PG deals with this type of tendering all the time, thus your in good hands and the captian trust his crew because of their experience dealing with this type of tendering, something to consider when you pick your ship for the South Pacific.

Finally as you come out on deck or your balcony you see Rarotonga and specifically Avarua, the main community ....

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-sGc8KDx/0/7a6f7e93/X2/Rarotonga1%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

Looking east ....

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-MKTpnfg/0/25e6cbb2/X2/Rarotonga2%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

You come ahore and you imediately notice ....

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-32gnfxf/0/14477524/X2/Rarotonga%20-%20roaster%20at%20entrance%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

Yes roosters .... nobody goes hungry in the Cook's! Speaking of eating ... I once asked a Cook Island man about spouses, I said, "your ladies seem to be good cooks." He responded and said, "no, their good eaters."

Avarua is a great community to shop so long as the shops are open. On this last trip we visited Rarotonga on a Sunday so the town was a bit sleepy. But if it's bustling this is another great place for souvenir shopping and/or pearl seaching as the exchange rate is usually more favorable in the Cook's compared to FP, that is compared to the USD.

The main street of Avarua ....

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-Q6cD3Ff/0/6ca9de30/X2/Rarotonga%20-%20main%20road%20in%20Avarua%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

When you get off the tender your in easy walking distance to town for shopping and/or renting a car. Some of the car rental agencies will come and pick you up and then take you to their office which is usually in Avarua. But if you are walking simply walk to your left on the main road, it's about a 1/4 mile to the heart of town.

If your renting a car you do not need a Cook Island drivers licence from the police department. When you rent a car you will have a $5 surcharge for a one day Cook Islands drivers licence. If you were staying longer you would need to get one form the police department. Not a great picture but it brings back memories.

lic-S.jpg

I won't give you a recommendation on a rental agency, all the big players are there as well as some independent places. A basic small car with A/C is cheap compared to FP prices so this is a good island to rent a car. I've rented from independent places to the big boys, prices are slightly cheaper with the independent places but the cars seem to be in a bit better condition form the major international players.

I would not recoment renting scooters on Rarotonga as the traffic can be a bit much in some places and the roads narrow. Aitutaki is a good island for scooter rentals but who wants to miss out on the famous lagoon of Aitutaki.

There are basically five things to do on Rarotonga. Walk around Avarua and shop. Hang out at Muri Beach/Resort. Take a lagoon tour of the Marine reserve which goes out from Muri Beach or rent a car and tour the island on your own. Or .... go with Pa for a trek in the hills. All have their merits and will call to different people depending on your individual likes.

The Muri Beach area is the hang out location and where most of the better known resorts are located plus the lagoon tours go out from there. The ship has a lagoon tour which is fun and we've taken it. Glass bottom boat and if you want you can jump into the water. The reserve area is filled with colorful fish. Some resorts will do day use for a fee, some won't but you are on your own to get there so either rent a car and take the bus, yup the bus. Goes around the entire island about every 20 minutes.

Lagoon tour ....

Rarotonga%20-%20Muri%20Beach2%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Muri Beach area ...

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-s7T7K7p/0/e86bb387/X2/Rarotonga%20-%20Muri%20Beach5%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-DH4WqXg/0/870444a0/X2/Rarotonga%20-%20Muri%20Beach6%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-r9Dz5hJ/0/a956916c/X2/Rarotonga%20-%20Muri%20Beach3%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

Pa is well known on Rarotonga and though I've never taken the tour which is from the ship I've been told it's good and some great cultural information as well as beautiful vistas to enjoy and snap a few pictures of.

Looking up the hill where Pa heads ....

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-thmMwTX/0/d467dfbc/X2/Rarotonga%20-%20palm%20tre%20grove%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

Off to church ... I'll add some more later today

Beautiful photos. We should be in the Cook Islands Tuesday and Wednesday so we might get a chance to check out the shops. Do they take US dollars, or should we get something else (NZ dollars)? I know you can get small amounts of money exchanged on the PG, but maybe we should do that at airport instead. We got our CFP francs at LAX last time we went.

Beautiful photos. We should be in the Cook Islands Tuesday and Wednesday so we might get a chance to check out the shops. Do they take US dollars, or should we get something else (NZ dollars)? I know you can get small amounts of money exchanged on the PG, but maybe we should do that at airport instead. We got our CFP francs at LAX last time we went.

The worst exchange rate is at LAX .... convert to CFP on-board which has a fair exchange rate or there are several ATM's a few blocks from the ship or at the airport in PPT.

The actual shops in the Cooks will accept USD or there are ATMs in front of banks ....

