Bright fluorescent light mounted outside OV and Obstructed OV on Deck 8???

Wishing on a star

I did a couple searches, but do not seem to be finding any good info.

One specific post about the light shining right into the window.

There are different lights mounted on the overhang, right outside most of these cabins.

If we can't budget for a balcony, maybe we should suck it up and consider one of the smaller, standard OV layout, cabins on Deck 5.

I did a couple searches, but do not seem to be finding any good info.

One specific post about the light shining right into the window.

There are different lights mounted on the overhang, right outside most of these cabins.

If we can't budget for a balcony, maybe we should suck it up and consider one of the smaller, standard OV layout, cabins on Deck 5.

There are many things to consider when choosing an obstructed oceanview.

- there are some lights outside your window but you can always close the curtains at night; sometimes, your neighbor will leave a light on out on their balcony ... so could have the same issue there

- there are tender boats or lifeboats that might be right in front or next to your window; choose a room behind the lifeboats instead if you have a cruise with any tender ports. While they will drop and test the lifeboats and tender boats during the cruise, it probably won't happen as early in the morning as when they drop the tenders while in port.

- the OV rooms on deck 5 are subject to some noise (from what I've read on these boards)

- some cabins on deck 8 are above noisy locations; look at the deck plans to see what is below (theaters, martini bar, lounges) -- a good thing to have below you is the photo booth area

- especially midship, there are a lot of crew members that will be working on the little boats right outside your window; be sure to close the drapes if you are not clothed or doing anything else that you don't want them to see. Remember, you can see them so they can see you!

There is a site by Renmar that is invaluable when choosing an obstructed OV cabin; I highly recommend checking this out:

https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/

not all obstructed ov rooms are created equal

We almost always book one of these cabins on deck 8. The location is ideal for us and they usually cost just a little more than an inside cabin. If you choose the right one, you will get plenty of natural light. While there are a few drawbacks as listed above, you can still have a very wonderful cruise if you can live with those things listed above. We swear by these cabins, especially if it is not within our budget to book a balcony or better. I would choose one of these long before considering one on deck 5.

I’ve had many OV cabins on Emerald deck on a variety of ships and in different locations. I close the curtains at night. Any bright light issue is immediately eliminated. Never had a problem. Heck, never noticed any bright lights. Just close the curtains.

Do you have a cabin selected, or Guarantee?

I am no expert, and have not been on the Grand.

But, am getting pretty good at finding info.

This is what I am seeing with a quick look.

It seems that some cabins (perhaps the ones that sleep 3-4) are the standard OV layout with the bed up to the window. The pull-down berths are hanging on the wall, and do take up space.

Some cabins (perhaps the ones that sleep only two?) have a Balcony layout, with the bed on the side wall, and the window is accessible.

Check the deck plans to see the lifeboats that will obstruct the views. (Also, be aware that the 'white box' will be a big obstruction for those cabins)

There is also renwar's website with photos of Obstructed OV cabins.

It looks like the tenders are usually outside of 414 - 418, and 415-419, but might not be showing in some of the photos on this web-site?

There are many things to consider when choosing an obstructed oceanview.

- there are some lights outside your window but you can always close the curtains at night; sometimes, your neighbor will leave a light on out on their balcony ... so could have the same issue there

- there are tender boats or lifeboats that might be right in front or next to your window; choose a room behind the lifeboats instead if you have a cruise with any tender ports. While they will drop and test the lifeboats and tender boats during the cruise, it probably won't happen as early in the morning as when they drop the tenders while in port.

- the OV rooms on deck 5 are subject to some noise (from what I've read on these boards)

- some cabins on deck 8 are above noisy locations; look at the deck plans to see what is below (theaters, martini bar, lounges) -- a good thing to have below you is the photo booth area

- especially midship, there are a lot of crew members that will be working on the little boats right outside your window; be sure to close the drapes if you are not clothed or doing anything else that you don't want them to see. Remember, you can see them so they can see you!

There is a site by Renmar that is invaluable when choosing an obstructed OV cabin; I highly recommend checking this out:

https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/

not all obstructed ov rooms are created equal

We almost always book one of these cabins on deck 8. The location is ideal for us and they usually cost just a little more than an inside cabin. If you choose the right one, you will get plenty of natural light. While there are a few drawbacks as listed above, you can still have a very wonderful cruise if you can live with those things listed above. We swear by these cabins, especially if it is not within our budget to book a balcony or better. I would choose one of these long before considering one on deck 5.

Thanks for sharing. This is all good to know before booking.

Tony

Thanks Lucky!

Can you tell me why this seems to be a no-brainer, for you, over Deck 5?

