Newbie to cruising!!!!

justam84

I'm a 1st time cruiser and cruising on Carnival Valor in November and cant decide if i need to get a passport book or a passport card. I want to go the cheap route and get the card. Really need some suggestions!!!! Thx!!

And any suggestions as far as packing, excursions(Cozumel and Yucatan), and random ones for new cruise...

Depends on your cruise. Is it a closed loop? If it is, then you don't need the passport. I like having my passport and it does last 10 years so it's worth the expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a closed loop, im going to get the book, thank you!!1

Welcome to cruising. I fully agree with your decision to get a passport. If you become addicted to cruising as many others have, you'll not regret having it for the next ten years.

I hope you'll let us know if you enjoy your cruise.

Happy sailing.

What do you mean IF you become addicted? I don't know anyone who didn't become a cruise addict after their first one.

Excursion suggestion for Cozumel - check out Chankanaab Marine park (Google search). They have lots to do there including dolphin swims (expensive). If you do one of their programs, you get access to the park for the day. We did the manatee encounter/swim and it was amazing. You learned lots about these gentle animals and got to feed them and swim in the lagoon with them. Reasonable price too. They don't do tricks or anything.... You just feed them and get lettuce to take with you when swimming. They REALLY like lettuce.

When you enter the park they will try to sell you a lunch package. There are several places to grab a bite. Don't need to submit to the hard sell lunch. Also hard sell are the photos they take during your programs... Hard to resist these expensive pictures.

Have also done the Carnival offered ATV adventure with Beach Break. Really enjoyed that excursion too (first time on an ATV for me). We had a blast.

Enjoy whatever you decide on and be prepared for your new addiction.

Excursion suggestion for Cozumel - check out Chankanaab Marine park (Google search). They have lots to do there including dolphin swims (expensive). If you do one of their programs, you get access to the park for the day. We did the manatee encounter/swim and it was amazing. You learned lots about these gentle animals and got to feed them and swim in the lagoon with them. Reasonable price too. They don't do tricks or anything.... You just feed them and get lettuce to take with you when swimming. They REALLY like lettuce.

When you enter the park they will try to sell you a lunch package. There are several places to grab a bite. Don't need to submit to the hard sell lunch. Also hard sell are the photos they take during your programs... Hard to resist these expensive pictures.

I second the Chankanaab excursion! We liked the snorkeling there as well as the sea lion show! There's a lot to do for both adults and kids!

We always sail to the Caribbean with only BC and DL...not a big deal. You will not be kept captive in another country! If you have major medical issues, then probably sailing isn't for you. The odds of something happening that would cause you to have to fly home are slim. BUT...you can get home...just takes some jumping thru hoops, should that occur. It's rare,if you're healthy and on time for sail away!

We always sail to the Caribbean with only BC and DL...not a big deal. You will not be kept captive in another country! If you have major medical issues, then probably sailing isn't for you. The odds of something happening that would cause you to have to fly home are slim. BUT...you can get home...just takes some jumping thru hoops, should that occur. It's rare,if you're healthy and on time for sail away!

I can't believe that someone with 85000 posts just said this. You should know better!

Op, we have both the passport book and card, We keep the card in our wallet at all times. In case of an emergency the passport can literally save your life! Why spend days in a foreign hospital when you can fly home ASAP? Don't forget travelers insurance too.