Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

hello all.

enjoying reading the posts!

hope those traveling will keep us in the loop.

the weather here is remarkable, perfect, cool nights and warm days in the low 70s F.

we will be experiencing another cool front coming through today.

I have been continuing on my quest to discover my bio roots. I was adopted as an infant.

In the 80s I did a search with help from a social worker and others and found my half brother.

Just had my DNA done and found others. I am able to trace back in Gotland, Sweden, multiple generations and also in Samos, Greece, which is proving more dificult.

It is a journey.

[quote=MBP&O2/O;5548084

Just checked in online (BA) and it has let us both check in for the whole journey but it will only issue boarding passes to Mrs B as far as the AA flights are concerned? I presume it is to do with the secondary TSA / AA security quiz at LHR. All it says is mine will be issued “at the airport”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last time that happened to me, it was because I had been selected for the dreaded 'SSSS' (special security screen at the gate) - when I asked why since I travel often with no problem, they said 'random'. The fact that I have Global Entry and am thus a pre-screened 'trusted traveller' doesn't seem to matter (it was an AA transatlantic flight).

Apart from having to get your boarding pass from an agent after answering a lot of 'security' questions, the most annoying thing was that just when I was all organized to board and settle in for the flight, I had to dismantle everything as I and my roll aboard were very thoroughly searched in full view of the other pax boarding - it took so long I was the last one on board and this was a full 777.

I hope this hasn't happened to you because it's infuriating but there's nothing to do except grin and bear (bare) it if you want to get on the plane.

hello all.

enjoying reading the posts!

hope those traveling will keep us in the loop.

the weather here is remarkable, perfect, cool nights and warm days in the low 70s F.

we will be experiencing another cool front coming through today.

I have been continuing on my quest to discover my bio roots. I was adopted as an infant.

In the 80s I did a search with help from a social worker and others and found my half brother.

Just had my DNA done and found others. I am able to trace back in Gotland, Sweden, multiple generations and also in Samos, Greece, which is proving more dificult.

It is a journey.

That's fascinating Spins.

We haven't had as much luck as you. I knew the village in Poland my paternal grandparents originated from and managed to find some pictures of relatives and pictures of their graves but that was that.

Wifey was much more interesting in that her mother was certain that her grandparents were Spanish because they had a Spanish name perhaps. But I managed to track back and found that they were from Argentina and either her grandfather or greatgrandfather was an Argentinian sailor who ended up as a waiter in the UK. I never got to tell mother-in-law who would have really enjoyed it.

Hello Jolly,

I too have been selected for the dreaded SSSS.

More than once. In my case, I guess old ladies with white hair look sinister.

Hi Spins,

Well, with Alexander the Great's warlike tendencies (OK, I know he was Macedonian) and the Nordic hoard's warlike tendencies, you're obviously a dangerous lady. What a fascinating heritage!

Myself, I haven't bothered checking; with a name like Jones ...

Greetings from Seville, Cooler friends!

We arrived to a cold and stormy weather on Monday, and continuous rain on Tuesday. Accompanied Roberto to music business stuff as I had no appetite for sightseeing under so much rain and wind. We have eaten in typical tapas places and in one fancier restaurant. The fun thing is that there was the same menu in all! Of course, more plating sophistication in the fancier restaurant. This morning we finally visited the Alcázar, but could not enter the Cathedral due to the long line to buy tickets. Let’s hope for tomorrow, though there is another storm coming in.

Trust you all are well, and safe travels to those soon on their way.

Well, I have spoken to BA via the tellingbone communications system .... we are deep deep chocolate fireguard country.

The outsourced help line said it would be sorted out out when I checked in at the airport, but he wasn’t sure which airport.

He couldn’t / wouldn’t accept that 2x pax had checked in but boarding passes had only been issued to 1pax, and he did confirm that all our APIS documentation was in order.

TA says this happens occasionally but has always been resolved

when you get to the first airport. There is no rhyme nor reason for it.

Parties ...

Brewery ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good Morning all ......

S, I am fed up with "this day" and "that day" and I was going to say "what next ... sausage week?" But I think there already is! :D

What a busy place this is!

Morning all.

Jeff, I think it is not ‘pie’ week, but next week will be ‘pi’ day, 3.14, but which Brit’s don’t get to celebrate because you write your dates 14.3, which isn’t Pi. The geeks I know have pie on Pi day.