This is all very speculative... and far in advance.... But a balcony on the itinerary we are looking at for our next cruise comes at a real premium. I keep going back and forth about being close to the Piazza and Int'l Cafe, on Plaza... no obstruction at all. etc. OR the better cabin layout, like balcony cabins, on Deck 8.

On a cruise with many sea days... I wonder if the window on Plaza Deck would become so 'coated' and obscured that it would be pretty significant.

I also wonder, when out on open seas, will the rolling waves possibly be coming up to the window on Deck 5?

I have found a really un-obstructed cabin, mid-ship on Deck 8... Nothing really out there but that overhang.

Maybe I should just suck it up about the huge rectangular fluorescent light on that overhang, just outside the very window.

I am not talking a neighboring cabins balcony light. I am talking about a 3 foot rectangular fluorescent light. Right outside, Shining directly in.

I just know that would bother me.

Don't know if the curtains could full block it.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Don't think I have been on a ship yet were there weren't 2 sets of drapes in the cabin. One a sheer drape to let in the light and the second heavier drape that was a black out drape. I have always had to leave the heavier drape open a bit at night just so I knew when it was daylight. The heavier drape blocks out everything.

I keep going back and forth about being close to the Piazza and Int'l Cafe, on Plaza... no obstruction at all. etc. OR the better cabin layout, like balcony cabins, on Deck 8.

Our preference is Deck 5 if the price is right, for the convenient location you mention. I wasn't aware of "better" cabin layout between Deck 5 and 8. My memory, which isn't necessarily as sharp these days ;), is that they were all similar.

On a cruise with many sea days... I wonder if the window on Plaza Deck would become so 'coated' and obscured that it would be pretty significant.

We have done numerous TAs (and Caribbean cruises) in a cabin on Plaza and while the window is not pristine, the view is not obscured.

I also wonder, when out on open seas, will the rolling waves possibly be coming up to the window on Deck 5?

I don't recall this happening, but we did have noticeable spray in balcony cabin A243 (Aloha or Deck 12) one windy day on a western caribbean itinerary.

I have found a really un-obstructed cabin, mid-ship on Deck 8... Nothing really out there but that overhang. Maybe I should just suck it up about the huge rectangular fluorescent light on that overhang, just outside the very window.

We have had a similar cabin as well as others on Deck 8 and don't recall an exterior light being a problem.

We almost always have a cabin on Deck 5 or on Deck 8 on the Grand and Crown class ships. I've put my responses up above in red. Hope this helps.

Just saw some video of very very rough seas, from lower OV cabins....

: O

I think we might go with that cabin on Deck 8!!!

I saw some similar videos and that reason alone made me WANT to book a window cabin on the 5th deck. Why would anyone want to avoid such an exciting event as to have the sea all the way up to your window? I was giggling with delight when I watched the videos. So I've now booked window cabins on two different cruises. One was a 15 day Hawaii cruise across the Pacific Ocean. What a disappointment. Never once did we hit any heavy seas--no waves higher than our window. The motion is negligible down there, too. The lower you are on a ship, less motion to notice.

Window cabins on the 5th and 6th decks (depending on ships) are now my favorite. I love the quick accessibility to everything and never having to wait for an elevator after returning to the ship. Still have my fingers cross we'll get a stormy day where I can sit and watch the sealife from my window. ;p

Did you watch the one where the Lady is saying... 'Okay... Now I am looking for fish!!!'

Hahahaha!!!!

We did recently have a very nice OV on Deck Six. Loved it!!!

PS: Since there does not seem to be a lot of info or comments... I am going to assume that the exterior lighting is not a big issue... Hoping to book an 'unobstructed' Obsructed OV for a future cruise!

Did you watch the one where the Lady is saying... 'Okay... Now I am looking for fish!!!'

Hahahaha!!!!

We did recently have a very nice OV on Deck Six. Loved it!!!

PS: Since there does not seem to be a lot of info or comments... I am going to assume that the exterior lighting is not a big issue... Hoping to book an 'unobstructed' Obsructed OV for a future cruise!

Yes! That was the one that SOLD ME on the idea of a cabin on 5 or 6. Who wouldn't want that experience??? :D

When the seas are rough and everyone is stuck in their cabins with nothing but a tv or a book, we could have a Jacques Cousteau under the sea adventure.

Just thought I would post this picture, provided by ROWSE...

This was in 2010... We are looking at this cabin on the Starboard side...

Can't imagine why that rectangular light is hanging where it is, like shining right in that window????

I've seen other photos, on a sister ship, where the lights are different. Like recessed on the other, far, side of that beam that runs along the ceiling.

Still an excellent cabin for an obstructed OV!

attachment.php?attachmentid=147108&d=1266598095