code red

espresso68

Goldenrod

Just wondering if a hazmat suit would be the appropriate attire for Regent [emoji16], perhaps you could dress it up with a scarf!

Kidding aside she probably caught the cold on the flight getting to the cruise ship! It's best to sit on the plane as close to the front as possible. Air flow goes front to back!

Ron

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Loved your post! Hazmat may be the latest trend in cruise wear (as long as it isn't denim):evilsmile:

We do sit as far front of the plane as we can. That is definitely good information!

My concern tends to center around the buffet. I am not much of a buffet person but love it when Regent does Greek or Indian buffets on the pool deck. If it were not for that, we would dine in CR every day that we were onboard the ship for lunch (or, if on the Explorer, we'd dine in P7 or Chartreuse). We have sea days intermingled with port days on our upcoming 25 night Mariner cruise. I will make a special effort to avoid the buffet at lunch. But, if there is something special on the pool deck, I may get some and take it down to CR where I could order a salad, drinks and a dessert.

IMO, as long as passengers that are sick board the ship, we as passengers need to be proactive. While it is fun to joke about this issue, it isn't funny when you are sick and miss the enjoyment of your cruise. I will be reporting from the ship on a cruise that I really never wanted to take (the Amazon). I will also report whether or not we encounter people that are not well and/or if the ship goes "code red" (hopefully this will not happen). It has been our experience that cruising during the months of November/December/January are the worst in terms of illness. However, this year, the Mariner has been on code red during the summer and early fall. Not a good thing!

I emailed the other 6 other people in my family who will be boarding Mariner at the end of the month to please get their flu shot ASAP! Some of them need a goose to get anything done. I'll also continue to fortify my gut flora as usual in the hopes it can help mitigate any GI issues. PaulaJK, I appreciate your attitude regarding people who have non contagious coughs since one of our group is my 91 year old Mother in Law who has COPD, which causes an intermittent cough that sounds very nasty! She is really embarrassed when she has a coughing spell in public and I am very concerned about it now that there will surely be a "heightened awareness" on the ship regarding coughing passengers. I will say she is very good about staying home (or in her cabin) if she knows she is having a bad coughing day. Having said that, If you are on our cruise and find yourself around a little old lady who sounds like she has TB, my apologies in advance!

When people cover their mouths, it is less of a concern. It is also helpful if you are in a bus or sitting behind someone in a theater to mention to those sitting in front of you that you aren't sick. Unfortunately, it is difficult to tell if someone is sick or not when they are coughing,

Flu shots are definitely a good idea. We get ours every year. And, for older people, the pneumonia shot can save lives.

I couldn't agree more TC. My MIL will definitely make it known to those around her that she is not sick. I have a hard time being around her when she starts coughing so I can only imagine how total strangers will feel, and I don't blame anyone who is bothered by it. This will be an ambitious trip for her and I have very mixed feelings about her going, but as the Daughter in Law, it ain't gonna be me who tells her not to go!

I couldn't agree more TC. My MIL will definitely make it known to those around her that she is not sick. I have a hard time being around her when she starts coughing so I can only imagine how total strangers will feel, and I don't blame anyone who is bothered by it. This will be an ambitious trip for her and I have very mixed feelings about her going, but as the Daughter in Law, it ain't gonna be me who tells her not to go!

I applaud you for taking her on the trip. You are a wonderful Daughter in Law! Hopefully she will rest when she needs to and not try to push herself too much. This should be a definite highlight of her life.

Thank you for those kind words TC. It takes a village and fortunately my 3 Sisters in Law are going too. Being with the family means so much to MIL, and between all of us I'm sure we can make sure she has a great cruise. I do worry about her being vulnerable to what ever illness may be going around the ship, but hopefully it will have run it's course by months end. I'll be checking for any daily updates!

The biggest issue is other passengers.

A quick story. On our last cruise with Princess (Regent convert), my DW and I were in line for the buffet there was a crew member at the entrance line asking everyone to use the sanitizer. The couple in front of us ignored the crew member and just walked in. Both my wife and, without being asked, used the sanitizer. we did not enter. The crew member asked us to go in. I said in a sort of loud voice "I want to see what side of the buffet they go down" some of the passengers followed us even though the line on the other side was shorter. The crew member had a good laugh. We always try to follow the rules and the crew direction. Sorry, one more story. I have an internal fit when men, after doing their business and just walk out of the restroom without washing!:( O BTW I am an OF.

Several of the GM's have told me over the years that the worst Norovirus outbreaks most often happen after the beginning of a new cruise segment in just a few ports. Most notable Lima and to a lesser extent Bangkok and Rio. Speculation is the embarking passengers that have arrived a few days early and done a land package; Machu Picchu, Angkor Watt ,Iguaçu Falls, etc and are picking up the bug locally and then spreading it once on the ship.

