Attempting to understand Explore 4

comfortcove

I am not clear on a few details, as I haven't booked a HAL cruise in about two years. We are looking at two lengthy itineraries for Fall 2018, Europe with potentially our very first transatlantic, of which we hope to choose one and book. It appears that Explore 4 is available for both booking with HAL. Prices are higher than on the few online TA sites I checked. Is Explore 4 only available when booking through HAL, but not through TA's? Also, I am not familiar with the new non-refundable deposits. Thanks for any guidance on both Explore 4 and the new non-refundable fares. I know about non-refundable fares in final payment window, but this is new to us.

All I know is that when I asked my cruise line rep about switching to explore ⁴ it would have increased the cost far more than it would have been worth.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

You can book a cruise with Explore 4 with HAL or with a TA. It's good to ask for pricing with and without. Explore 4 used to be a good promo, but lately they raise the prices so much that it isn't worth it. The biggest value in the Ex4 is the beverage program, and only you can decide it it's worth it to you.

The nonrefundable deposit is something I haven't had to deal with, so can't help you on that.

Only one time was Explore4 worth it to us. The upcharge was about what the service charge would be, so we'd be paying that money out anyway; and Explore4 (at that time) included the service charge as well as beverage package, Pinnacle, etc. For our cruise next year the additional cost would have been about $400 each, and would not have included service charge. I couldn't justify it for us.

When I booked with HAL for next year, I was offered the Explore4 and 2 dinners in the Pinnacle. The other was the non-refundable deposit option and a price difference of $200 each. I decided that the savings was worth more to us. I looked at a beverage menu and knew we would not spend $400. I figure if we don't go, I can get my deposit back under the travel insurance I have. I was also told, the Explore4 promotion was expiring mid November for my cruise.

Many thanks for the insights, it is a whole new booking experience. We will not book until next week, but I am doing the homework. It appears that it is either the Explore 4 with no deposit required at all, or the non-refundable full fare required option on these two longer sailings. Interesting strategy on HAL's part!

Not knowing what the future holds being as we are older citizens, I would book only with the refundable deposits.

We had the Explore4 package a couple of times that included the Signature beverage package. I kept track of the drinks we had everyday. For us -- we would never consider buying the Signature Beverage as we do not drink a lot.

You definitely have to do your home work for cruises and what is included and if the "perks" are worth it.