Bears in May

Ratdoggie

We are going on a 14-day HAL cruise in May 2018. We will hit the big 3 (Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway) and also the smaller ports of Homer, Kodiak and Sitka. I know that mid to late summer is the best time to see bears and that some bear viewing excursions don't even start until June or July. I'm wondering if it's even worth it to book a bear excursion (if available) in May, or should we base our excursions on other desires. Thanks!

I probably would not. Read up, as you have been on every place you stop regarding bear viewing for May. Google it and you will find the Fish & Wildlife people have sites that tell you what to expect. Of course the tour people may "offer" it. Save your $$$ for something else.

I would not book a bear excursion. Ironically, I go in May when I go, and each time I have seen bears. Hadn't planned on it but it works out. Always be on a look out. Most bear excursions out of Ketchikan don't start until mid-July or so.

Poor man’s bear viewing is renting a car and driving up towards the Shrine of St. Therese and Eagle Beach in Juneau. There can be black bears eating the dandelions along the road in May. We’ve seen them a couple times. Beautiful area even if there aren’t any bears.

We saw bears in May on our trip to Emerald Lake with Chilkoot Tours from Skagway, but there are no guarantees of seeing them in the wild.

One guaranteed way to see bears is to visit Fortress of the Bear in Sitka. Not as exciting as seeing them in the wild, but it gives you an opportunity to view both black and brown bears up close and safely. There were also many bald eagles in the trees around the enclosures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We saw bears in May on our trip to Emerald Lake with Chilkoot Tours from Skagway, but there are no guarantees of seeing them in the wild.

One guaranteed way to see bears is to visit Fortress of the Bear in Sitka. Not as exciting as seeing them in the wild, but it gives you an opportunity to view both black and brown bears up close and safely. There were also many bald eagles in the trees around the enclosures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Definitely go to The Fortress of the Bear at Sitka. The bears are in very large enclosures (old raw water clarifiers at a defunct pulp mill) with a large viewing platform so that you're looking down at them from about 15' up. The bald eagles are a cool extra. I took these pics there last year in May.

27355521420_221fab5f49_b.jpg

27533979182_c8232fccf6_b.jpg

Even though it's probably not the best time of year for bears in the wild you might get lucky. We saw this fellow while on an Emerald Lake ride at Skagway - foraging at the side of the highway.

27565607502_266c35d746_b.jpg

Thank you all and thank you for sharing those beautiful pics SuperCrewBear.

I didn’t think it was very likely to see bears in May but wanted to compare notes. Sounds like it would a good idea to base our excursions on other things, and if we happen to see a bear then so be it. Otherwise, Fortress of the Bear in Sitka looks like a great option!

Happy Cruising!