Internet for work on Gem options and ideas please!

ylojerseygirl

Unfortunately I will need to do a few days worth of work while on our Southern Caribbean cruise on the Gem. Is the unlimited internet the best option? have others done this? or is there another option (portable hot spot or something?) All ideas are appreciated. Thank you!

A portable hotspot will be more expensive than internet. Your options are pay by the minute, purchase a package, or unlimited depending on how much you need to do. I did pay by the minute on the jade recently. Logged on a few minutes each day to check email, iMessage, and Facebook. Cost around $25 for the 10 day cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP, when are you sail this South Carib itinerary on the Gem, give this season's damages to island's cellular infrastruture from hurricane - as while docked, those are your most reliable bets ... normally.

Ship's satellite WiFi is functional but given the changes being reported - inconsistenlty - by others recently, not sure if you can "count" on your ability to do VPN, even with an unlimited premium plan, which - of course, you can expense & charge-back to your work.

Who/what is your home carrier & plan coverage for the ports ?

I have yet to experience ship-based Internet that could support a VPN. It is like dial-up in the 1990s. Depending on how many people are on it, it can take a minute or two to log into Gmail and get a list of messages. Our last experience was on the Jewel when it took 20 minutes to log into Air Canada's site and check in a year ago (that's a two minute task even using LTE on my cell phone). Internet cafes in port are going to be your best option.

NCL had promised better Internet but I don't know if they actually upgraded the systems on any ships. Perhaps someone with very recent experience on the Gem can say if they were able to do more than email.

I don’t know anything about vpn. I was on the jade pre-dry dock and the Internet was fine for web surfing. Don’t think I was ever logged on for more than about 5 minutes at a time and was able to check email and post pictures to Facebook. Yes, the posting of pictures was much slower than on LTE, but nothing like what the prior poster experienced with 20 minutes to check in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums