Top Shelf Liquor (Cheers)

Bsbllmom

We bought the Cheers package for our cruise next week. I'm not a big drinker but want to get top shelf liquor in my drinks, because I can. Do I just tell the bartender that I want top shelf or do I ask for it by name? If I have to ask for it by name will you guys help me out and give me names of what I should ask for. 🍸

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

We bought the Cheers package for our cruise next week. I'm not a big drinker but want to get top shelf liquor in my drinks, because I can. Do I just tell the bartender that I want top shelf or do I ask for it by name? If I have to ask for it by name will you guys help me out and give me names of what I should ask for. [emoji483]

Yes

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We bought the Cheers package for our cruise next week. I'm not a big drinker but want to get top shelf liquor in my drinks, because I can. Do I just tell the bartender that I want top shelf or do I ask for it by name? If I have to ask for it by name will you guys help me out and give me names of what I should ask for. [emoji483]

Some reasonable "spirits" standards (and corresponding exemplary cocktails) vs the "rot gut" well booze you'll usually get:

Bombay Sapphire gin (ask for an Aviation, which also has Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur, Creme de Violette and fresh squeezed lemon juice - IMO, the perfect cocktail).

Hennessy VSOP (aka "Privilege") cognac AND Cointreau (never use "Triple Sec"). Along with fresh lemon juice, this makes the perfect Sidecar.

Templeton Rye, along with an Absinthe wash, simple syrup and Peychaud bitters (plus lemon peel garnish) is the gold standard for a Sazerac.

El Tesoro Reposado Tequila. With fresh lime juice and agave nectar, you'll have a true Margarita (a la Tommy's in SF). Some folks will add Cointreau (not Triple Sec). But, that's not really a Margarita.

These four drinks should get you started. The most important things to remember are to always ask for real fruit juice and not mixers and never drink cheap booze (life's too short).

BONUS:

Maker's (Mark) 46 bourbon

Portón Pisco (Mosto Verde)

Mount Gay Black Barrel rum (if you can't afford the Appleton Signature rum

Lagavulin Islay scotch

Ketel One or Grey Goose (if you have to have vodka)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I drank a lot of grey goose Collins on my last cruise. we've done the Cheers program the last few times. Since they made some changes to it it's even better. Be sure to get fancy coffees both in the dining room or in the café, there's milkshakes bottled water, energy drinks etc that are all now included.

If I wanted a different drink and wasn't sure which Gin was top shelf I just said either I want the drink made with the best gin or top shelf gin please.

If you dont know what top shelf liquor to ask for in the first place, you wont know the difference - but you’ll “get your money’s worth.

I beg to vehemently disagree.

In his/her imbibing adventure, OP should line up a few shots for blind taste testing.

Even one or two comparisons will tell the tale.

Try the Bombay Sapphire gin next to regular Bombay or, better still, next to "rot gut" like Seagrams. Even an untrained palate will discern, at least, the difference in smoothness.

Same thing goes for the Tequila: sip the El Tesoro Reposado and then try Cuervo Gold "swill." I've never met a single person who couldn't taste the significant difference, in smoothness or flavor.

And if you really want to go the distance, get the right glassware and ice cubes (many high end cocktail bars in major metro areas use only a single large cube where "over ice" is the order.

I used to ask for Sapphire gin until a bartender recommended I try Hendrick's. Will NEVER go back.

Hendrick's is terrific. However, it's not-so-secret ingredient is cucumber, which gives it that very different taste and requires a cucumber slice instead of olives when used in a martini (make sure you "isolate the vermouth molecule" for truly "extra dry."

There really are many top "artisan" gins nowadays: Check out http://www.stgeorgespirits.com/spirits/gins/st-george-terroir-gin/

One more point. The most expensive stuff is not always the best for a particular cocktail (or even straight).

For example, El Tesoro also has an Anejo version (far more aging). However, it is so smooth that it has little (if any) of the "bite" that is the hallmark of Tequila.

Another thought: If you're cruising South America, particularly the Pacific side, do consider having a Pisco Sour. But, try to get homogenized egg whites (for the froth) just to be safe.

One more point. The most expensive stuff is not always the best for a particular cocktail (or even straight).

For example, El Tesoro also has an Anejo version (far more aging). However, it is so smooth that it has little (if any) of the "bite" that is the hallmark of Tequila.

Another thought: If you're cruising South America, particularly the Pacific side, do consider having a Pisco Sour. But, try to get homogenized egg whites (for the froth) just to be safe.

Writing this thread got me thirsty (on a Saturday afternoon). So, I just made some Aviations. LIFE IS GOOD!

Thanks everyone. I have had some very bad tequilas and some amazing ones. I think I will know the difference. Just because o do t know names doesn't mean I won't know.

Flatbush are you a bartender or do you just know tour stuff about liquor?

I am not a bartender. However, I enjoy the occasional adult beverage and refuse to drink bad spirits or wine while also making sure that I am paying an appropriate price.

Today in Costco, I saw a woman pick up several bottles of Korbel's base sparkling wine at $14/bottle. Right next to it was Roederer Brut (Wine Spectator rating of 92 [and deserves it]) for $17. DUH!!!

A little research (on paper and in practice) is worth the trouble.

.... Can I ask for these "top shelf" spirits in frozen concoctions? I found that they wouldn't let us have a "floater" on our last cruise with Cheers without an extra cost, would at least like to get a more tasty drink....

Rum? What would I ask for? And does (whatever you answer with) have a light AND a dark to choose from?

yes, you can, but don't make them use top shelf for a blended drink, it's a waste. People keep talking about going to the Steakhouse and ordering the most expensive drink in the bar. This is the quickest way for Carnival to raise Cheer's prices again. Please don't abuse the system like mixing top shelf with a frozen drink.

.... Can I ask for these "top shelf" spirits in frozen concoctions? I found that they wouldn't let us have a "floater" on our last cruise with Cheers without an extra cost, would at least like to get a more tasty drink....

Rum? What would I ask for? And does (whatever you answer with) have a light AND a dark to choose from?

IMO, frozen drinks are an excuse for a bar to skimp on spirits (also makes the drink so cold that you barely taste anything).

For run that's readily available and not outlandishly expensive, Mount Gay Eclipse or, better still, their Black Barrel is our everyday rum at home. Appleton is also good. Personally, I'd never drink "light" rum, even if recipe calls for it.

BTW, if you order a "painkiller," the classic uses Pussers Rum - not great but, at least, authentic.

What about with a "Fun Ship" or a "Perfect Storm" (from the Alchemy Bar)?

How is ordering top shelf for my frozen drinks "abusing the system"?

BTW, what I drink the most are red wines. We went to the steakhouse to see if they had better wines by the glass than elsewhere. Nope. Not, at least, in the red category. They only have the cheap stuff offered by the glass. *sigh* But if they did, would my going there for my wine be "abusing the system" also? That poor bartender in there always looked bored!

You are the only one to using the term, "abusing the system" if the shoe fits. You can buy a $100 bottle of wine for $50. If everyone were allowed to get $25 glasses of wine included with Cheers, the program would change rather quickly.

. Please don't abuse the system like mixing top shelf with a frozen drink.

This is what I was referring to.

We do book the steakhouse the first night and get some "good" bottles half price. Just wish there were better options by the glass.