Best way to communicate with a large group while on ship?

Lazz

We have a group of 8 going on 11/11 and we downloaded a walkie talkie app called Zello. You can even make a group. As I haven’t gone on my cruise yet, I’m not sure how reliable it is, but I live in Florida and we downloaded it ahead of the hurricane as suggested. I’ve used it with my friends in Ohio (while in Florida) and it has worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I assume using that app will require purchasing a WiFi package from the cruise line?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I don’t think so. The point of using it during the hurricane was if your cell service wasn’t actually working, you could still communicate.

If you guys cruise after me I will report back.

Yes, you need cell service or the internet:

Q. Can Zello run without Internet or phone data service?

A. No, Zello requires Internet service using either WiFi or cellular data of at least 2G.

https://support.zello.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001474671-FAQs-for-New-Zello-Users-due-to-Hurricane-Irma-

also read this about zello tips during a disaster:

"If there is no WiFi and no cellular data service, communication apps (including Zello) won’t work. However, this may not be an issue because, historically, mobile data networks have often remained at least partially operational, even after a severe disaster. Cellular towers include battery or generator backup power, which lets them stay online for at least 2 hours, even after grid power is lost."

http://blog.zello.com/2017/09/06/tips-on-zello-communications-in-the-disaster/

The part after the "However.." might explain why it worked in Florida. Looks like it might work if you can access the ships wifi.

Yes, you need cell service or the internet:

Q. Can Zello run without Internet or phone data service?

A. No, Zello requires Internet service using either WiFi or cellular data of at least 2G.

https://support.zello.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001474671-FAQs-for-New-Zello-Users-due-to-Hurricane-Irma-

also read this about zello tips during a disaster:

"If there is no WiFi and no cellular data service, communication apps (including Zello) won’t work. However, this may not be an issue because, historically, mobile data networks have often remained at least partially operational, even after a severe disaster. Cellular towers include battery or generator backup power, which lets them stay online for at least 2 hours, even after grid power is lost."

http://blog.zello.com/2017/09/06/tips-on-zello-communications-in-the-disaster/

The part after the "However.." might explain why it worked in Florida. Looks like it might work if you can access the ships wifi.

Thanks for the update.

I also like it because it chirps out loud and hearing someone’s voice catches my attention more than hearing the phone ring or vibrate.

I haven't heard of it on HAL yet.

John, Does one have to configure Outlook in order to use the link you provide for your e-mail? I could not get an address.............

sail.noordam@gmail.com

( do not use the yahoo address, please- it is not good now) - I tried to change my signature a but failed. :(