Thank you again, especially for the Muri Beach photos. On Rarotonga, we signed up for the Muri Lagoon glass bottom boat excursion through Paul Gauguin. I'm really looking forward to it. I've never seen minah birds in the wild. Hopefully we'll see one while we're there. Our excursion is in the morning, so we might check out the town in the afternoon.

As for the LAX currency exchange, we noticed how bad it was after we did it. I should have known that the US government doesn't off any good deals. We still have some francs left that we'll be bringing with us. We really only needed them for a few small purchases last time. It's good to know that the Cook Islands won't be a problem when it comes to spending money.

Thanks for the Muir beach photos. Nice to see that there is shade there while sitting on the beach and that they have Loungechairs to get you off the sand. Looking forward to details on Aitutaki also! We are on this itinerary in early January.

If your driving around Rarotonga west of Muri Beach you will come to 'Fruits of Rarotonga'. There is a place to park on the ocean side as well as a covered area to relax and eat something from the Fruits of Rarotonga. Right in front out in the lagoon is the area where the Marine Reserve is located. Often you will see some tourist boats out there. You can snorkel from this location but it is a bit of a swim to get out there where the best coral and fish are located.

fruits-L.jpg

Continuing on you clockwise you will go by some cemeteries, both commercial and private ... some interesting out buildings ...

Rarotonga%20-%20old%20cemetery1%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Rarotonga%20-%20old%20cemetery3%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Continuing you will finally come to the old Sheraton Resort that went was never completed some 20 years ago. Looked like it was going to be a wonderful place. More importantly is the turn off for the waterfall.

waterfall-L.jpg

A lovely place to enjoy ... but be warned, bring bug spray.

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-qPgHZxS/0/e8c8c866/X2/waterfall%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

We'll have a rental car for the day. I'm planning to stop at Fruits of Rarotonga for a drink + snorkel but I'm not sure how far out we're comfortable swimming in an unfamiliar place.

Are there any locals or informal guides who might shuttle us out and stay with us off shore?

We'll have a rental car for the day. I'm planning to stop at Fruits of Rarotonga for a drink + snorkel but I'm not sure how far out we're comfortable swimming in an unfamiliar place.

Are there any locals or informal guides who might shuttle us out and stay with us off shore?

I've never had to find a local for a day trip so I'm not the right person to ask. There is snorkeling closer to shore but the better stuff is out there though much of it is shallow during low tide.

Although, we’ve cruised a lot, this is our first trip to Tahiti. Your info has been great in helping our planning. But, I have a question that I haven’t seen posted yet.

We’re cruising Oceania and then going on to Bora Bora for a week. We’d like to leave a suitcase in storage at Papeete airport. Do you know if the luggage storage at the airport is secure? And how much it costs? Do they take US dollars?

Lets continue ...

As you continue clockwise you will finally come to a sign for the hospital. Take it and drive up to the parking area .... turn around and then enjoy the view of the airport, and the PG sitting outside the reef.

black%20rock-M.jpg

Rarotonga%20-%20PG%20sitting%20off%20of%20Avarua1%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

Then return to the main road and turn right .... you will soon come to a parking area right next to the lagoon. Park here and enjoy the view of Black Rock. Frankly the next time we are on Rarotonga I'm going to set time aside to walk down to the water and take a dip, it looks that inviting. I'm goingto link this picture as it must be seen in a larger format to really enjoy ...

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-x2SCLfV/0/220bc1ae/X2/Rarotonga%20-%20Black%20Rock%20%281%20of%201%292-X2.jpg

As you continue you will finally arrive back at Avarua. Even if you don't do nothing else but go to Avarua and shop there are some stunning views to enjoy as well as fantastic flowers and fruits which you can see by walking in the long but skinny park that devides the directional traffic on the main street in Avarua.

Rarotonga%20-%20banana1%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

banana%20flower%20%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

Muri%20beach%20beach%20flower%204%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Muri%20beach%20beach%20flower%203%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Although, we’ve cruised a lot, this is our first trip to Tahiti. Your info has been great in helping our planning. But, I have a question that I haven’t seen posted yet.

We’re cruising Oceania and then going on to Bora Bora for a week. We’d like to leave a suitcase in storage at Papeete airport. Do you know if the luggage storage at the airport is secure? And how much it costs? Do they take US dollars?

I've never used the storage place as I usually have a rental car .... I'll ask the question on a large FP forum I belong to and get back to you.

Lets continue ....

Some beautiful compositions of the PG can be taken from the ocean side of the road in Avarua ...

Rarotonga%20-%20PG%20off%20of%20Avarua%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

A few more beautiful pictures of flowers and such ...

