A Short Carnival Sensation Review!

ScottyZkaaayk

:)

I really enjoyed reading your review. The Sensation was my first cruise too, except she was brand new back then!
a

we are back on sensation she was one of our first ones back on November 20 th. So will review after our trip glad you enjoyed your first cruise

We are on a transatlantic crossing before hand.

:)a

we are back on sensation she was one of our first ones back on November 20 th. So will review after our trip glad you enjoyed your first cruise

We are on a transatlantic crossing before hand.

INov 20th sailing as well. Glad you enjoyed. Straw market.........It's an experience LOL

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Thanks for your review! I was on this cruise as well; glad to hear you enjoyed your first and are hooked like the rest of us. :) Wasn't the weather just perfect? Beautiful every day.

Btw I'm a Scott and also work in nursing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We absolutely LOVE road trips so it was decided very easily that we would drive down to Miami from where live before the cruise. We left home at about 9:30 PM Thursday the 14th and just took our time driving while stopping every few hours to switch drivers, potty, and stretch our legs. We had already booked a hotel in Melbourne, Florida for Friday night since we thought it would be best to stop there, sleep, and be well rested for when we finally arrived at the port as opposed to driving the whole way and sleeping the first day away on the ship (I learned very quickly that it is, in fact, a "ship" and not a "boat", eek!).

I'm glad you both had a great time. I enjoyed your review. I think a lot of us can relate to some of your Bahama experiences - underwhelmed by conch fritters and overwhelmed by the Straw Market. I've never drank from a fresh coconut in the Bahamas, but we have in Hawaii. Coconut milk isn't my first choice for refreshing drink, but fresh coconut meat is delicious!! Did you try the meat? Why didn't you guys bring your new snorkel equipment on-shore? That's about the only thing we like to do in Nassau, or Freeport for that matter.

As for road trip, I think you have a few more hours on the road than we do -our trip is 14 hours- but we used to do the same thing, leave at night and drive straight through, only stopping for the essential needs. Now that we're in our 50's, driving until late into the night and through the morning just doesn't work for us anymore. It takes too long to recover from the drive. Dh gets really cranky, and I just can't stay awake at the wheel at night. So, now we leave at 4:00 am and drive during the day.

I am probably the most impatient person in the world and I absolutely hate standing/waiting in lines so we decided that Faster To The Fun was a must!
Isn't it the best? We tried it for the first time this last cruise. Dh thought it would be a waste of money, but he started to change his mind when we showed the security employee at Port Canaveral our boarding passes and were directed to the short (2 people) security line while hundreds of sweating people shuffled along through the regular security line. Yeah, it only got better from there. I'm sure you know what I mean.

We had a balcony room, M229, to be exact. We absolutely loved having a balcony. Although we didn't use it as often as we would have liked, it was still a well-worth price to pay. I found myself sitting out there often, just enjoying the sounds and staring at the stars. Also, there's nothing quite like waking up and going straight out on the balcony to see where you're at.
Some people say it's a waste of money, but I'm with you. We always get a balcony room. Dh spends most of the at-sea day reading and napping or watching the water. One time, because we really wanted to cruise but money was tight, we booked an interior cabin. Never again. If we don't have the money for a balcony room, we don't go.

We went to the Broadway-type shows in the main lounge as well as a few of the 18+ comedy shows; unfortunately, we weren't able to make it to the family-friendly comedy shows but I later hear that the adult only shows are funnier, eh.
I know you're going to be cruising again, so I advise you to not skip the family friendly show just because someone said it's not as funny. It can go either way. More than once, we've enjoyed the family-friendly show more. .

I really can't think of anything else to comment on so if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I do have some pictures and I'll get them posted whenever I can.

Thanks for reading

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for your review! I was on this cruise as well; glad to hear you enjoyed your first and are hooked like the rest of us. :) Wasn't the weather just perfect? Beautiful every day.

Btw I'm a Scott and also work in nursing!

Small world, eh?!

Yes, I was completely taken by surprised by the weather. We had expected at least one rainy day or one bad storm to sail through but no! Remember that one night where the waves were so bad that the cruise director made an announcement to be careful on deck and such? We were expecting the entirety of the cruise to be like this. So glad we were wrong, ha!