J

I'm starting to think I should go ahead pack my own, salt and pepper shakers for our cruise in January.

You are probably not going to need your own shakers on your cruise, most cruises do not have a Code Red, but maybe you could bring a few paper packages of salt and pepper like those at a fast food restaurant. You can't bring all of your own condiments: ketchup, mustard, hot sauce, where do you stop? Your best bet is to take care of yourself - flu shot, hand washing, vitamin C, and stay away from people who are sneezing and look sick.

I've been known to bring my own mustard in case they only have brown Dijon type mustard. A few little packets take up no room. I want yellow mustard on my pool grill hot dogs. Last couple of cruises they did have yellow mustard so packets stayed in suitcase, but in code red I would have them.

Agree - most cruises are not Code Red and what is going on with the Mariner is definitely an anomaly. Having it begin in Alaska in the middle of summer is strange.

In general, during the late fall and winter months is when people get sick. You may be fine at home then get on an airplane and pick up a bug but will not become sick until you are on the ship. Then there are the people that are sick and almost feel like they must lie on the health questionnaire or they may not be able to board and would lose 100% of their cruise fare.

Regarding salt and pepper ...... it isn't like you can't have salt and/or pepper on your food, the server just needs to serve it to you (as they do when they put pepper from the pepper mill on your salad). Having to ask for salt/pepper and bread every time you need it obviously causes a lot more work for the servers.

If the Mariner goes into Code Red during our 25 night cruise next month, we'll likely avoid La Veranda as having to be served every item from the buffet is tedious and it is difficult to get exactly what you want. I'm not sure that serving people at the buffet even prevents the spread of viruses as on Oceania you are always served on the buffet and one of their ships has had continuing problems with norovirus. I would rather see them hand out a glove or napkin to use on the utensils (but I have no idea if the germs wouldn't be spread even if you use gloves/napkins).

Maybe I'm an optimist but I believe that the ship will be clear soon (if it isn't already). As I mentioned previously, when there is Code Red on the ship and some passengers continue on to the next leg, if they are sick, the spread of the illness can continue.

With almost 200 day’s on Regent, almost 100 on Silversea, and a smattering on Oceania and celebrity, I have never encountered a code red situation. Don’t want to, but putting it all in perspective, an individual cruiser is relatively unlikely to encounter one.

My husband was once on some blood pressure medication that made him cough incessantly. He sounded like a person with TB. We went on a cruise during this time, and I recall having to constantly tell people he was not sick or contagious. When we got home, his meds got changed. So please don’t assume that a person with a cough has anything contagious.

Unfortunately, we have experienced code red on Celebrity, on different ships. After about 3 cruises in a row with code red, on my next I patiently waited at the buffet to be served, before I realized there was not a code and I could serve myself!

Here's hoping our upcoming Voyager cruise is a healthy one.

TC, if Regent hasn't gotten rid of the Code Red by the November cruises (when you sail), we would all appreciate it if you could wipe down and clean up the whole ship for those of us that sail after you. I think that would be a great use of 25 days on the ship! Just kidding, but what the heck take extra cleaning products with you and hand them out to everyone! :eek:

Lots of information as well as many invitations for relativity on this issue. Of course each person should do as they think relevant/comfortable. One would require more than a mask (It's mode of communication is not airborne) or hazmat suit to defeat the nasty norovirus.

And if I had just exited the ladies room where I had washed and then sanitized my hands before getting in the buffet line I would not be endeared by the shout out or giggles of the crew.

As various posters state, one in the cabin becomes ill and the other does not so individual microbiomes and immunological factors are important. Also is information as the number of people who have dry hacking coughs caused by allergies, COPD or other conditions is legion and folks w allergies often have sneezing as a symptom.

Before the arrows start, I strongly support regular hand washing and coverage when coughing on sneezing ( better into your upper arm than hand) . Do I think that we will find this? No...or at least, probably not.

BTW a few years back there was a story in the NYTimes about a reputed chef's design of his new kitchen. The bathroom automatically locked until the user had washed his hands! Yet in today's NYT there is a Q&A response to a writer' s query about someone using their chess set after not washing. Rather surprising response..

"Surely you don't think your friend's nasty habit is the filthiest one you encounter on any given day. (Hello subway poles.) Try to keep quiet about other people's hygiene. We are all filthy beasts." A little factual info missing here!

I will be the person wearing my white cotton gloves on the Mariner sailing October 27. I do receive strange looks and comments at the grocery store, doctors office, etc., but I am never sick. I wear a clean pair daily,

wash them all at the end of the week. You can buy a dozen on Amazon for about $10. I have 2 dozen so I can wear 2 clean pair a day if needed.

