Formal wear

It’s been several years since we sailed on RCI. We mostly sail Celebrity and Oceania and neither require suits or jackets for men on formal nights. How does Royal compare? We are considering a family trip on the Liberty out of Galveston during Thanksgiving of 2018 and my sons and grandson hate the thought of formal wear. I know the buffet is always an option as well as the specialty restaurants but the menu in the MDR on formal nights used to be something special that maybe we won’t want to miss.

It’s been several years since we sailed on RCI. We mostly sail Celebrity and Oceania and neither require suits or jackets for men on formal nights. How does Royal compare? We are considering a family trip on the Liberty out of Galveston during Thanksgiving of 2018 and my sons and grandson hate the thought of formal wear. I know the buffet is always an option as well as the specialty restaurants but the menu in the MDR on formal nights used to be something special that maybe we won’t want to miss.

Royal does have formal dress suggestions, but they are not enforced, so you can wear whatever you want.

You don’t have to wear the tux and long dress. Just wear what you want. Although you will feel under dressed as a lot of people go all out. Some people like taking group photos and it would be nice to have a great picture. They will not stop you from entering in plainclothes. No bathing suits, robes, or vulgar stuff of course.

Your son can get by in the dining room with a pair of dark black jeans or Dockers black pants and a black or dark colored jersey or dress shirt. Add a tie and he is set. Kids the same, little black pants and a dark shirt. Good to go. On some of the longer cruises with RCCL (Europe, Asia, Japan), we like to travel pretty light. We have been able to get everything into a carry one and a back pack each. My husband will bring nice black dress pants, a nice black shirt, a very nice sweater, dress shoes, ties and that is what he will wear to the dining room. And we eat there almost every night. You are not there to impress others but to be comfortable. Rules are pretty lax on RCCL lately. Some people go all out and wear tuxes and ball gowns. I bring a couple of cocktail dresses in black and heels, shawls and I am ready to roll. For a seven night Caribbean Cruise, my husband will bring a nice black suit and I bring a couple of fancier dresses because in that situation our status with our airline gets us free luggage on the flight so we bring bigger suitcases to check.