Echo everyone with admiration of JP’s upcoming floors.

And I too have been selected for enhanced screening more than once. Must be those knitting needles (jk - I don’t knit).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ah, Pi day! I do find all these nerd days funny.

We have had floor envy for years, after touring all the beautiful castles throughout Europe and elsewhere. The hardwood floors there are gorgeous. We've always wanted one and finally had the opportunity to go for it. Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

The not so fun part was moving the baby grand piano on Monday night. But we figured out a way that wasn't too difficult for the two of us. It's now tucked into the kitchen dining nook, about 10 feet away from its usual location. The harder part will be moving it back without scratching up the newly finished hardwood floor. But we have a few weeks to figure that out.

Chris is the poor one who usually gets selected for the SSSS screening. Last time it happened was in Zurich; I knew there was an issue because I could check in online but she couldn't. Sure enough... and we have Global Entry, PreCheck, etc. It is frustrating but I guess it comes with the territory these days.

I realize that I neglected to answer joc123 last week - first of all, welcome back! Yes, we are still coming to Adelaide in a little over a week's time. I've been tracking the weather for the past few days and it does indeed look very pleasant. Looking forward to it! We have a private driver and tour guide for wine tasting in Barossa, and we're doing the birth year port tasting at Seppeltsfield too. Then a night in Adelaide before we fly off to KI. Getting very excited about the trip! And thanks for all of your earlier advice, I appreciated it.

Ah, Pi day! I do find all these nerd days funny.

In that case: you’ve just missed an imperative (March 4th) and you’ll want to mark your calendar for Star Wars Day on May 4th (May the fourth be with you) and May 6th (the revenge of the sixth).

I’ll stop now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

JP,

Couldn't you lift each leg of the piano and place under them a small square of carpet (wool side down) and slide it along. Leaving it on the small squares might also preserve the acoustic isolation of the piano from the potential resonance from the new wooden floor.

Like I said some time ago .........:) ...... Brussels should start listening to voters

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brussels-should-start-listening-to-voters-s36cf3bgk?shareToken=fd91d821220918f580c674177eca0e2c

No, not in this case! :) I definitely meant nervous! The material required to operate this wonder should be impossible to buy. If it isn't impossible to buy that would make me nervous and not envious! Just saying.......

In the old days we used felt under the piano legs....

Jeff, see the NME is finishing this week after 60 years of publication....shame.

Following on from my moan about tickets for the Rolling Stones concerts it appears to be becoming a right mess up with folk being ripped off......Tom Jones is coming to Chester this summer so I’ve instructed DD to get decent tickets to see the old geezer....last time l saw and also met him was in Bermuda in 1971 when he jammed at a local club.....great memories.

With regards to the airline security I’ve been pulled out ‘randomly’ quite a few times at security for a search.....someone in the know tells me it’s because I travel a lot and a solo female......can be a bit scary!

Fascinating story Spins.....😊

Yes JP...I know it is a joke. I was making one as well! :) Of course the material is not available for sale. Obviously I made a bad joke. :(

But now I am wondering if I would go forward or backward. :) I think I would prefer back. Maybe to 1970. Of course I would want to retain what I know now. That would make for an interesting time!

Edited by mysty

Yes to all the women experiencing a "special" kind of extra security scanning. That happens to me as well and not to Myster. I don't travel alone. I don't travel often. And it has happened at least twice. Go figure!

Thanks JP! I have been dithering over this for a bit. I feel much better now! Thanks for chiming in! And I agree that it is very difficult to communicate humour here unless it is over the top. J does seem to have mastered it though! :)

I hadn’t flown since I had my knees replaced last June and when flying to the Gold Coast on Monday, the machine went off at security I could believe I had forgotten that it would happen. I had to wait till a female could come and "frisk" me.

Just shows how great my new knees are that I can forget them!

Soapy, I do so hope that when you go and see the old geezer you realise that he is expecting the lasses to throw bits of their underwear at him!

Jilly, I envy you new knees ..... my one's sound like a pair of castanets but I'm determined to keep faith with them. I''m alright on the straight - it's the inclines that sometimes gives a challenge.

M and JP - I'm losing the drift on this. Is JP getting a new floor or is it an imaginary one? :confused: