staying in touch with other passengers via txt

Deenie33

This is what I've been looking for. Carnival spends a lot of time discussing the different plans and how to get the HUB, but I was not able to find out if "Chat" with other passengers is available free with the HUB app. Apparently, according to this response, you cannot chat at all with the HUB without putting out more $$$$:: "

simplelife

Blue Ribbon Cruiser

[/url] #20

Charlotte

3,739 Posts

Joined May 2007

Posted June 4th, 2018, 03:46 AM

Carnival hub is free (you can view all the activities, deck plans etc, but the text feature has a nominal cost (I think it was a singe charge 4 or 5 dollars per device, for the entire duration of the cruise."

I'd like to update my previous reply. I called Carnival's Tech line and asked if you got "Chat" as a basic service when you use Carnival HUB or if you have to get one of their plans to use Chat. I was informed that the first time you use it, your account is charged $5.00 and that covers the entire cruise. It is not $5.00 per day as other services cost. I repeat - for a total of $5 which is automatically charged to your account, you have Chat with other passengers on board ship.:halo:

I'd like to update my previous reply. I called Carnival's Tech line and asked if you got "Chat" as a basic service when you use Carnival HUB or if you have to get one of their plans to use Chat. I was informed that the first time you use it, your account is charged $5.00 and that covers the entire cruise. It is not $5.00 per day as other services cost. I repeat - for a total of $5 which is automatically charged to your account, you have Chat with other passengers on board ship.:halo:

Correct:)

• The basic HUB app is free - it gives you information but not communication.
  • The Chat feature of the HUB app is $5 per cruise per portfolio number and can only be used by one device at time. This allows communication with others on the ship.
  • Data plans are a varied cost per day (with at least the basic level requiring purchase for all days) and allow communication to some degree (eg: FB messenger, e-mail) with others not on the ship

Now if Celebrity would only follow their lead in time for my November cruise!:D

You're on the wrong cruise, Deenie33! We'll miss you.

Apparently so.......:o We are pretty much married to Celebrity and RCI as we have had such positive experiences on all of our cruises....not one complaint, ever! Also....my well seasoned cruising friend has told me how important gaining cruise points are with the cruise line. So we hope that by the time we are ready to cruise it up we will gain some perks....who knows!

• 1 month later...

I read somewhere that to just text using the Carnival Hub app there is a $5 fee for the entire cruise - not $5/day. I don't guarantee what I say is the right answer.

I wish someone would state how to put name tags on for the Meet and Mingle. I know how to print the label that says "you know me as _____ My name is ________" and you fill in the blanks and print it. But, I need a holder to attach it to me or else carry it around in my hand to show everybody! 😫

Hi

I am one for general communication of daily activities in advance. You can also leave messages in cabins or on the cabin phone. It has mostly worked in the past.

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I travel with others, I have found it fairly easy to find them, even if I don't know where they are.

Now we are talking about a sea day...if somebody has gone ashore, I likely wont find them. :) There are only so many places someone can go on a ship. If you know a person and you know their interests, it doesn't take long to find them. It might take a bit of searching, but it's not like I am going anywhere.

I might give that (Carnival) hub app a try on our next cruise (since we are on Carnival), but I don't like carrying my phone around either, so we will see. Ain't technology great. :rolleyes:

On NCL over Christmas, we paid $10 per device to access their on-board message app. It was terrible, we had to restart the app every time (even to check for messages) and sometimes even restart the phone itself.

We liked the Carnival app a few years ago cuz it let us set alarms for events, as well as text. For some reason, the Princess one just lets you see the schedule, but not set alarms.

Since there is no chirp or buzz, we found ourselves looking at our phones even more often than we do on land... taking away some of the relaxing effects of the vacation.