Small world, eh?!

Yes, I was completely taken by surprised by the weather. We had expected at least one rainy day or one bad storm to sail through but no! Remember that one night where the waves were so bad that the cruise director made an announcement to be careful on deck and such? We were expecting the entirety of the cruise to be like this. So glad we were wrong, ha!

I do remember that night - one of my table mates at dinner had to leave early. Luckily it only lasted that one night and after that really no rocking to speak of. The last day it looked like we were on a small lake the water was so calm. Never have seen it like that!

I do remember that night - one of my table mates at dinner had to leave early. Luckily it only lasted that one night and after that really no rocking to speak of. The last day it looked like we were on a small lake the water was so calm. Never have seen it like that!

We kept commenting on the water and the sky throughout the day; it seemed so creepy. We were low-key waiting for something bad to happen, eek! It was like out of a horror film or something. There seemed to be somewhat of a fog and we couldn't exactly see where the sky and the water met.

We will be on the sensation in 16 days! With a few newbies, thank you for your review , there isn’t many on this ship and makes me nervous as I’ve sailed on a variety and this being the smallest, makes me feel better for my newbies and family going.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Perhaps next time we go to Nassau, we may actually just spend the day at Junkanoo beach and take advantage of one of the packages there. We were approached by a local offering two chairs, an umbrella, some food, and unlimited drinks. We said no because we wanted to actually explore the town but maybe next time! I may even try to find this jerk chicken man you speak of. :D

You might want to look for the Bikini Tiki Hut next time at Junkanoo Beach. They will sell you a coconut filled with pina colada or strawberry daiquiri and offer unlimited refills, plus the employees were super friendly when we visited.

I really enjoy sailing out of New Orleans, you spend the whole first night going down the river, which I think is interesting.

Thanks for your review

Thanks for the info on passports getting stamped. I will have to try it next time. I agree that the straw market can be a little too much. I remember buying something from one person and had about 4-5 other vendors follow me all over the rest of the market trying to get me to buy something from them.

Great review and I am glad you had fun.

• 4 weeks later...
You might want to look for the Bikini Tiki Hut next time at Junkanoo Beach. They will sell you a coconut filled with pina colada or strawberry daiquiri and offer unlimited refills, plus the employees were super friendly when we visited.

I really enjoy sailing out of New Orleans, you spend the whole first night going down the river, which I think is interesting.

Thanks for your review

A strawberry daiquiri in a coconut? That would have been worth a try! Heck, even if I don't like it, the unlimited refills offer almost makes it worth it, haha. Thanks for the tip.

Yes, I am so excited to sail down the Mississippi. I have been researching different sights to see along the shore line. I wish we could cruise more often but sickness doesn't take a vacation and nurses only get vacations once a year, ugh. Only 327 days!

OMG I'm SO happy to read your review as I've read so many poor reviews of this ship. I sailed on her a few years ago prior to them upgrading and had a great time but now that I know it has Guys and Blue Iguana plus Alchemy! Oh boy am I excited! We are bringing in the New Year on her in December and can't wait!!

Thanks so much for sharing your experience!

OMG I'm SO happy to read your review as I've read so many poor reviews of this ship. I sailed on her a few years ago prior to them upgrading and had a great time but now that I know it has Guys and Blue Iguana plus Alchemy! Oh boy am I excited! We are bringing in the New Year on her in December and can't wait!!

Thanks so much for sharing your experience!

You're welcome! We weren't really impressed with Alchemy. We went one night to try it out and the bartender seemed extremely uninterested; she didn't say a word to us so we just left. I also thought it was in a horrible location with the stairs going down into the aft dining room like literally ten feet from the bar. I've read reviews were people absolutely loved the Alchemy but I don't guess any of them were on our cruise since I'm pretty sure I saw only one person there the whole cruise. Maybe it'll be better for you. Enjoy your cruise!

