Travel Insurance for RSSC Cruises

Even better IMHO is Steve at www.Tripinsurancestore.com

I'll give another thumbs up for the trip insurance store.

I read positive reviews on CC and have been happy.

My father is traveling on Regent and will be 81.

The insurance quote was for 10% of the trip.

My thought was to insure the trip for a fraction of the total cost

as I am mostly interested in the medical.

Any thoughts?

Neal

I'll give another thumbs up for the trip insurance store.

I read positive reviews on CC and have been happy.

My father is traveling on Regent and will be 81.

The insurance quote was for 10% of the trip.

My thought was to insure the trip for a fraction of the total cost

as I am mostly interested in the medical.

Any thoughts?

Neal

Hear I am again Neal. Really easy. Insured my last cruise thru Steve and thought I needed additional cancellation coverage based on the price of the trip and the credit card coverage we had. Also wanted pre-existing coverage so within the time required bought a policy for the minimum amount, $500 PP planning on upping the coverage as penalties kicked in. Then the cruise came down in price quite a bit so that we didn't need the cancellation coverage any more and since we couldn't get back the minimal amount we paid, reread the policy and thought we still would have all of the coverages except cancellation.

Contacted Steve and he agreed that we would have the full amount all of the coverages but, only the $500 PP for the cancellation. At the end of the cruise DW had some issues needing to see the doctor so was glad we had the extra coverage to cover what her retiree medical didn't cover. Came home, filed with reitee medical and got back a few bucks. Then filed with the insurance and while it took awhile, they are covering the balance of the medical bill so, yes it works.

Just take the minimum coverage based on the price of the trip and your father's age and he will be covered medically and evacuation up to the full amount of the policies coverage. Unfortunately you are probably too late for pre-existing condition coverage but, you can get covered for a minimal amount for a minimal charge.

Good luck and hope your Father and friend have a wonderful cruise.

Hi Everyone Took your advise and started another thread regarding travel insurance for our Regent cruises.

This is an important subject for many of us. We are getting up in years. This is not about whether or not to insure our cruises. It's about how to get the best insurance for the entire cost of our journey, including medical coverage, as the lowest cost possible. We all want the best coverage possible at the lowest cost available at a reputable insurance company.

Any ideas, recommendations and suggestions are welcome.

Regards

Sheila

Greetings, Bellaggio Cruisers, from South Beach. We faced the exact same problem, Sheila, We also felt our insurance should cover pre existing conditions. Last week, following advice from other RSSC cruisers, we consulted Steve Tripinsurancestore.com. Steve is the owner of the firm, and his company meets all of your and my requirements. I dealt with staff members, purchasing the Classic package. The whole thing was efficient and the price, excellent.

In this process, I learned that this kind of insurance must be purchased and paid in full within a fixed time frame after

cruise purchase. Since I'd booked the cruise I wanted to insure this way on board, the time frame to do so had passed. I thought we could simply cancel our current booking and do it over with the Classic policy. Turns out, that was a no no. Transferring the deposit to another cruise was also a no no. All sorts of complicated doings ensued. In any case, we have proper insurance now. I will use this company for all future cruises.

Happy cruising,

Mary

Edited by warburg
Error

Reading through the thread so far it appears that most responders indicate that they don't use the insurance option from the cruise line themselves due to cost or coverage issues. Be interesting to know if those using the cruise line own insurance did OK in claims other than cost/coverage of original policy. I would like to think that even the cruise like's own insurance would be reasonable easy or easier than through outside carriers. But it seems like other carriers if you are careful is the way to go in order to get the exact package of coverage right for your own situation and health.

Greetings from South Beach, Onkel Ken. In the past, we always insured our trips with ships' insurance. On the one occasion when we had to use it, everything worked out very well. We were insured for a TA on O's Riviera in 2016. Suddenly, three weeks before departure, DH started having severe headaches. A cat scan revealed a carotid artery emergency. Our physician prescribed immediate intervention, and no travel. We notified Oceania. It turned out no travel meant for five months and we had to cancel a RSSC cruise as well. Not a happy time.

As for the ship's insurance, it worked beautifully. The insurer made the process as easy as possible. Our claim was paid in full, and quickly too. We used ship's insurance after that for a couple of cruises. However, at our currents ages, a bit more caution is in order.

Mary

• 1 month later...
Here is a link to the Chase Sapphire Reserve benefits. We have this card, and downgraded our Amex Platinum to Gold. Would have just cancelled Amex out right, but have a long established credit history with Amex (back to the 70's) so don't want to interrupt that history.

You can expand any of the categories to learn more details. There is also an option to download a PDF of the specific terms of coverage.

https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/sapphirereserve/travel

I use a MileagePlus Explorer card for most of my travel and take advantage of the $10,000 Cancellation/Interruption to reduce my travel insurance costs. Or at least I used to do that.

I received a letter from Chase today with new “benefits” of the MileagePlus cards(Explorer and Club Card). Their trip cancellation/interruption coverage now is just $1,500 per trip.

I am thinking it might be time to switch to the Sapphire Reserve card. Before I do that I thought I would ask, have any of you Sapphire Reserve card holders received any communication from Chase about changes in the coverage provided?

Comparing quotes from tripinsurancestore.com it looks like the difference in premiums would more than cover the $450 credit card annual fee, as long as the coverage doesn’t get cut from the current $10,000.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I use a MileagePlus Explorer card for most of my travel and take advantage of the $10,000 Cancellation/Interruption to reduce my travel insurance costs. Or at least I used to do that.

I received a letter from Chase today with new “benefits” of the MileagePlus cards(Explorer and Club Card). Their trip cancellation/interruption coverage now is just $1,500 per trip.

I am thinking it might be time to switch to the Sapphire Reserve card. Before I do that I thought I would ask, have any of you Sapphire Reserve card holders received any communication from Chase about changes in the coverage provided?

Comparing quotes from tripinsurancestore.com it looks like the difference in premiums would more than cover the $450 credit card annual fee, as long as the coverage doesn’t get cut from the current $10,000.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We changed to Chase Sapphire last year and love it. We have not received any notification of a decreased benefit.

No credit card will cover your medical care or emergency evacuation. You need to carry a minimum of $1 million dollars of said coverage on long distance cruises. Pre existing conditions must usually be purchased within 30 days of booking. Talk to a professional travel agent rep to determine what fits your needs. It is not inexpensive to get the coverage needed for long haul trips, but it is well worth cost, considering your liability if not covered.

CC insurance has so many holes in their policies which are escape clauses. You can put a claim in and be denied and then you have to appeal and maybe get a partial reimbursement. We carry the real stuff including an umbrella policy and MedJet. We don’t mess with CC insurance credit card. We had a large suite on another luxury line that cost over 100K for the two of us and we had to cancel due to illness and we were totally reimbursed from our insurance carrier. I doubt the CC companies are going to cover that amount without a fight. You take your chances at any age.