In Room Announcements

iamcsm

Do we have any control over in room announcements?

Not sure if we have no control, or if I just haven't been smart enough to figure it out. I'm certain some would like all in room announcements off, but there are times that I would like to turn them on. My hearing isn't the greatest and I can't hear most of what is said from the hallway speakers. I think I've only heard certain types of announcements in the room. It even seems like the volume adjuster doesn't work. Just curious if we have any control over this or not.

I think the only announcements you will hear in your cabin are emergency ones. I know on Allure we never heard the ones in the morning telling us we could get off the ship. We just went downstairs about the time we figured we would be cleared.

Seems to depends on the ship.

On the Adventure recently, in a Grand Suite, there were three separate volume control knobs. One for the bathroom, one for the main room, one for the vanity area. All three controlled the announcement volume - including turning them off.

I've been on other ships in junior suites, where the volume knob located near the vanity area, did nothing.

Dan.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

There are knobs, but they don't work on most ships. Typically, emergency announcements are the only ones you hear in your cabin and your first exposure to that is at muster drill on embarkation day. They will usually hold a crew drill during the cruise and those will come through too. They normally do crew drills late mornings after everyone is awake and while the ship is in port somewhere. I wish that I could turn on the captain's messages when I am in my cabin at noon, but alas, I usually have to open the door to listen.

There are knobs, but they don't work on most ships. Typically, emergency announcements are the only ones you hear in your cabin and your first exposure to that is at muster drill on embarkation day. They will usually hold a crew drill during the cruise and those will come through too. They normally do crew drills late mornings after everyone is awake and while the ship is in port somewhere. I wish that I could turn on the captain's messages when I am in my cabin at noon, but alas, I usually have to open the door to listen.

Yes, these are ones I would really like to hear. I do the same, listen through a slightly opened door. Ugh!