Ginger ...

Rarotonga%20-%20ginger%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Maybe a snack before I get on the tender ...

Rarotonga%20-%20banana2%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

banana%20ends%20%281%20of%201%292-XL.jpg

Finally it's time to say goodbye to Rarotonga ...

Rarotonga%20-%20last%20tender%20%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Next up will be Aitutaki ....

So here is the real skinny on your question. The bags are tagged and then placed in a storage area with someone there to watch them when open. Once the office is closed the storage area is locked. You are given a receipt so when you return they can give you the correct bag(s). They do take USD and you can also pay by CC.

sign-XL.jpg

sign%202-XL.jpg

Of course the fees are doubled if your on Oceania .... just kidding

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Onward to Aitutaki ....

We've been to Aitutaki seven times. Four by cruise ship and three staying at a property.

Air%20rarotonga%20%281%20of%201%29-M.jpg

instagram%20%283%20of%203%29-XL.jpg

Aitutaki is an easy island to love. A perfect lagoon and a relatively paradise that hasn't been found.

Most will only stay a day while on a ship or a day run from Rarotonga and because of that most hit the lagoon. Yest it is absolutely stunning but hanging on the island for the day has it's merits. This is a safe island to rent scooters on. Very little traffic and what traffic there is most is on scooters. Everyone that passes you on a scooter has a big smile on their face.

As usual I'm up early, love capturing the early morning light. Remember the best time for pictures is 1/2 hour before sunrise, 2 hours after sunrise, 2 hours before sunset and the 1/2 hour after sunset. Sure you can take all day long but the best lighting that will produce stunning colorful pictures happen at the times I mention.

As we approach Aitutaki I'm capturing that perfect light ....

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-HsPRGLh/0/0abd783b/X2/sunrise%202-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-txhwDgn/0/1ae1b562/X2/sunrise%20-%20first%20glimps%20of%20Aitutaki%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

And then you arrive ....

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-r86x6bf/0/70c45d79/X2/sunrise%20-%20first%20glimps%20of%20Aitutaki2%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

The ship will drift while your on Aitutaki. The ship can not go inside the lagoon so the tendering can be interesting. Aitutaki receives 75% of it's supplies by ship which visits once every two weeks. I remember one trip where the supply ship could not deliver due to weather. Finally two weeks late it delivered needed supplies. What two things were requested to be unloaded first? Toilet paper and ice-cream :)

Tendering into the main village ....

tendering%20to%20Aitutaki%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

We signed up for the ship's excursion "Lagoon Cruise with Beach Break". It visits motus in the lagoon, and includes a fish lunch on One Foot Island, with 2 hours after lunch to relax and snorkel. It's 6 hours all together so we won't have time for anything else at Atutaki. Is this too long to spend on a lagoon cruise for our first (and possibly last) trip to Atutaki? It's a long way from Florida to the Cook Islands so even taking a vacation there by air in the future may not happen. Thank you for all of your expert advice and photos. We're off to LAX tomorrow afternoon for our PG cruise leaving this weekend. We're already packed and ready to go. I hope I get a few hours of sleep tonight.

Before continuing on Aitutaki let me flash back to Rarotonga. With so many trips I have thousands of pictures so I found a few more useful photos for Rarotonga.

Here is 'Fruits of Rarotonga' .....

fruits%201%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

A place to sit and eat out of the sun ... just across the street ...

fruits%202%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Just in front of the shade area ... You can see people snorkeling close to shore as well as the lagoon tour boats further out ...

fruits%203%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

I'll continue on Aitutaki a little later today ...

Can you tell me what April/May is like weatherwise too?? So enjoying your journey, feel like we’re part of it already and we have to wait till 2019. But what fantastic reading and what a thrill to have such great info for our planning ahead, something that doesn’t happen with such detail for our other trips. You’re a wonderful storyteller and we’re just loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you tell me what April/May is like weatherwise too?? So enjoying your journey, feel like we’re part of it already and we have to wait till 2019. But what fantastic reading and what a thrill to have such great info for our planning ahead, something that doesn’t happen with such detail for our other trips. You’re a wonderful storyteller and we’re just loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

P

IMO May can be a bit windy

Thanks for the nice words :)

I’ll continue on Aitutaki tomorrow

We have thoroughly enjoyed your incredible photographs and trip advice.! We hope you will continue!

We are staying pre-cruise at the IC Tahiti - stayed there 10 years ago and can't wait to go back. Last time we didn't leave the resort because we enjoyed it so much. Any recommendations on "must do" for Tahiti?

Again, tremendous thanks for your wonderful contributions!