Lunch and dinner in the main restaurants

bassbandit

Yes, I did say that but not at a table of 8 Brits. I'd have felt out of place every time.

Apologies if already mentioned, but you'll have your own table in the YC restaurant, so no issues there. I feel quite lucky not to have been on such a table - all our fellow Brits tend to do is moan and whinge lol

- our lounge suits are more 'fashionable' and better quality than the dinner suits,

On previous grand voyage the tuxedo was in the minority.

Yes, I already said they are in minority but in majority at Brit dinner tables.

Please see my post above.

Edited by canny_cruiser

On previous grand voyage the tuxedo was in the minority.

Our GV is to China/Japan so I'm half-expecting there to be quite a few well-dressed Asians in YC. There were a few on Meraviglia and they looked terrific - especially on Gala evening which was when the Captain made his visit to the TSL. DH's tux didn't look out of place on that night!

Apologies if already mentioned, but you'll have your own table in the YC restaurant, so no issues there. I feel quite lucky not to have been on such a table - all our fellow Brits tend to do is moan and whinge lol

I quite agree. The Mingle & Greet on other lines transposes to to the Moan & Groan on MSC!

Our GV is to China/Japan so I'm half-expecting there to be quite a few well-dressed Asians in YC. There were a few on Meraviglia and they looked terrific - especially on Gala evening which was when the Captain made his visit to the TSL. DH's tux didn't look out of place on that night!

Wow! Where do you depart? I've never visited Asia.

I <LIKE> a navy blazer! Hahahaha

I did, too, when DH first bought his. But, it's time for a change.

We embark in Dubai on Splendida next March. Splendida is spending the Summer season in China. She'll return to Dubai for the Winter and is then scheduled to return to Asia in March 2019.

We've been to Asia a few times, once with Celebrity from Singapore and other land trips - several times to the Philippines with stopovers in Singapore, Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur.

Should the OP return to the thread - apologies for being OT.

Just noticed you are doing the Fantasia back to Europe next year.

Hope you will enjoy it. It's one of my fav MSC ships. Staff are usualy lovely.

I travel solo and enjoy a large dinner table, if I am able.

Just noticed you are doing the Fantasia back to Europe next year.

Hope you will enjoy it. It's one of my fav MSC ships. Staff are usualy lovely.

Thanks, she is my favourite, we were on her for Abu-Dhabi to Genoa then round Barcelona and Marseille earlier in the year. Absolutely love the ship :hearteyes::hearteyes:

Sorry, Bea, what is TSL, please?

I do, too.

Did you get stuck in Suez, by any chance.

No not that we noticed? Seemed a smooth passage, and very interesting - been to Egypt numerous times so it felt great to be there again although not touching land

TSL = Top Sail Lounge - the yacht club bar area

No not that we noticed? Seemed a smooth passage, and very interesting - been to Egypt numerous times so it felt great to be there again although not touching land

My first MSC cruise was Genoa to Durban. We were stuck in the Bitter Lakes for 24hrs as no-one apparently had told our Captain they were dredging sourhern end of canal which had created a tailback which then got priority to ships travelling north.

Apologies to the OP for continuing the derailment!!

Bea, two questions. (crud I can't remember what question two was - off back up the thread to figure it out!! - I remember!!)

1, Gala/Elegant night attire for myself in YC please? Suggestions. Thanks

2, Are all tables in YC 2 top, or do they offer larger top dining to dine with folk if you are interested?

Thankies :)

Apologies to the OP for continuing the derailment!!

Bea, two questions. (crud I can't remember what question two was - off back up the thread to figure it out!! - I remember!!)

1, Gala/Elegant night attire for myself in YC please? Suggestions. Thanks

2, Are all tables in YC 2 top, or do they offer larger top dining to dine with folk if you are interested?

Thankies :)

1. As it's the Seaside in the Caribbean, HD, I imagine there'll be quite a lot of Americans onboard who aren't keen on "formal" attire. For that reason, if it were me, I'd keep it simple - you can't go wrong with a LBD (if you're into dresses - I am) or a nice pair of smart trousers with a glittery top or blouse. I've bought some really great pants from Debenhams (online - often with 70% off!) over the years for evening wear - fully lined, chiffon-like and teamed them up with some nice tops. I also bought a terrific pair in ivory and sometimes get 3 nights out of them (on Grand Voyages), including Gala, dressing them up or down with different style tops.

Another idea would be a long, loose, flowing dress - very summery yet dressy in their own way. Would work very well in the Caribbean.

2. There's a mix of table sizes in the YC, including quite a few 2 tops. If you do get to meet up with people, you can arrange to dine with them no problem. You can either let the restaurant know beforehand what size table you'll be requiring. We did this when we befriended 2 other couples in YC a couple of years back and just booked a table for 6. However, they won't just put you at a table with strangers the way they do in the MDRs.

Hi,

It seems that the majority of posters are happy with the reduced menus and buffet in the main dining room.

I agree that you can order several courses from the menu but the choice is very limited for each course then ie 1 pasta choice, 1 soup choice, 1 salad choice etc. not as before several choices for each course.

As an example of the well oiled working of the new system, my wife went to the MDR buffet for lunch and put some sweet and sour on her plate, could not see any rice to go with this so asked. She was told to ask the waiter and he would get some which she did, trouble was the meat was cold by the time the plate of rice arrived from the galley. Perhaps at some future date all MSC cruisers will realise that they can be seated comfortably in the MDR for their buffet and leave the actual buffet upstairs empty, or maybe that will then turn into a MDR as well. :rolleyes:

Several people have asked if the sparkling wine is still included in the drinks package. I can confirm that it is, in sweet or dry form. :D

I agree that the choices for soups and salads have been reduced - but only from 2 items to 1 of each.

There was always rice pilaf available in an urn at the buffet section in the MDR on each and every cruise I've taken since the introduction of "bistro" lunch.

As an FYI, the buffet wasn't offered every day in the MDR. This may have been influenced by the times in port on the 2 days of our 9 night cruise that it wasn't available.