Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Oh my lordy......the comment l posted about it being International Women’s Day was a little tongue in cheek following my post about Pie Week and Jeff’s response to being a tad pickled orff with all such dedicated days...🤨

I really don’t have any views either way having worked in a predominantly male environment for many years and long before women burned the bra......one learns to live and let live.

We are all of course entitled to our own views without offending others that disagree and am sorry to have stirred up a hornets nest....

Time for a ‘Cooler Chill’ and to wish all the Mums a very happy Mother’s Day weekend........🥂😊

J...I have no data to support the mechanics of how earnings have been calculated. Unless I have evidence to prove that the tips provided are less than "normal" I will assume that the amounts staff are credited with are reasonably equivalent to what is charged per diem on lines that do not include gratuities in their cruise fare. Otherwise I would have to assume that SS is lying to me.

J...I have no data to support the mechanics of how earnings have been calculated. Unless I have evidence to prove that the tips provided are less than "normal" I will assume that the amounts staff are credited with are reasonably equivalent to what is charged per diem on lines that do not include gratuities in their cruise fare. Otherwise I would have to assume that SS is lying to me.

I tend to believe the butlers themselves who have told me jobs on SS are coveted because they do pay a lot more than on other cruise lines. They have told me that far more valuable to them than a tip is a excellent rating on the survey, because if they get a low rating their contract will not be renewed.

(Jeff is on ignore, because the most futile thing in the world is arguing on the Internet.)

How about them Leafs, eh?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good Morning All.....‘‘tis a beautiful spring like day here in Wales such a delight after all the gloom we’ve had recently.

Jeffers....you are not on my ‘ignore’ list ....you started the cooler thread for those of us who were quite fed up with posting on the main boards ....for various reasons.. and long may it continue in the manner that we’ve all come to enjoy.

S😊

Good morning:)...........topic change.........I have my Disney trip coming up on Thursday.......any of you been to Epcot? It was always my favorite park and we are in France for dinner one night. Menu looks great..........and for my birthday dinner, we are going to a Polynesian Luau that is a whole show Should be fun!!! That is being held inside the Polynesian Resort. The 3rd night we are eating in Disney Springs at a place called STK Steakhouse.......looks pretty awesome!

Hope everyone has a good weekend............almost time for me to leave for work.

Lois, the International Pavilion at Epcot is our favorite. Even though the replicas are a little cheesy compared to the real thing, it's fun to wander from place to place. We also like the rides at Epcot.

And the kids working in these pavilions are often college-aged kids from the actual countries, so they are really fun to talk to. I asked one of the French kids to explain the difference between a tasse, verre, and coupe [all different words for a glass]...while sipping wine from a glass, of course. And he did! Then you wander over to the German pavilion for some Wurst und Bier...

What place are you eating in France? We usually eat in the Chefs de France bistro but there is a fancier place I think, tucked away in the back near the patisserie. Have a great time!

Greetings Coolers! Winter wonderland here today with snow hanging like lace from tree branches and shrubs. It is gorgeous. I think it would have been better received at the beginning of winter though. We are sick to death of winter at this point and it is difficult to generate much enthusiasm for the beauty.

RP...enjoy your sojourn even with the liquid sunshine. Always a treat to get away.

Cam...hope the weather has improved and that you manage to get out and about to enjoy Seville. Safe travels home!

Miss S helped with corralling the horses. They may not all be back in the barn but they are more docile. :) :)

J...what is on the menu for today? It's pizza day here and Myster is itching to try some of the things from the Pizza episode of Ugly Delicious. :)

Have a great day all!

Hi M,

It's pneumonia jab day today for us both - delayed due to us being snowed in - so it will be a delayed bangers and very cheesy mash. I'm also making some kaiser rolls for supper to be eaten with Tiptree jam and marmalade. We are so lucky to have Tiptree in the UK!

Wish Myster well with his new liberated pizza. Remember what Mr Caputo always said ..."add more water ..... add more water ...,"

Myster has been reminded. :) And this:

29025355_1632963623417329_8581371655572422656_n.jpg?oh=d72f843c6a51aa7c1d4783e26f23fce1&oe=5B001C36

Oh, that was a good one! We are somewhat recovered from the latest Nor'easter, second one in two weeks. First one we had was in Newport....torrential rain, hurricane force winds and general pandamonium (sp?). Of course it was the weekend we set off to look at houses/condos in the Newport area. John almost lost his favorite hat...a felt Stetson that is his most favorite. Blew right off his head while we were attempting to go to lunch. Long story short, I recovered it between two parked cars about 3 blocks from where we got out of the car! Many of the homes we looked at had no power so we perused with flashlights. Not exactly idealistic but you could sure see if there was water in the basement or the roof leaked! Looked at 8 (phew), made an offer on one, but it was refused as they had a better offer, all cash. It's ok....we'll find something eventually.