Also get my flu shot every year and the pneumonia ones finished as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree that norovirus is not airborne - however, a mask could remind us not to touch our nose or mouth. Also, when someone has a cold and sneezes, it could prevent airborne germs from getting into our noses and mouths. Our discussion of hazmat suits was only in jest.

I strongly agree with hand washing, but, as you stated, too many people do not do this. So, to protect those of us that do, and can walk out of a bathroom with "clean" hands and then touch something that has been infected by others, the "peroxide based" wipes (not alcohol based wipes) can give us the protection that we have lost from the time we left the bathroom until we sit down to eat (or until we touch our mouth or nose).

Peroxide based wipes are fairly new to non-hospital employees. Many of us on CC state that the typical wipes that we see (alcohol based) do not work on norovirus. So, now that something has been proven to protect against norovirus. Amongst the list provided by the Center for Disease Control are:

Peroxide Multi Surface Cleaner and Disinfectant

Clorox HL, HW, QS and HS

On Amazon.com you can purchase:

Saalfeld 30825 Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner Disinfectant Wipes, Kills Norovirus, HIV Rotavirus

Cloro Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner Disinfectant Spray, Kills Norovirus

Dreumex USA Inc 69804R Monk Disinfectant Wipes

I will be the person wearing my white cotton gloves on the Mariner sailing October 27. I do receive strange looks and comments at the grocery store, doctors office, etc., but I am never sick. I wear a clean pair daily,

wash them all at the end of the week. You can buy a dozen on Amazon for about $10. I have 2 dozen so I can wear 2 clean pair a day if needed.

Also get my flu shot every year and the pneumonia ones finished as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great idea:D

Talk about a big code red worm can! I could go on and on about this topic as I observe some pretty egregious food safety and hygiene lapses wherever I go. I would like to add something that was taught to me by my Mom and I have tried to teach my Kids and Grandkids. If possible, pull your shirt up over your mouth and nose whenever you cough or sneeze, that way you keep it completely to yourself! What good does it do to cough in to one's hand, only to touch a hundred objects thereafter? Using one's elbow is better, but hardly contains the particles that fly out at an alarming rate of speed. Trust me, you have no idea how wet sneezes can be until you've sneezed directly on your chest! It may not look "proper," but I don't think anyone around me has ever complained when I cough or sneeze next to them!

Talk about a big code red worm can! I could go on and on about this topic as I observe some pretty egregious food safety and hygiene lapses wherever I go. I would like to add something that was taught to me by my Mom and I have tried to teach my Kids and Grandkids. If possible, pull your shirt up over your mouth and nose whenever you cough or sneeze, that way you keep it completely to yourself! What good does it do to cough in to one's hand, only to touch a hundred objects thereafter? Using one's elbow is better, but hardly contains the particles that fly out at an alarming rate of speed. Trust me, you have no idea how wet sneezes can be until you've sneezed directly on your chest! It may not look "proper," but I don't think anyone around me has ever complained when I cough or sneeze next to them!

I know that your post is serious as is the subject but I had to laugh at the visual of all Regent customers lifting their shirts/blouses so they can cough/sneeze into it. If I cough or sneeze, I do so into a tissue and then wash my hands. If a sink isn't available, I use a peroxide base wipe which I keep in my handbag. For those that have not yet sailed on the Explorer, there is a sink in the entrance of La Veranda and on the pool deck.

Unfortunately peroxide alone does not kill norovirus. A combination of both peroxide and good old Clorox does. However I've never seen the combination in hand wipes. In spray I have. So do we go around with spray bottles, I don't think so.

You can buy the hand wipes brand "Wet Ones" in any market or drug stores. Supposedly their anti-bacterial agent with the combination of alcohol is effective against Norovirus. Now as far as cloth gloves IMO are not wise. They would hold any bacteria on any surface touched in the cloth! Just be careful!

My problem is with buffets. I know that many like to serve themselves, however for health reasons it's better that the crew serve you. Too many hands touching the serving utensils is a potential for disaster! You may have washed your hands, did the person before you and before them and so on. It's like in public bathrooms; you may have washed your hands, but when you touch the door handle did the person who exited before you wash his/her hands!

The best for everyone is good old fashion hand washing with soap and water. Or a anti-bacterial hand wipe!

Ron

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Ron, hospitals use the peroxide based products listed on the CDC website. They come in wipes and they make the claim that it is effective for nirovirus. I'm just taking their their word for it.

As I mentioned, Oceania buffets are not self serve and their ships get as many cases of nirovirus as Regent (if not more). Based on this, I'm clueless in terms of how to handle buffets. If Regent's specialty buffets were not so amazingly yummy, I would avoid them completely.