You're welcome! We weren't really impressed with Alchemy. We went one night to try it out and the bartender seemed extremely uninterested; she didn't say a word to us so we just left. I also thought it was in a horrible location with the stairs going down into the aft dining room like literally ten feet from the bar. I've read reviews were people absolutely loved the Alchemy but I don't guess any of them were on our cruise since I'm pretty sure I saw only one person there the whole cruise. Maybe it'll be better for you. Enjoy your cruise!

Frankly I think the raves for Alchemy are more from other ships. This theme bar concept has been rolled out to almost all the Carnival Fleet - but in each case it is simply an update of a space formerly occupied by another bar. I believe on Sensation (which as an older, smaller Fantasy class ship had limited options of where to put Alchemy) this used to be the Polo Club Bar and from the photos and deck plans it does seem an awkward location. Supposedly they can mix up a pretty decent cocktail for "whatever ails ya" with their old time pharmacy theme, and it is a significant upgrade from whatever was there before.

Thanks for the review!! I'm sailing sensation January 20 54 days to go!!! I am so excited and glad you had a positive experience. It's hard to find reviews on this ship so I was really pleased to find this!

Hi Beach Girl. I agree, it's kind of a bummer to go looking in Cruise Critic for your ship and find mostly crickets and tumbleweeds while all the new ginormous glam ships have pages of raves. I appreciated Scotty's review as well and we are sailing on January 2. I hope you will join me in posting your impressions after you sail.

I hope you both @beachgirl676 and @KmomChicago have better experiences than we did. Just got off yesterday and it was the single worst cruise I have ever been on. I was concerned it was just us but during excursion yesterday in Miami the van of 12 agree is was below what we are used to. Good luck.

I hope you both @beachgirl676 and @KmomChicago have better experiences than we did. Just got off yesterday and it was the single worst cruise I have ever been on. I was concerned it was just us but during excursion yesterday in Miami the van of 12 agree is was below what we are used to. Good luck.

Hi, NeCruiseFan. I am sorry to hear that. My expectations are what I would call extremely realistic. For my family this is only their 2nd cruise, and the previous one was on another old Carnival ship; for my parents it's their first so they don't know what to expect.

I choose travel based on timing (has to work around school holidays) and cost (prefer not to have to fly to the port or to go bankrupt on cruise fare) so we sort of know what we are getting and accept the facts that go along with it. This was a bonus to our already planned road trip to Florida for Christmas break to visit Papa; if it's less than perfect we will still be glad we got filled up on Guy's Burgers/Blue Iguana and walked around on a hot sandy beach with beautiful turquoise waters in the dead of winter rather than driving back to the Midwest 4 days sooner.

Frankly, it would have to be almost indescribably bad, to be worse than going back to Chicago 4 days earlier IN JANUARY. Love my home but January here is dark, cold, often icy, and Not Nice.:)

Hi, NeCruiseFan. I am sorry to hear that. My expectations are what I would call extremely realistic. For my family this is only their 2nd cruise, and the previous one was on another old Carnival ship; for my parents it's their first so they don't know what to expect.

I choose travel based on timing (has to work around school holidays) and cost (prefer not to have to fly to the port or to go bankrupt on cruise fare) so we sort of know what we are getting and accept the facts that go along with it. This was a bonus to our already planned road trip to Florida for Christmas break to visit Papa; if it's less than perfect we will still be glad we got filled up on Guy's Burgers/Blue Iguana and walked around on a hot sandy beach with beautiful turquoise waters in the dead of winter rather than driving back to the Midwest 4 days sooner.

Frankly, it would have to be almost indescribably bad, to be worse than going back to Chicago 4 days earlier IN JANUARY. Love my home but January here is dark, cold, often icy, and Not Nice.:)

KMpmChicago: Lol don’t get me wrong. I’m in Kansas City and work for a school district so I totally know what you are talking about. Hubby and I try to do that every couple years when we visit my parents at Christmas but this was a special occasion. Guys is incredible (3 Times for me) but has very brief hours (closes at 6p), Blue Iguana was good too but same hours. We all would have rather eaten there then the MDR. We had the Cheers package so we did not let it go to waste. I will close by saying my friend sailed this same ship 5 years ago and it was vastly different. If your expectations are low you will probably be ok. [emoji6] Enjoy!