Weds. was the latest Nor'easter. We had about 18" of wet snow. Unfortunately, the snow blower died in the process of clearing the drive, but the good part is that most of it was done before death. Soooo....that's been our week! Not the best one, but hey, we survived! Looking forward to the weekend.....hope everyone has a good one, no matter where you are!

SSSS at the gate ...

It did and I did ! All pockets, socks and bags swabbed.

I also had the same on my MIA SJU one but complained and it was removed.

Used the electronic passport readers at MIA .... complete waste of time because we still had to queue for an hour to be fingerprinted and photographed .... again. Lots of staff at MIA failed the attitude test! If in doubt ... shout at someone!

Parties and brewery’s .... one is a Federal Requirement and the other a local one and never the twin shall meet. 1hr 35 mins from gate to baggage recheck, then security again.

Never again.

The AA Admirals lounge at Miami refused me entry because of the new SSSS-less boarding pass issued at Miami, however they did relent in the end. They said that a biz class ticket (domestic first) was not acceptable if it was a domestic flight, so I gave them my LHR MIA pass and that was Ok.

They were also charging for spirits and most of the wines!

Not impressed!

However we are now in San Juan WITH ALL THE LUGGAGE!!!

Roll on Sunday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike, terrible news ... that is why so many avoid visiting.

If you have to pass through T3 on the way back you might want to look into the Cathay lounge for some noodles. or try out the brand new Qantas lounge which I think is now the best lounge in T3. We tried it in December just afer it opened and it was wonderful. And a gin bar! Enjoy your travels.

Post cruise ... six days on Nevis and a direct BA flight to LGW, bus to LHR etc. No so bad coming home because at least you can relax when you do arrive.

We’ll cope[emoji3]

SSSS at the gate ...

It did and I did ! All pockets, socks and bags swabbed.

I also had the same on my MIA SJU one but complained and it was removed.

Used the electronic passport readers at MIA .... complete waste of time because we still had to queue for an hour to be fingerprinted and photographed .... again. Lots of staff at MIA failed the attitude test! If in doubt ... shout at someone!

Parties and brewery’s .... one is a Federal Requirement and the other a local one and never the twin shall meet. 1hr 35 mins from gate to baggage recheck, then security again.

Never again.

The AA Admirals lounge at Miami refused me entry because of the new SSSS-less boarding pass issued at Miami, however they did relent in the end. They said that a biz class ticket (domestic first) was not acceptable if it was a domestic flight, so I gave them my LHR MIA pass and that was Ok.

They were also charging for spirits and most of the wines!

Not impressed!

However we are now in San Juan WITH ALL THE LUGGAGE!!!

Roll on Sunday.

SSSS is sooooo annoying but that's just the way it is, sadly, and I wouldn't complain about your time getting through MIA, that was actually pretty quick for that time of day. Also you've got to understand that the passport reader you used is only a minor prescreen, you still have to do the full check with a CBP person. It's not like Global Entry for which you have been fully prescreened and interviewed, the passport scan is just to check that it's you - I'm so pleased I made the effort to get it (it's available to Brits), the difference is huge - with GE which also gives you TSA precheck, once I have made the long trek from the arrival gate to the machines at MIA, I usually make it through immigration and security and am well on my way towards the Admiral's Club within 5 minutes.

Also, in the Admiral's Club, all ordinary wines and spirits are free, perhaps you wanted fancy ones? And your MIA-SJU ticket did not qualify you for entry unless you're a member, it's only the TA biz/first flights that do.

Good morning everyone.

Back in Melbourne after a great nursing reunion at the Gold Coast. The weather gods didn’t like us as it rained most of the time but it didn’t deter us.

Now for some hot weather in Melbourne after a mild summer so far. It will be 33C ( about 97F).

We are off "window" shopping to find a new couch for our new house. I’m hoping we both like the same one.

Jill

Jilly,

Do hope you post a piccy of the new couch! Like M we always agree on furniture. We were very lucky with our two current settees. We ordered two, they delivered four so we rejected two and they refused to charge us. I told them twice we hadn't paid for two but they wouldn't listen. Two nice expensive seven foot leather sofas for free.