texting between passengers when onboard...Need the VOOM package?

Hi! I usually sail Carnival and it's been years since I was on RCCL, but wanted to try a Mega-Ship for my 10th Sober Anniversary, so I booked on HOTS.

My question is ... I will be cruising with a buddy and i'm wondering if there is a way for us to stay connected while onboard the ship, if we are not together, WITHOUT paying for 2 devices on the VOOM package? Carnival has a "Social package" that includes facebook IM which is really cheap so I get that for everyone when on Carnival ... however, this VOOM is 4X the price of that so I'm trying to avoid having to buy VOOM for both of us. Carnival also has an onboard app, called the "hub" where you can CHAT with other passengers without needing the internet package. I'm wondering if RCCL has anything like that or if I'm just going to have to suck it up and buy VOOM for BOTH of us????? If it matters I will be sailing on Harmony of the Seas September 2018.

Please let me know.

Thanks so much!!!!!

There is no other package on Royal other than VOOM.

If you don't want unlimited internet, then you can pay your cell carrier by the text. This is usually $0.50 per text for AT&T and Verizon. Check with your carrier to be sure. Ask about cell services on a cruise ship at sea. This is different from international service.

I would wait and keep reading VOOM related threads about Harmony. We've had many reports which mentioned that iMessage texting can be sent/received without a VOOM package (just connected to wifi).

If really needed, the texting option within the Royal IQ app is $7.95 per device for the whole cruise.

On the Oasis we had the VOOM for 2 devices for the Surf and Stream. We purchased in advance for a nice saving.

While on board we turned on airplane mode, and used T-Mobiles Wifi Calling feature. We were able to get texts AND make/receive phone calls the whole cruise!

I would wait and keep reading VOOM related threads about Harmony. We've had many reports which mentioned that iMessage texting can be sent/received without a VOOM package (just connected to wifi).

If really needed, the texting option within the Royal IQ app is $7.95 per device for the whole cruise.

Yes, Royal hasn't closed the imessage port, yet.

Yes, Royal hasn't closed the imessage port, yet.

Someone will have to do some digging so find out if this is a feature, necessity due to Royal IQ or simply a configuration error. Considering the last one is costing RCI some lost revenue (and potentially using up precious BW) you'd think they would fix that.

Someone will have to do some digging so find out if this is a feature, necessity due to Royal IQ or simply a configuration error. Considering the last one is costing RCI some lost revenue (and potentially using up precious BW) you'd think they would fix that.

Wouldn't it be funny if RC was subcontracting the messaging function of Royal IQ to Apple and can't close the access to iMessage without breaking Royal IQ.

That was some time ago as there's been no updates to Royal IQ in over 14 months - basically a discontinued app.

I can see RCI further segmenting internet tiers (a la Carnival) and very basic functionality (which has no real BW effect) like texting being free.

Delta will roll out that functionality on their planes - others are likely to follow.